PDA

View Full Version : What to do about asshole parking?

epp01
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I live on a small corner lot and around 2 months ago we had some construction near the front of my house causing all the cars in front of my house and about half a block not being able to park on the street. Two weeks into the construction (that lasted a month) a 96ish Green Ford Explorer parked beside my house when I wasn't home, alright. He parked just far enough ahead that you can't park in front of him because of the stop sign and just far enough back that you can't park behind him because of the alley way, however! He did park right in front of my gate accessing my yard.

1 1/2 months have gone by, and his POS explorer is STILL parked in the same place, it hasn't moved in months now. It has current registration and when I called the CPS hot line to inquire about getting it moved they said, "He lives in the area and it's registered so he can park it for up to a year and there is nothing you can do" :rolleyes:

I know where he lives about 5 houses down the block and across a street so I wrote him a note asking him to move his explorer two weeks ago.. it still remains in the same spot, he does have an alley behind his house, however his drive way is filled with shit too and more broken down cars.

What if anything can I do? With him parked beside my house it leaves me parking in the back alley, and when I parked across the street my neighbour got mad at me for parking over there, I told him shit rolls down stream and until buddy in the explorer moves his shit I can't park anywhere else. Ideas?

Stubby
01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Instead of using a "note" to talk to him, man up and talk to him in person, that will probably go a lot further than a note. :dunno:

sevewone
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.iparklikeanidiot.com/

epp01
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I went over to his house first and he wasn't home, thats why I wrote him a note. The only time I'm home is early after noon other wise I'm working or in school.

irs
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
call parking Authority.
They put a tag that the car must be moved in 72 hours or it will be towed.

Tik-Tok
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by epp01

1 1/2 months have gone by, and his POS explorer is STILL parked in the same place, it hasn't moved in months now. It has current registration and when I called the CPS hot line to inquire about getting it moved they said, "He lives in the area and it's registered so he can park it for up to a year and there is nothing you can do" :rolleyes:

Lazy ass cop giving you misinformation.

A car can only be parked on the street for 72 hours in Calgary, before it has to be moved. Call parking Authority, they will come mark the tire, and come back a few days later, if it hasn't moved, they will tow it.

epp01
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Just got off the phone with them again, even though he lives 5 houses down, because he lives in the area the explorer is parked it can be parked for over a year. He is "not breaking any bylaws" and he told me there is nothing I can do about it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Tik-Tok
01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by epp01
Just got off the phone with them again, even though he lives 5 houses down, because he lives in the area the explorer is parked it can be parked for over a year. He is "not breaking any bylaws" and he told me there is nothing I can do about it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Are you calling Parking Authority, or CPS?

CPS doesn't give a shit about parked cars, call Parking Authority

(1) Except as otherwise permitted under the Act or a bylaw, a person shall not:
(a) abandon a vehicle on a highway; or
(b) abandon a vehicle on public or private property without the consent of
the owner or person in possession or control of the property.

(2) A vehicle that is:
(a) left standing on a highway for more than 72 consecutive hours, unless
otherwise provided for in a bylaw; or
(b) left standing on public or private property for more than 72 consecutive
hours without the consent of the owner or person in possession or
control of the property

is deemed to have been abandoned at that location.

Nufy
01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Take the plate off of it.

SJW
01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I had the same problem. I just hooked on to his back tow hook and to my front tow hook a chain. Then put it in 4 LOW and backed up about 10ft.

No one ever knew.

alloroc
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Phone the parking authority and tell them there is an abandoned vehicle.

epp01
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Parking Authority? I went on their website from google, and it was the same number that the CPS hotline re-routes you too. Does anybody have the number? I used this one:

http://www.calgaryparking.com/web/guest/ContactUs

Number:
403-537-7000

JustinGTP
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by SJW
I had the same problem. I just hooked on to his back tow hook and to my front tow hook a chain. Then put it in 4 LOW and backed up about 10ft.

No one ever knew.

:rofl:

88CRX
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
can't you just call 311?

chkolny541
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

ahahahah i like this one

canuckcarguy
01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Listed phone number? Maybe call and leave him a message?

alloroc
01-19-2010, 04:38 PM
if you really don't want to report the vehicle as abondoned ...

Make a schraeder fitting that can connect to your hose.

Drain the air out of his tires and fill them with water.

You won't be able to fill them all the way like with air but his handling will never be the same again.

Masked Bandit
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by irs
call parking Authority.
They put a tag that the car must be moved in 72 hours or it will be towed.

Nope.

This same thing happened to someone I know. A guy four or five doors down left a rusty old Ford truck parked in front of my friends house for close to two years. The vehicle was registered, insured and roadworthy so CPA couldn't do a damn thing.

In the end my buddy got his hands on a rusty old P.O.S. of his own and parked it right in front of the other guys house. It took about two weeks for the two of them to "have it out" one day in the street (no fists, just yelling) and within a week the old truck was gone so my buddy removed his.

I'm guessing this 72 hour thing only applies if you are no where near your own residence.

~Touge/Wangan-
01-19-2010, 05:06 PM
THEN call it in....

;)

Dilmah
01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Tell CPA that you want to create a driveway in that spot and the car is blocking the driveway. Park your car on your lawn and call it a driveway. Just a thought...
Or put a for sale sign on it and see what happens...
Or start a road hockey game and bounce a few balls off it...
Pour some dirty oil on the ground under it and call the city and tell them it leaking oil all over the ground, maybe antifreeze would work better...
Or test out your new potato launcher...

gqmw
01-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Yep +1

Easiest way...

Although if you get in trouble with the law...or get beaten up...don't blame me:angel:

sr20s14zenki
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah
Tell CPA that you want to create a driveway in that spot and the car is blocking the driveway. Park your car on your lawn and call it a driveway. Just a thought...
Or put a for sale sign on it and see what happens...
Or start a road hockey game and bounce a few balls off it...
Pour some dirty oil on the ground under it and call the city and tell them it leaking oil all over the ground, maybe antifreeze would work better...
Or test out your new potato launcher...

Best ideas so far go to you, besides removing the plate. Plate removal would be stupid right now, because since you have called the police, you would be the first suspect, as you are probably the only one complaining. When i lived in a 4 plex in airdrie, this asshole moved into the fourplex beside us, and took up EVERY parking space with his cars, in the back. This asshole had 5 cars....dirty prick.

nonlinear
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
some great ideas in this thread, but i think your best bet is still to just go to his door and politely ask him to move the truck. you've only tried once - give it another shot.

signature7
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I also think your best bet would be to go and make nice. Anything foul play even if it wasn't you would lead it back to you.

stevieo
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
pee on his door handles when its cold out hahaha.
(wonder how many people open their car doors on a cold day, get inside their cars to blow 'warm air' on it from their mouth)

88jbody
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
yeah try a few times to talk to him to get him to move it aleast far enough so there can be another car parked behind him.

then if it doesn't work you could start to try the not so nice way of getting it moved

methodicreign
01-19-2010, 07:19 PM
what kind of dumbas, ignorant piece of shit does this in the first place. I hate it when people next door park right in front of my house, and I feel like a super douche when I have no choice but to park further down the block. My solution would be to bring home some wheel dollies from work and get the tires off the ground and push it back to his house and leave it ON the lawn or as close as possible. technically you never broke into the vehicle as you could steer the vehicle with a couple of guys and all you did was carfully, and politely moved it for him. if you dont have access to wheel dollies, there is always the 2 floor jack method of moving vehicles, although not as safe as the previous, but equally effective. I think if you ask around here someone will have a rusted out piece of crap kicking around they would be willing to lend to the cause, go park that in the most inconvienent spot in front of his house and see how fast it moves. Someone before me mentioned this idea and it seemed to work great.

nonlinear
01-19-2010, 08:33 PM
seriously though, this guy is your neighbor so you want to have good relations with him. i wouldn't call the authorities, try to get him 'busted," or try to move it yourself. that will only piss him off and make the situation worse than it already is. just man up and go talk to the guy. based on what you've said so far, it sounds like he's just a lazy, too-laidback guy who doesn't think he's causing a problem... which means he will probably be reasonable when you talk to him. just tell him that you would like him to move the car so that your handicapped mother-in-law has a close place to park when she visits (or make something else up that makes you seem like an all-around caring and courteous dude).

canadian_hustla
01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
:hijack:

sorry OP but I have a similar situation except it is with a commercial vehicle (shuttle van) which has been parked > 72 hours on a residential street

isn't that illegal?

Zero102
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
(2) A vehicle that is:
(a) left standing on a highway for more than 72 consecutive hours, unless
otherwise provided for in a bylaw; or
(b) left standing on public or private property for more than 72 consecutive
hours without the consent of the owner or person in possession or control of the property is deemed to have been abandoned at that location.

This is where the problem is, I don't have time to dig through the bylaws right now but there is one that states you can leave a currently registered and insured vehicle on a highway within (IIRC) 3 blocks of your house for up to 1 year without moving it. This is for people who park on the street and go on vacation, imagine going away for 4 days and coming back to find all your cars towed. It has legitimate purposes, but this guy is just being a prick. If you hadn't made such a fuss with the police you could likely have removed the plate and called it in a week later.

GQBalla
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by stevieo
pee on his door handles when its cold out hahaha.
(wonder how many people open their car doors on a cold day, get inside their cars to blow 'warm air' on it from their mouth)

LOL

JfuckinC
02-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Can anyone point me in the directions of a funny print off ticket? it cant be "you park like an asshole/idiot" just something funny because its for a client who always parks like a dick lol

WildWolf
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Can anyone point me in the directions of a funny print off ticket? it cant be "you park like an asshole/idiot" just something funny because its for a client who always parks like a dick lol

I have found a few good ones here:

http://www.thepayback.com/tickets.htm

Majiik
02-22-2010, 10:40 AM
just wait for parking athority to drive by and tell them you think the car is stolen and has been ditched here for over a week they will automatically call a tow truck and have it towed i did it tothis jack ass who parked outside my condo one time but he did have his fron end sticking int the middle of the road so he deffinatly deserved it!!!!!!!!!!!!