PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum polishing service. Any local suggestions?

Tuner1
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I need to have a couple of aluminum engine bits polished. Can anyone recommend a good local place to have this done?

Thanks

2EFNFAST
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I brought my stuff to ReflectionFX

Keep in mind though polished aluminum is the devil to upkeep.

Tuner1
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
01-20-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm curious to hear feedback on reflections. I had almost my entire engine polished by Fairmont electroplating. They did a great job and their pricing was reasonable but it took 2 months.

2EFNFAST
01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'm curious to hear feedback on reflections. I had almost my entire engine polished by Fairmont electroplating. They did a great job and their pricing was reasonable but it took 2 months.

Fairly speedy service. I had all my chroming done by Fairmount - good job, but usually 2-3mths until I got stuff back also.

I do all my own aluminum polishing now because I hold myself to a much higher standard (absolutely no micromarring or grain cut marks - of course doing this triples the time needed to do it)

TomcoPDR
01-20-2010, 06:06 PM

Fairly speedy service. I had all my chroming done by Fairmount - good job, but usually 2-3mths until I got stuff back also.

I do all my own aluminum polishing now because I hold myself to a much higher standard (absolutely no micromarring or grain cut marks - of course doing this triples the time needed to do it)

Is this because so you can see your muscles through the reflection?

OP, you looking purely in town? Or is central Alberta ok? (acerage shop)

Darell_n
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Can't they be clear coated like wheels to keep their shine?

2EFNFAST
01-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Can't they be clear coated like wheels to keep their shine?

Yep

But the problem I've had with 6061 and 5052 is that they are "soft" metals - meaning once they're polished, if you just rub a soft microfiber on them, chances are you'll leave micromarring behind. And there's no way you can polish them to that level, then clear them without having to touch them.

Keep in mind though I'm talking about a 110% finish - no micromarring or anything in direct sunlight. A flawless surface, 1ft away in direct sunlight. The only time I've seen people take it to that level (other than myself when I wanted to try it) is on airplanes, and they charge $$$$$$$$$ to do that .... most shops will get it shiney and leave micromarring behind (nature of the beast almost)

legendboy
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I might be intrested in doing this. I bought a largish industrial polisher and have never used it.