PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Bon Ton Meat Market

spikerS
01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I found out that my regular butcher has closed it's retail operation (grour-mart) and only does wholesale and butchering now. so I was kinda checking around, and decided I would check out the Bon Ton meat market across from the foothills hospital.

I went in there looking for 3 things.

35-40 pounds of bone in pork shoulder, usually equates to 5 nice sized pork shoulders.
5ish lbs of sausage meat
3ish lbs of thick sliced bacon.

The store looks fantastic, and all the employees in white shirts and blue aprons and bow ties. i suppressed a giggle. Service was quick in coming. I asked where I could find some bone in pork shoulders, to which he replied "I think we have some in the back, but they are frozen." Crap, means it is probably not fresh, and I will have to have it swimming all day to get it ready for trimming and the rest of the prep work for cooking tomorrow. Then I find out the price, $3.99/LB. I thought i felt my chin bounce off the hardwood floor. my 35-40lbs quickly dropped in weight and I got 2 pork shoulders weighing 16lbs.

next I asked for sausage meat. I just wanted the meat, not stuffed into any casing. Normally not an issue, and not an unusual request. They offered to make some for me, but it would be a 20lb batch. WTF am I going to do with 20lbs of sausage meat. i told em to forget it.

I never even asked about the bacon.

I got 4 individual chicken pot pies as well. ($2 per)

total bill?

$80 frickin dollars.

I feel like I have been sodomized by an 18 wheeler. If I didn't need the pork shoulders for a cook tomorrow, I would have turned and walked away, but it was the only other butcher I knew of. I should have just went to co-op. last time I was there, 19lbs for 2 pork shoulders cost me $42.

Just a heads up people, Bon Ton Meat Market is the most expensive place I have EVER been to for meat. $3.99 for bone in pork shoulder is ridiculous for a cut of meat that is not very good.

If anyone knows of a good butcher in town, I don't care how far, please let me know. as long as prices are reasonable, I will make the drive.

Neil4Speed
01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't know if the "beware" in your threat title is justified. Agreed, it is allot to pay, however, its like me going, Beware: Safeway Liquor Stores, they charge $3.50 for a 2L of Coke, whereas Superstores charges $1.25.

Do you find Butcher meat is significantly better than Supermarket fresh meat?

Stubby
01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
^^^ sucks to hear that.

I can't recall the name of it, but my family has used a butcher in Balzac a few times and they were satisfied. Mind you they were bigger orders than just a bone in pork shoulder and some sausage meat.

spikerS
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I don't know if the "beware" in your threat title is justified. Agreed, it is allot to pay, however, its like me going, Beware: Safeway Liquor Stores, they charge $3.50 for a 2L of Coke, whereas Superstores charges $1.25.

Do you find Butcher meat is significantly better than Supermarket fresh meat?

maybe you are right, but I would expect a butcher to be about on par with a supermarket. I also find that meat from a butcher is usually better prepared and cut to a higher standard than that of a supermarket.

The prices in there are just simply outrageous. I am more putting this up for people that are thinking of going there, to find somewhere else.

BigDL
01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I like Master Meats myself

signature7
01-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Prices are on the higher end for sure. I go there from time to time because of the convenience-on the way home after school. I find their patrons pretty uppity and snobbish for someone buying meat LOL. I have also seen my fair share of people complaining about the prices.

I'd have to say pretty good quality meats that I have had but I'm not that picky of a eater, so I'd enjoy safeway/coop stuff too.

Spiker If I remember correctly from your other threads, you're in the Bowness area, have you ever tried the meat place on Bowness Rd? I've never been but I've heard good things about it.

Trini
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
yea they are on the pricey side.

I've bought from them a few times.

Afrodeziak
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
I grew up with my parents going to master meats. Since then I think they've actually been able to grow their business further, I heard a lot of restaurants buy from them as well.

spikerS
01-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by signature7

Spiker If I remember correctly from your other threads, you're in the Bowness area, have you ever tried the meat place on Bowness Rd? I've never been but I've heard good things about it.

Yeah, that place is called the Gour-Mart, and I used to frequent there for most of my meats, but like I said before, they closed down the retail side of things. :cry:

signature7
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Yeah, that place is called the Gour-Mart, and I used to frequent there for most of my meats, but like I said before, they closed down the retail side of things. :cry:

Ah I see, sorry to hear that. What about second to none meats

spikerS
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by signature7

Ah I see, sorry to hear that. What about second to none meats on Bowness]

JEEBUS!

They are even more expensive! Bon Ton is $3.99 per lb, while those guys are 13.99 per kilo, or like $6.50 per pound, at least on their website. i am going to give them a call and verify tho.

Just got off the phone, yes they are more expensive, but at least they are fresh...

I think I am going to check out this other butcher at crossroads. If they are just as bad, I am going back to Co-op.

spikerS
01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Going back to Co-op i guess if i can't find a decent butcher. The pork shoulders I have bought there before were pretty good, and priced at $7.49 a KILO! Much better price for what is concidered a poor cut of the pig.

Kritafo
01-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by spikers

JEEBUS!

They are even more expensive! Bon Ton is $3.99 per lb, while those guys are 13.99 per kilo, or like $6.50 per pound, at least on their website. i am going to give them a call and verify tho.

Just got off the phone, yes they are more expensive, but at least they are fresh...

I think I am going to check out this other butcher at crossroads. If they are just as bad, I am going back to Co-op.

I use Second to None, but most of their stuff is organic and free range blah, blah, blah. Expensive yes. But they are a fantastic shop. Most of my meat is Bison and Elk from Rocky Mountain Ranch which you can buy at Second to None it's just a better deal if you drive out and by it.

We have friends that use rdlmeats and Balzac meat, heard good things about both.

HungryJack
01-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Balzac Meats FTW

HondaKid
01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I use Second to None as well, the bacon tastes like no bacon I have ever had, such flavour and texture. All the other meat I have bought there is terrific as well. They know their producers like family. Can you say that about mass meat shops?

If you expect farms and ranches to exist we need to start paying real prices for our meat. The more stuff imported from outside Alberta (look up the stats on S. Amer beef we import) the more people leaving farms and ranches. If this is not an issue for you, keep eating the cheap crap they sell at the supermarkets, oh and take a drive to Brooks and a tour of the local employers to see what is involved in the mass meat industry. You are what you eat and you are morally linked to the chain of production.

Mass meat is a fool's food.

spikerS
01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
I use Second to None as well, the bacon tastes like no bacon I have ever had, such flavour and texture. All the other meat I have bought there is terrific as well. They know their producers like family. Can you say that about mass meat shops?

If you expect farms and ranches to exist we need to start paying real prices for our meat. The more stuff imported from outside Alberta (look up the stats on S. Amer beef we import) the more people leaving farms and ranches. If this is not an issue for you, keep eating the cheap crap they sell at the supermarkets, oh and take a drive to Brooks and a tour of the local employers to see what is involved in the mass meat industry. You are what you eat and you are morally linked to the chain of production.

Mass meat is a fool's food.

That is all and well, but this is also the reason that there are fewer and fewer butcher shops and bakerys and family owned shoppes.

If you can't be competitive with supermarkets, They won't survive. I don't mind going to a butcher and paying slightly more for more personalized service, but when the two prices are not even in the same ball park, the cheaper version will win out 49/50 times. And when it comes to paying $13.99 a kilo to $7.49 a kilo, and i know the $7.49 is pretty good as I have had it before, I can make the sacrifice and eat co-ops meat.

gregh
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Try Calgary Meats

Rick & Brad are the owners, great guys.

cancer man
01-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Simon Valley butchers
or Calgary Meats only ones i use.
Or you can get horse meat for 3.00 a kilo.(damn good):love:

Jetta-2.0
01-21-2010, 05:07 AM
well you want to eat pig meat you better bring out your piggy bank and hope its full of money :rofl: :rofl:

2002civic
01-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
well you want to eat pig meat you better bring out your piggy bank and hope its full of money :rofl: :rofl:
fail:thumbsdow

Jetta-2.0
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic

fail:thumbsdow

Sooo.... your full of it and you giving it to other people? im trying to help the guy by telling him he needs to pay for the good stuff:thumbsup:

Zero102
01-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0

Sooo.... your full of it and you giving it to other people? im trying to help the guy by telling him he needs to pay for the good stuff:thumbsup:

No, you are making useless smart ass remarks that aren't funny. :dunno:

sillysod
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
allah does not approve of this thread.