PDA

View Full Version : Dsm

Popful_Mail
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
OK, I need a car junkie to educate me. What is DSM and why can't I find any info aboot them on the intranet?

thepyrofish
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Diamond Star Motors. Think Eagle Talon, Mitsu Eclipse and Plymouth Laser.

:D

Tomaz
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM

DSM = Diamond Star Motors = Garbage :angel:

Quick/Fast Garbage, but still Garbage

thepyrofish
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Just 'cause they're always broken doesn't mean they're garbage... it just means....errr....

Fuck it, I still love my shitty car. :banghead:

A790
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

DSM = Diamond Star Motors

Can be reliable AND fast if they are maintained properly. 99.99% aren't.

thepyrofish
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by A790

DSM = Diamond Star Motors

Can be reliable AND fast if they are maintained properly. 99.99% aren't.

Unfotunately, even those of us who know how to maintain a vehicle have to buy them from a pool of cars that have been abused.
I'm still working on maintenance catch up on the one I bought in the summer. I hope to start actually improving the car this year.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
My wife's has been a dream. $50 purchase price, and the only thing we've done in 4 years is the brakes and tires, lol. (mind you it's a 2.0L non-turbo, fwd)

Popful_Mail
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
OK, so is this thing a Dsm? Is it fast? Worthwhile?

http://networktransportations.com/store/images/000_0003b.JPG

Kloubek
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
DSM did include a couple of models other than the Talon/Eclipse/Laser series - though people tend to forget about the others. Yes, that is technically a DSM too.

And no, it is not worthwhile. The Avengers were boring, slow (even with the 6), useless cars.

heavyD
01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Actually they were pretty solid cars if maintained properly especially when you consider that most were modded with ghetto 90's techniques like manual and electronic boost controllers. I owned 1st and 2nd Gen DSM's and they were reliable considering how I beat on them and the 4G63 is one of the greatest 4-cylinder engines of all-time.

RUQUIKR
01-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by thepyrofish

Unfotunately, even those of us who know how to maintain a vehicle have to buy them from a pool of cars that have been abused.
I'm still working on maintenance catch up on the one I bought in the summer. I hope to start actually improving the car this year.

Exactly! IF you maintained it from the begining it is just as good as any other awd turbo car. Its funny people on here call them shit, yet the fastest 4 cylinder on this site is a DSM.

HiTempguy1
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
I just bought a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi. 195k, not a SINGLE MOD DONE TO IT. It even has the factory double din cassette/cd player (I didn't know they made cd players in 1990)! There is no hack job car alarm/starter install, no spliced stereo wiring, nothing, completely bone stock.

AND I love it. This weekend, it gets a proper stereo install, plus boost and A/F ratio gauges, along with a boost controller. Its already fun at 10psi, I can't wait to try 15 :D

94boosted
01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/dsm2fy3.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry but somebody had too

But in all seriousness DSM's are amazing cars probably the best definition of cheap speed. Absolutely loved my old Talon and I definitely plan on picking up another one as a project car in the future. If built properly they can easily be a monster.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2010, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I just bought a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi. 195k, not a SINGLE MOD DONE TO IT.
AND I love it. This weekend, it gets a proper stereo install, plus boost and A/F ratio gauges, along with a boost controller. Its already fun at 10psi, I can't wait to try 15 :D

im not sure you wont to add stress to the turbo. could blow a seal at even the slightest raise in boost, unless it is rebuilt/replaced etc..

banned3x
01-21-2010, 02:16 AM
are you guys stupid? a troll would ask this stupid question!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*&q=what+is+a+dsm+car%3F&btnG=Search&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=

gqmw
01-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by banned3x
are you guys stupid? a troll would ask this stupid question!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*&q=what+is+a+dsm+car%3F&btnG=Search&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=

I like how the second link is a beyond thread from 2006 about this....hahah

banned3x
01-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by gqmw

I like how the second link is a beyond thread from 2006 about this....hahah

try 2002

gqmw
01-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by banned3x

try 2002

oh crap I just looked at the google results...gotta be a troll

Tomaz
01-21-2010, 09:29 AM
My opinion stems from many friends owning multiple DSMs and having issues ALL THE TIME.

Agreed, any car can be reliable as long as you keep up on the maintenance. Unfortunatly for the people I know, their idea of "regular scheduled maintenance" is replacing clutches every 5-10K, with an engine rebuild every 2 years. :rofl:

A790,

I never saw your DSM in Ontario, but i sure do remember the one that you had in Calgary. How many alternators did you go through again that summer? 4? 5? lol

And the Colt you bought for the winter with the Talon Motor, I think that stopped working too.

HHURICANE1
01-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I've had mine since new ('90) so nearly 20 years on it has never had a break down or let me down. I've done the maintenance and don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I've drag raced it and done autocross as well and it's been stone reliable. Even has all the original bulbs from the factory less the headlamps.

Stealth13
01-21-2010, 11:20 AM
I have had a first and 2nd gen dsm. The 96 tsi awd i have owned over a year and only maintenance i have done is the clutch, since i started upgrading it and killed it pretty quick.

SRT10Killer
01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Actually they were pretty solid cars if maintained properly especially when you consider that most were modded with ghetto 90's techniques like manual and electronic boost controllers. I owned 1st and 2nd Gen DSM's and they were reliable considering how I beat on them and the 4G63 is one of the greatest 4-cylinder engines of all-time.

I like the tsi and the evo for some reason, but about reliability...
Why does almost every talon tsi I see 1990-1997 has either a rebuilt or a overhauled engine ?

also are the evo engines any stronger?

heavyD
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

I like the tsi and the evo for some reason, but about reliability...
Why does almost every talon tsi I see 1990-1997 has either a rebuilt or a overhauled engine ?

also are the evo engines any stronger?

First and foremost any 1990 to 1997 car is 13 - 20 years old and turbocharged engines don't last as long as NA engines for obvious reasons. That said my 1992 TSI AWD had well over 150K on it's original engine before I sold it and never burned a drop of oil even after upgrading the turbo and running more than stock boost but I did precausionary measures such as installing a high flow fuel pump, seviced injectors, used a quality boost controller, etc. Another problem is that stock DSM's are nearly impossible to find as most have been modded and many by teens as their first turbocharged. Rarely were any of these cars properly ECU tuned such as the methods widely available for todays cars which properly adjusts fuel, timing, etc for increased boost.

EVO's used essentially the same egines as DSM's until around 1996 to 2006 where the 4G63 was significantly upgraded.

SRT10Killer
02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/luca_0008/crankwalk2.jpg