PDA

View Full Version : furnace ignitor needed!!

danno
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
where can i buy i a ignitor for a lennox furnace.
model 697 tonight

barmanjay
01-20-2010, 09:12 PM
might be a bit late,.. but if it's urgent,.. you can call enmax or direct energy, they'll come out and fix for you,.. I've heard they only charge for the parts not labour if you are a customer

danno
01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
thanks not to late yet but i think i'll try and get a ignitor tommorow and see if that fixes it, if i can't fix i'll try enmax

bignerd
01-20-2010, 11:07 PM
In the mean time use your bbq lighter or a propane torch haha thats how I did it when our igniter bit the dust. Crank the furnace as high as it will go so it runs as long as possible and light by hand when you hear the gas click on.

No idea where we got our part at as a friend picked it up for me but was about $135

danno
01-20-2010, 11:24 PM
no way.. $135. looks like $15. it's all apart right now so i can just drop the new one so that's not a option, i thought about doing that but it didn't seem like a safe thing to do. if anyone knows of a place to get the part tmr that would be great. otherwise it will be a search. thanks for the help

Alterac
01-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Emco will have it.

http://www.emcoltd.com/webmap/drafts/print-address.php?city=Calgary&seg=HVAC

Czar
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Benner Plumbing and Heating would probably have it as well.

Masked Bandit
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Arpi's is where I got mine when it packed in. I think it was about $60.

bignerd
01-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by danno
no way.. $135. looks like $15. it's all apart right now so i can just drop the new one so that's not a option, i thought about doing that but it didn't seem like a safe thing to do. if anyone knows of a place to get the part tmr that would be great. otherwise it will be a search. thanks for the help

I know, ours was just a stupid piece of graphite looking stuff that broke... but thats about how much it was. I didn't have to take much apart to get to it so ours was easy to manually light. If your element/light is a piece of graphite looking stuff (I think it is actually a type of element that glows red hot and ignites the gas) do not touch that part of it with your hands when installing, the oils on your hands are not good for the element.

Doozer
01-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Czar
Benner Plumbing and Heating would probably have it as well.

Originally posted by bignerd
I know, ours was just a stupid piece of graphite looking stuff that broke... but thats about how much it was. I didn't have to take much apart to get to it so ours was easy to manually light. If your element/light is a piece of graphite looking stuff (I think it is actually a type of element that glows red hot and ignites the gas) do not touch that part of it with your hands when installing, the oils on your hands are not good for the element.

Both of these, yes.

I got mine from Benner just before Christmas when ours went. I bought 2 and they were $70 apiece, so don't go thinking it's just a $15 fix.

The lady at Benner was really nice, and she explained as bignerd did above, that you do NOT touch the graphite-looking part. She says these ignitors can last years, or days, because the ignitors are very sensitive to any spec of dirt. That's why I bought 2 - I didn't want to be in the same situation I was this time. Leaving for Florida the next day, and -30 outside.

If you've got one of these electric igniters, be prepared that it could go at any time - even just a really windy day. At least, that's the impression she left me with.