PDA

View Full Version : Starting salary for engineer at a major oil company?

charmin
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Going to be graduating with a Petroleum Engineering degree and was wondering what kind of working conditions and starting salary to expect at one of the majors? (i.e. Shell, Imperial Oil, BP, CNRL, Suncor, etc.) I do have co-op work experience, if that amounts to any increase in salary. And just a few more questions...

1) Is there a large salary gap between companies or is it pretty uniform?
2) Is there any salary gap based on GPA?
3) Has anyone worked at these companies and can give me their opinion of that specific company?

Most companies seem pretty cookie cutter and same across the board, but I can't be too sure...:dunno:

97'Scort
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Your first mistake was pigeonholeing yourself by being a PetE :)

Job market is tight right now. I'd say you'd be good to see the equivalent of $27/hour for plant work if you did well in school and have relevent co-op experience. Less if you were a C student and your co-ops had no relation.

BlackArcher101
01-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Engineer in Training ;)

Neil4Speed
01-21-2010, 07:07 AM
I would encourage you to check out the Salary Survey, will answer your questions.

http://www.apegga.org/Members/Publications/salarysurvey.html

badatusrnames
01-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Engineer in Training ;)

Member in Training.

Euro_Trash
01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Job market is tight right now. I'd say you'd be good to see the equivalent of $27/hour for plant work if you did well in school and have relevent co-op experience. Less if you were a C student and your co-ops had no relation.

Are you talking 27 her hour as a PetE Technologist, or Pet E?

OP, the range of salaries is quite wide with varying stock options, bonuses, etc. (but 27 is lower than anyone I know in the same field). However, if you are graduating this year I wouldn't be too picky (you likely wont get a chance to be picky anyways)

ExtraSlow
01-21-2010, 08:16 AM
I got my O&G degree six years ago. That's a great degree.
Salary, days off, bonuses and stock options very hugely from company to company. Your first priority should be to get some decent experience, then in five to ten years, you'll be pulling the big coin.
I'm guessing new grads right now get 50 to 60k per year. I've heard of some places paying more.
Most companies will give options, which can work out to a very significant portion of your compensation if the stock market goes your way. But those are typically locked in for several years.

So, your first question should be: what company will give the best experience and training?

Good luck out there, it's a tough job market right now from what I've seen. Grind it out, we'll be back in the boom times in a few short years.

JoniBoy
01-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by charmin
Going to be graduating with a Petroleum Engineering degree and was wondering what kind of working conditions and starting salary to expect at one of the majors? (i.e. Shell, Imperial Oil, BP, CNRL, Suncor, etc.) I do have co-op work experience, if that amounts to any increase in salary. And just a few more questions...

1) Is there a large salary gap between companies or is it pretty uniform?
2) Is there any salary gap based on GPA?
3) Has anyone worked at these companies and can give me their opinion of that specific company?

Most companies seem pretty cookie cutter and same across the board, but I can't be too sure...:dunno:

While I don't know the answers to any of your other questions I do know starting wage for Imperial is a little over $70k/yr.

Based on people I've talked to in our class who have jobs, the 70K range is sorta what to expect, but that's based on a small sample size so I could be way out to lunch here.

Aleks
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
$70k/yr sounds about right for base pay for a new eng. But like others have said, you want to look at bonus structure and options and shares as those combined can almost equal your base pay in a good year.

Smartiepants
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
$69 281 was the average last time APEGGA released theirs in May 09. I suspect things have come down a little since then.

I wouldn't say grades have much to do with it other than if you get the job. Experience is the only typical factor, and I wouldn't say it's a big one. As long as you fall in the same class.

Feruk
01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Smartiepants
$69 281 was the average last time APEGGA released theirs in May 09. I suspect things have come down a little since then.

If I'm reading it correctly, $69,281 is the average for an EIT, which you are for 3-4 years after Uni, not right out of it. I'd say $55K-60K is more reasonable from my experience (I graduated 2.5 years ago Chem Engg).

Some companies pay better. Imperial I know had higher starting wage, but they did not give a bonus or stock options. Having compared with my buddies, Apache paid the best. Encana was decent too.

GPA: Nobody cares... If you get the interview, they're already fine with your GPA. I never even had someone ask me about it in an interview.

Dr_Funk
01-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

If I'm reading it correctly, $69,281 is the average for an EIT, which you are for 3-4 years after Uni, not right out of it. I'd say $55K-60K is more reasonable from my experience (I graduated 2.5 years ago Chem Engg).

Actually, 3-4 years after grad would make you a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) and not an EIT.

I think 65-70K is what you should expect with as a new engineer. Smaller companies may pay you a bit better, but their benefits/bonuses may not be as extensive as larger companies. Also, if you return to the company that you did your internship/co-op with you will probably get a little bit higher too.

Smartiepants
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
^^^

I'd put it a little more to the 65k end of things now being as so many people out there are desperate for jobs. Also look at the bonus packages etc. Vacation is something to look at too, flex days, blah blah.

badatusrnames
01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I got my O&G degree six years ago. That's a great degree.
Salary, days off, bonuses and stock options very hugely from company to company. Your first priority should be to get some decent experience, then in five to ten years, you'll be pulling the big coin.
I'm guessing new grads right now get 50 to 60k per year. I've heard of some places paying more.

I'm working on that degree at the moment.

I'm in that salary range on my internship at an oil & gas producer, from what I understand, intern salaries are typically 80% of new grad salaries. $70k sounds about right from people I've talked to that have new grad jobs.

Super_Geo
01-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Holy shit, $70k for new grads is now the norm??! That was considered above average when I graduated in 06... most people landed in the mid-60s. Although, it's gotta be a lot harder finding a job these days. I would've thought starting salaries would drift downwards, given how many people are unemployed.

Redlyne_mr2
01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I would be more concerned about job security than starting wages. Unfortunately young engineers are the ones being let go.

Jlude
01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I would be more concerned about job security than starting wages. Unfortunately young engineers are the ones being let go.

No Shit.

I'd be more concerned with getting the job and keeping it. Get yourself some experience then in a few years, you'll be in a position of value to the company and be worth more money.

Jlude
01-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Holy shit, $70k for new grads is now the norm??! That was considered above average when I graduated in 06... most people landed in the mid-60s. Although, it's gotta be a lot harder finding a job these days. I would've thought starting salaries would drift downwards, given how many people are unemployed.

Didn't see this post.

70k for a new grad is slightly higher than what I thought it was. I figured it would have been near 60-65k

Seanith
01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I'd be more concerned with getting the job and keeping it.

This right here. I'd be happy to get anything at a good company at this point. Trust me, you're competing against guys with 1-3 years experience. It would be a mistake to act like you're the shit and have unrealistic expectations. The good companies will pay you fairly. I'd be amazed if you make $70K out of the door, but oil companies have always paid more than what i've had experience with with (EPC and Energy Infrastructure) .

turbotrip
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
the average for new grads is $64,000 right now

DJ_NAV
01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
68k is what i heard will be starting salary this year in suncor for EIT.

g-m
01-22-2010, 01:27 AM
yeap ~$70k is about right

I was making ~58k at husky during my internship last year as a mech in production/reservoir and from everyone I've talked to who graduated under the same circumstances, same internship exp, etc they all get approx 10k more than their internship. So ~70k.

and LOL at good grades. Job experience >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> grades. I'd be worried about grades if I'd never held a relevant job before...

ExtraSlow
01-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Shit, if first year EIT's get $70k, I need a raise.

Jry_79
01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Who cares what you make when you start out! based on what's going on with the industry im siding with most of the posts specifying to be happy you have a job!

Keep in mind, if you make the the big bucks right away and believe me if you don't know shiet you won't be staying there very long if something happens! First one to go IMHO!

Concentrate on experience, that should be your initial goal.

70K for a new grad LOL.......i reserve my right to comment.

Xtrema
01-25-2010, 01:58 PM
$70 for new grad was norm during the shortage. Now I would say it's around $60 and $64 is you are working directly for major firms (Suncor, Imperial, Encana, etc).

I know quite a few of these $70K new grads who are collecting unemployment right now.

Crymson
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I know of a few 4-5 year guys who found out that their "raises" were marginally better than what they were bumping new grad salaries over the last few years, and quit out of spite after finding out they were making 3-4k a year more than a guy right out of college.

PS, to the OP.

If you haven't done a co-op, you're going to find it very difficult getting into an office job with a decent oil company. Most hire exclusively from their pool of past co-op students.

and 70k is about right.

Mitsu3000gt
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM
I have several EIT friends, all are making close to or nicely over $100k/year after bonuses. They have been working for ~2-3 years, but their salaries haven't changed a whole lot I don't think

From everything I've seen, grades literally mean nothing, the only things that matter is job experience and/or who you know. I've had CEO's of other oil & gas companies tell me they would take someone with 2-3 yrs experience over a new grad with a 4.0 GPA any day. I don't think many (if any) companies actually check university grades anyways, do they?

Feruk
01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Funk

Actually, 3-4 years after grad would make you a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) and not an EIT.

Exactly, so for the PERIOD of being an EIT (till you have 4 years of experience) is the average that is posted on APEGGA's website, not for a new grad. If you average the 4 year period, a new grad would be paid less then the average.

Vanish3d
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I graduated 2 years ago,
most people start 55-65K (depending on summer experience/company etc)

most of the people who graduated with me were in the same ball park. I had a couple lil salary bumps which didnt bring me up TOO much but after seeing most of my friends laid off, I am not going to complain.

DJ_NAV
01-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I know people who started last may and september that for 70k for fresh grad. but i think they both had 2 co-op terms. I know from a reliable source that 70k is a norm due to the competition. The big companies want the best and have to compete with others.

Aleks
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
He asked about Major oil companies. Starting salary is around $70K for a new grad with 12-16 month of internship experience at major oil companies.

TDA
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM

:banghead: +1

And I thought I was doing good making 50k straight outta school in 2004....

ryanallan
01-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Why don't you check out APEGGA's web site, they have a salary survey posted

g-m
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
yea without internship prepare to work at Dennys for a few years. I feel sorry for half my graduating class but at the same time... WAY better me than them;)

No new grads that I know got laid off last year. Some took 6-8 months to find a job but 0 layoffs, including the major oil company employees.

el_fefes
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
A friend of mine is getting 75k at Transcanada. Similar situation to you some experience, first job out of Uni... she's Mechanical Eng tho...

Seanith
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
She must have 3-4 years of experience at TC then.

Smartiepants
01-29-2010, 01:17 AM
75k isn't crazy. The majors tend to pay a little more than the rest.

el_fefes
01-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Seanith
She must have 3-4 years of experience at TC then.

She did some field work w/ Encana and then a summer term in Calgary also with Encana...nothing at transcanada. she has a second major in Econ too...