PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of a flu/cold

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Just woke up with a sore throat, bad cough. What kind of medications can I buy that will knock this thing out of my system as quickly as possible. I can't afford to be sick again, last time I had this cold it lasted for 3 weeks.

GQBalla
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
vitamin C in crazy amounts.

when i start feeling sick or am i sick i pop like 10 chewables 3 times a day

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Okay so as much vit c as I can get.
What else? Money is no object here. I will buy whatever I can find on the shelf

GQBalla
01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
when i get sick take lots of hot showers, vitamin C, don't go out and sleep.

but i rarely get sick

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Can't sleep. I have a chipped and infected molar, it gives excruciating pain if I lay down have to constantly be standing/sitting up. I'm going to go to the store pretty soon and stock up on shit. Get this damn thing outta my system.

max_boost
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
No amount of $$$ can just make it disappear immediately. If anything the cold medicine you buy will suppress your symptoms which should be good enough for the time being and allow you to resume regular activities. The virus will run its course and you'll be back to normal in about 4-5 days. I've never been sick for 3 weeks, that's insane.

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
I get sick 3 times a year. after xmas. summertime, and fall/winter. its always the same cold, the same cough and the same 3-4 weeks it sits with me. I want to fuck it in its ass this time around

vengie
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Zinc tablet, once daily. Make sure there is food in your stomach, and like above mentioned, Vitamin C and rest.

silver03gt
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I use echinacea. I always get seasonal allergies in the fall and spring but this last fall I never got one since using it. most of the time the cold would only last two days if I did something about it soon enough.

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by silver03gt
I use echinacea. I always get seasonal allergies in the fall and spring but this last fall I never got one since using it. most of the time the cold would only last two days if I did something about it soon enough. how do you pronounce that? I'm leaving in a few mins to buy a shopping cart of cold remedies lol

silver03gt
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
ek-in-a-sha i guess, it will be in the pharmacy. its a herbal vitamin tablet

desto2para
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
for sore throats chloraseptic,
not sure how it works but seems to do the job

http://www.chloraseptic.com/spray-cherry.htm

Hakkola
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Vitamin C doesn't work if you're already sick, there's a reason why it isn't in cough medication.

89s1
01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
sleep always helps me. Load up on some nyquil and pass the fuck out.

hot showers or baths never hurt.

Green or white tea in mass amounts.

TimeAttack
01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Vitamin C doesn't work if you're already sick, there's a reason why it isn't in cough medication.

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/11350/200.jpg

zipdoa
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
vitamin C in crazy amounts.

when i start feeling sick or am i sick i pop like 10 chewables 3 times a day

so good... like eating sour candy. infact i consume the chewables like they ARE sour candy.

zinc throat lozenges are good as well, drink tonnes of water (obviously helps flush out your system), sleep lots, positive and optimistic attitude about recovery (i've read somewhere that people who have positive attitudes about sickness and recovery usually get over colds/flu 3x faster)

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
well im trying to think positive lol. i cant sit or lay down because of my two bad molars they throb when i sit or lay down.

i want to go and take some pics downtown with my new camera, is it really a bad idea to be outside with a bad cold?

GQBalla
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
well im trying to think positive lol. i cant sit or lay down because of my two bad molars they throb when i sit or lay down.

i want to go and take some pics downtown with my new camera, is it really a bad idea to be outside with a bad cold?

old wives tail

spike98
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Im not a doctor but im willing to bet nothing you try is going to work because your body is probably busy fighting off the infected molars.

What i do is sweat. Hit the gym. Soak in a tub. Wallow in a sauna. Just sweat. Eat some good food high in vit C and zinc. Get at minimum 8 hours of sleep. Pop a couple vic tabs (about 1000mcg)

J.M.
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I was poppin' 4 cold FX pills at a time and a shitload of vitamin C last time I had a cold/flu. Cleared me up quicker than anything else I've tried in the past + lots and lots of water.

I'd say just stay home and relax instead of going out to take new pics since you're sick and all, but that's just me.

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
I was poppin' 4 cold FX pills at a time and a shitload of vitamin C last time I had a cold/flu. Cleared me up quicker than anything else I've tried in the past + lots and lots of water.

I'd say just stay home and relax instead of going out to take new pics since you're sick and all, but that's just me. i cant sit in one spot because of my tooth pain it's virtually impossible. I didnt sleep much last night either, maybe combined 3 hours throughout the whole night.

89s1
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Do you have a dentist appointment booked?

TDFTW
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
Do you have a dentist appointment booked? Not yet. the pain only started really bad last night. I'm not going to go for an appointment until my cold is done. I have T3's and oxy's and perc's now so tonight I WILL SLEEP lol.

89s1
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Don't take too many or your sleep might be longer than expected :(

spike98
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
....I'm not going to go for an appointment until my cold is done.....

I dont want to pry but may i ask why? Honestly this seems like something you should be taking care of ASAP. Out of control infections can be horrible and even fatal.

TLC Presents TDFTW....The Man With Half of a Face

Hakkola
01-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TimeAttack

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/11350/200.jpg

Marketing. I haven't seen it in any useful medication.

Unbiased google search Vitamin C + Colds

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-c/NS_patient-vitaminc

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20250963,00.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002145.htm

http://vitamins-minerals.suite101.com/article.cfm/does_vitamin_c_prevent_or_cure_colds

Studies haven't really shown it to work. I would use medications that a proven to prevent/cure, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to throw Vitamin C in the mix.

Meback
01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
2 tylonel cold and a 2 teaspoon of nyquil. Will knock u out for hours!!

Boat
01-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Tonnes of Vit C and plenty of fluids. Drink non stop !

TimeAttack
01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Marketing. I haven't seen it in any useful medication.

Unbiased google search Vitamin C + Colds

quotes from:

Large doses of vitamin C, for example, may help reduce the duration of a cold

Vitamin C promotes healthy teeth and gums, helps in the absorption of iron, aids in the maintenance of normal connective tissue, and promotes wound healing. It also helps the body's immune system.

So you could not find any quotes that say it is negative to take it during a cold, but I have found quotes that suggest that there is a chance it could help during a cold, especially if your body is lacking the proper amounts.

dansmith11
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
i think the placebo effect of taking vitamin C during a cold is what makes it work. it goes along with the whole positive attitude towards getting better. but even if thats all its doing. its still helping :) plus vitamin C tablets taste like candy.

brownchild
02-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Echinecia(sp) +Garlic+Ginger pills. 3 pills 3 times a day right when you start feeling the symptoms, wake up next morning with symptoms gone. i used to get colds atleast twice a year before, but ever since ive been doing this its helped out a lot.

Vince1
02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Chicken broth and ibuprofen. Fix you up good as new in no time.

n1zm0
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
orange(s), cold FX and 4 drops of echinacea into a cup of water everyday till you get better. of course lots of sleeping too.

ElMaestroTaco
02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Ginger, red peppers, oranges, most importantly water

5000Audi
02-07-2010, 04:32 AM
bucklys? i live off that stuff when im sick..

but i think i get half cut off the stuff.. i usually down about a bottle a day when im sick.. haha.. not even kicking you.. i hate the affects of being sick so everytime my throat gets a bit tickle i take another chug..
most over the counter things just get rid of the symptoms.. so if you are sicks always for 2-3 weeks.. get ready to be sick for that long this time...

bituerbo
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Echinacea, pronounced as mentinoed earlier (eck-in-ey-sha). Actually a specific brand - EchinaForce Tablets. Suck one of these tablets 3x daily. Be warned, it tastes (and feels) like you're eating dirt but it does help when I have a cough or cold. Proof:

In a European clinical trial involving 119 subjects with acute cold symptoms, some were given Echinaforce, while the rest were given a placebo. Fever, coughing, watering eyes, runny nose and sore throat were assessed for levels of severity in both groups. The relief of symptoms for the group taking Echinacea was significantly higher than the placebo group: Echinaforce was effective in 68% of subjects, as estimated by the examining physician, and 78% of subjects, as estimated by the patients themselves. The tolerability of the product was found to be excellent in 98% of cases.

Given that colds had already begun to run their course in these patients - and some were already taking other medication - this trial remarkably demonstrates the efficacy of Echinaforce.

dimi
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Well I started getting sniffly and a sore throat 2 days before my epic snowboarding trip of the season, so it had to be dealt with quickly.

First 2 days I took over 20,000 mg of Vitamin C (20 pills and vit C rich foods) + 4 pills of Colf FX extra strength twice daily. Third day it started to clear up and on the fourth I was brand new and ripping the sickest powder in Revelstoke back country.

There are many heated debates about Vitamin C. It seems to work for me. Whether its the actual Vitamin C or a placebo, I could care less.

turbotrip
02-23-2010, 09:41 PM
take a few showers, some gatorade, orange juice, and cold fx and you'll be good to go

flipstah
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
I got blindsided with a cold a while ago and here was my gameplan:

- Hot shower and clear out the mucous
- Tylenol Flu Day
- Chug 2L Vitamin C juices (Pineapple, Orange, etc.)
- Tylenol Flu Night and sleep long.
- Eat regularly.

95EG6P
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Another thing that works but taste like shit is Oil of Oregano.

HondaKid
03-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Garlic cloves, pop them like M&M's
Vit. C
Stay away from all dairy products
Miso or chicken soup
As much water as you can drink
Sleep
Ginger slices (lots) in hot water
Stay inside, conserve energy

No cold should last three weeks, you need to look at making your overall immune system stronger. Might also have caused your current dental infection issues.