PDA

View Full Version : APA!!!!!!! help...

Seks
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
In the middle of writing a paper and I find that the APA publication manual (5th ed) is vague in explaining some things.

When a person thinks about dementia, Alzheimer’s disease usually comes to mind since it is known to be the most common form of dementia (Smith, 2009). Alzheimer’s disease is also the most prevalent in the elderly since the incidence of the disease increases with age (Smith, 2009).

Does anyone know if I have to put (Smith, 2009) again at the end of the second sentence?

Anyone know of any active help forums on APA?

diamondedge
01-23-2010, 12:14 PM
If both sentences are taken from different publications (but same author) then that probably has to be differentiated in your reference list. Same author same publication same page, the first citation would appear redundant.

I'm not entirely sure, sorry.

Isaiah
01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
!!!!!!! Is that really necessary !!!!!!! ?

cressida_pimpin
01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure how stringent your professor is, but in the last 5 years of university I have just put (Smith, 2009) at the end of the second sentence if it's the same author and same publication. No problems for me yet.

If you want to play it safe you could modify the sentences to the following:

When a person thinks about dementia, Alzheimer's disease usually comes to mind since, according to Smith (2009), it is known to be the most common form of dementia. Alzheimer’s disease is also the most prevalent in the elderly since the incidence of the disease increases with age (Smith, 2009).

This will cover you although it is still, although to a lesser extent, redundant.

Seks
01-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
!!!!!!! Is that really necessary !!!!!!! ?

Is it against the forum rules? Does it bother you? Do you want a cookie?

I'll echo what someone else said to you when you previously had the same problem with his subject header consisting of !!!!!!!!!!!

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=267793&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Originally posted by FullMetal
so ur blind ass can see it :D

gqmw
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Don't know for that...but for your references at the very end, this might help.

http://citationmachine.net/

Click on APA on the left hand side,
Select book, journal, webpage, etc.
Enter in the information.
Click Submit.
Generates a perfect APA format for you.

Isaiah
01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Seks

Is it against the forum rules? Nope

Does it bother you? Yes

Do you want a cookie? OK

Do I look like an idiot? Yes

Carry on.

DonJuan
01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
I'm not sure how stringent your professor is, but in the last 5 years of university I have just put (Smith, 2009) at the end of the second sentence if it's the same author and same publication. No problems for me yet.

If you want to play it safe you could modify the sentences to the following:

When a person thinks about dementia, Alzheimer's disease usually comes to mind since, according to Smith (2009), it is known to be the most common form of dementia. Alzheimer’s disease is also the most prevalent in the elderly since the incidence of the disease increases with age (Smith, 2009).

This will cover you although it is still, although to a lesser extent, redundant.

^ This is all correct. A agree bad form on the redundant referance too.

Smith (2009) at the end is perfectly fine since both consectutive sentances are paraphased from the work of Smith.

swak
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
IN APA..If you reference the writer at the beginning of the paragraph it is assumbed the whole paragraph is reflection of him and his ideas.
No need to reference twice.

If you reference him only at the end, the paragraph is assumed to be your ideas, with varification of whoevers point at the end.

This is all.