PDA

View Full Version : Panago best pizza in town? Do you think theyre bit overpriced?

Pages : [1] 2

copynpaste
01-23-2010, 06:58 PM
They dont even offer free delivery within 5km like pretty much all other pizza joints ($3). They have really good pizza, one of the few places where ill eat the crust too but I think theyre a bit overpriced and they tend to skimp on their toppings compared to say the smaller family owned joints who load on the toppings for your money. How do you think they stack up to other pizza joints?

dj_rice
01-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't consider them BEST pizza, they are better than say Dominos, Pizza Hut, Pizza 73 yes but hell even Chicago Deep Dish IMO is better than Panago.

I still prefer the smaller mom/pop joints, theres this one place up here in Edmonton, called Richards on 50th, I had their Donair Pizza :drool: :drool: :drool:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Donair Pizza:drool:

Tik-Tok
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
2nd best chain Pizza, IMO. I like Chicago Deep Dish more.

Hakkola
01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I rock Panago when I eat pizza now. Anyone been to Vogglio's lately? Haven't eaten there since last spring, still any good?

Dilmah
01-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I like Chicago Deep Dish, 531-3131 not one of the other copy cats. These guys put lots of cheese and a fair amount of toppings, not to mention they'll delivey at 3 am. :)

copynpaste
01-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I wouldn't consider them BEST pizza, they are better than say Dominos, Pizza Hut, Pizza 73 yes but hell even Chicago Deep Dish IMO is better than Panago.

I still prefer the smaller mom/pop joints, theres this one place up here in Edmonton, called Richards on 50th, I had their Donair Pizza :drool: :drool: :drool:

Ya the smaller mom/pop joints most definitely give you more toppings for your dollar. Last time I got a meatball pizza at Panny and it had like 10 tiny meatballs on the entire medium pizza. :thumbsdow

Nicks steakhouse (who everyone seems to rave about) is even worse. I had them last weekend and it was alright pizza but nothing amazing like many people I know make it out to be. Toppings for what you pay was very minimal and the crust wasnt anything special.

Tik-Tok
01-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I rock Panago when I eat pizza now. Anyone been to Vogglio's lately? Haven't eaten there since last spring, still any good?

I drove by it at noon on Thursday, and they were closed. What are they're hours supposed to be?

kevie88
01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Stavros has great pizza if you're lucky enough to live close to one. Sundays are half price if you eat in!

psycoticclown
01-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Papa John's for chain pizza for me. Best crust and freshest toppings imo.

89s1
01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

Agreed.

Also like Atlas and CDD, but nothing wrong with panago besides the value for dollar.

bourge73
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Completely agree it really is and I like their sauce. And Panago is also quite good, (Pizza Hut, Dominos, Pizza 73 are just garbage IMO) I just need to find more of the mom and pop places, they really are the best. I ll try Chicago DD next and then Mothers in the NW?

nonlinear
01-23-2010, 07:55 PM
panago is OK for corporate chain pizza, but then again so is papa john's and pizza hut. these are all better than dominos.

that said, the best pizza in the city can be found at:

1) Gondola Pizza - Chicago-style thin crust, cut into squares. my personal favorite chain in the city.

2) Il Centro or Rea's (formerly Sandro's) - neopolitan style pies. enough said.

3) Matador Pizza in Varsity. a mix between greek bar and American styles. top quality ingredients, awesome crust and sauce. one of the best pies in the city by far.

4) Tom's House of Pizza or Pizza Bob's (they both make essentially the same pie) - thin, airy, crispy crust. this style is pretty much unique to Calgary.

5) Stavros and Atlas for Greek bar pizza. not my personal favorite, but ignoring the 2-for-1 fly-by-night operations, this is the most common style in Calgary. these two places do it well, especially on 1/2 price night as someone else mentioned.

6) Vogglio was initially AWESOME, but things became very inconsistent once Luis hired some extra kitchen staff. haven't been back in over a year.

7) I've heard Al's Pizza (NW) is good, but never been there.

8) midtown Co-op makes AWESOME pizza (no kidding).

9) coco brooks is ok.

for those of you saying you like "AAAAAAAA CHICAGO DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP DISH PIZZA," I really can't do much besides chuckle. that shit is ANYTHING BUT deep dish pizza. (REAL deep dish pizza has a THIN, pie-like crust, and the whole thing is made in a pan and the ingredients are filled in, just like a typical pie). the shit they sell here is just an inch and a half of crust with cheap toppings and fake cheese food on top. :barf: :barf: :barf:

There are several other threads on this if you're interested:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=90023
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=243958
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/185209/best-pizza-i-have-ever-had-in-calgary/

nonlinear
01-23-2010, 07:56 PM
BTW, here is what a "real" deep dish pizza looks like, for those of you who've never had the pleasure of having one (the "deep dish they serve here is NOTHING like this):

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/deep-dish-pizza.jpg

bourge73
01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I am pretty excited if there is Gondola here,as I am from WPG and use to order it all the time, it is killer pizza. Might read the thread up on CDD as that wasnt much of a raving review......

(In WPG House of Pizza FTW)

black13
01-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I worked as a delivery driver for a while part time for Pizza 73, Pizza Hut, and Panago.

I've seen how their kitchens are, how the pizza is made and what-not.

And Panago is MILES above any of those. Definitely the healthiest as well.
Pizza Hut/Pizza 73 spray a shit load of oil bottom of the pan and in some cases on top of the pizza as well. Very greasy. They are still good sometimes but Panago is above all.

I can't vouch for every location because every place is run by different managers and what-not. But the Beacon Hill and Panaroma hills Panago's are top notch. Very very clean and both are run by one family in each case so you don't get employees who don't care about the business.

But yea Panago is generally expensive but their Cheese/Pepperoni pizza is always on special. Meaning Large pizza cheese or pep for $10.50 which is way cheaper than Pizza 73/Pizza hut.
Plus they have Create your own pizza with huge varieties. Try their pizza with Jalapino white sauce instead of tomato. Tastes pretty damn good. They also have a variety of free dips.

And regards to delivery, Pizza Hut and Pizza 73 charge the $3 as well but they don't get as much in trouble for late deliveries as Panago does so you will most of the time get better service from Panago.

And Chicago Deep Dish? That is probably the worst pizza I've had. Almost felt like having a heart attack after eating one slice.

copynpaste
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Completely agree it really is and I like their sauce. And Panago is also quite good, (Pizza Hut, Dominos, Pizza 73 are just garbage IMO) I just need to find more of the mom and pop places, they really are the best. I ll try Chicago DD next and then Mothers in the NW?

I dont know how people can eat PIzza hut, dominos, pizza 73, that stuff is garbage. Even Little caesars is better.

Boston pizza is pretty meh too, tastes like a cardboard box plus theyre a rip off.

nonlinear
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
I am pretty excited if there is Gondola here,as I am from WPG and use to order it all the time, it is killer pizza. Might read the thread up on CDD as that wasnt much of a raving review......

(In WPG House of Pizza FTW)

hey bourge73, yes there are several locations in the city. let me know what quadrant you are in and i can tell you the locations. i'm not from winnipeg, but from MPLS/St. Paul, and we have the same thin-crust cut into squares that you have in the peg. gondola is the only place to get it in calgary, unless you make it yourself ;) like this http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=280731

nonlinear
01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
i agree that panago is one of the better national chains, though. their ingredients are much better than a lot of the other ones. i think they're pretty much on par with like Papa John's.

and, a little piece of trivia: the original name of this B.C.-based chain was Panagopoulos Pizza. I think it kind of has a nice ring to it, but I guess the shorter name makes everything easier and cheaper haha.

GQBalla
01-23-2010, 08:41 PM
i like panago, i find their pizza good out of the chains.

im currently liking CPU though Canadian Pizza Unlimited

damn now im contemplating whether to eat like a pig and grab kfc or pizza tomorrow

Mixalot27
01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Has anyone tried one of those Bread bowl pastas from Dominoes? I've never been a big fan of dominoes but those look like they might be pretty good.

bourge73
01-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I am in Panorama Hills NW, cool bout MNPLS/St Paul been there a few times (go Vik's) I grew up right on the border of Int'l Falls, MN and there is a insane pizza place there called Border Bar. Seriously better than anything in this thread.

nonlinear
01-23-2010, 09:58 PM
well, you're a bit far north, but these are the two closest locations:

7-1332 Northmount Drive Northwest, Calgary, AB T2L 0E6, Canada‎ - (403) 220-0290‎

2101 Centre Street Northwest, Calgary, AB, Canada‎ - (403) 276-7708‎

you can dine-in at the Centre St. locatoin, so that might be your best bet. it's also an indian restaurant (but make the same pizza), and be careful for the guy that owns the place. people call him the "curry nazi" hahah. do a search on here and you'll see waht i mean :thumbsup:

chathamf
01-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Anyone like Varsity Pizza (lil place on the corner of Shag and Varsity Drive? Lived by there for a couple years and would always get their pizza because it was quick and cheap, but after a while I started to like them more then any of the other pizzas around.

Really nice people running the place and they have quality ingredients and lots of yummy cheese.

Kritafo
01-23-2010, 11:33 PM
gosh nonlinear your killing me with the deep dish picture. We use to drive an hour to Detroit for killer pizza. I really thought I was starting to enjoy pizza here in Calgary until I went back home. lol.

Disoblige
01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
BTW, here is what a "real" deep dish pizza looks like, for those of you who've never had the pleasure of having one (the "deep dish they serve here is NOTHING like this):

Lol.. I don't know if I would like it.. For me, thinner the better.

Kardon
01-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Papa Johns>Panago for chain stuff. CPU is solid, but best pizza was this little bar in huatulco mexico.

suen_boi
01-24-2010, 12:45 AM

6) Vogglio was initially AWESOME, but things became very inconsistent once Luis hired some extra kitchen staff. haven't been back in over a year.

Vogglio's is becoming increasingly mediocre, but still a mile above most chains.

Al's Pizza only gets that reputation because of its location across from a high school. Not that good.

yipb
01-24-2010, 12:54 AM
al pizza is in ranchlands, isn't it?

GQBalla
01-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by suen_boi

Al's Pizza only gets that reputation because of its location across from a high school. Not that good. [/B]

what high school?

didn't know ranchlands had a high school.

know1edge
01-24-2010, 02:55 AM

nonlinear
01-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Lol.. I don't know if I would like it.. For me, thinner the better.

i hear what you're saying. Deep dish is really like a "pie," filled with cheese (bottom layer), toppings, and then sauce on top. sometimes there is even another layer of crust on the top (i think the one in that picture has a top crust. so, while the crust is thin, the whole thing is thick, and is mostly cheese, sausage, etc. etc. etc. that's why everyone in chicago/eastern 'sconny is so fucking fat hahahahahha!

bulaian
01-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I haven't eaten at Panago for years and will continue to not eat there until they stop using that annoying fat fuck construction guy in their commercials :banghead:

legendboy
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
panago is OK for corporate chain pizza, but then again so is papa john's and pizza hut. these are all better than dominos.

that said, the best pizza in the city can be found at:

1) Gondola Pizza - Chicago-style thin crust, cut into squares. my personal favorite chain in the city.

2) Il Centro or Rea's (formerly Sandro's) - neopolitan style pies. enough said.

3) Matador Pizza in Varsity. a mix between greek bar and American styles. top quality ingredients, awesome crust and sauce. one of the best pies in the city by far.

4) Tom's House of Pizza or Pizza Bob's (they both make essentially the same pie) - thin, airy, crispy crust. this style is pretty much unique to Calgary.

5) Stavros and Atlas for Greek bar pizza. not my personal favorite, but ignoring the 2-for-1 fly-by-night operations, this is the most common style in Calgary. these two places do it well, especially on 1/2 price night as someone else mentioned.

8) midtown Co-op makes AWESOME pizza (no kidding).

9) coco brooks is ok.

for those of you saying you like "AAAAAAAA CHICAGO DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP DISH PIZZA," I really can't do much besides chuckle. that shit is ANYTHING BUT deep dish pizza. (REAL deep dish pizza has a THIN, pie-like crust, and the whole thing is made in a pan and the ingredients are filled in, just like a typical pie). the shit they sell here is just an inch and a half of crust with cheap toppings and fake cheese food on top. :barf: :barf: :barf:

There are several other threads on this if you're interested:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=90023
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=243958
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/185209/best-pizza-i-have-ever-had-in-calgary/

very supprised spiros wasn't mentioned in this list.

best i have had :dunno:

egmilano
01-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Anyone had Roma's pizza in bridgeland ?
It's awesome, can stop ordering, they diliver pretty far im in huntington and the 5 dollar delivery is well worth it, thin but not too thin and great ingredients.:) :drool:

msommers
01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Wow that's super close, I'll have to giver a go! What do you recommend?

88CRX
01-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Western Pizza in Cranston :drool: :drool:

Lonely Pepperoni is by far the best pep pizza ever :drool:

egmilano
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Wow that's super close, I'll have to giver a go! What do you recommend?

I love peperoni,
I usually order Large pep w/ extra cheese,
thier hawaiin is great, and if you like meat lovers
I can definitly say thiers is my favorite.

Strider
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
2101 Centre Street Northwest, Calgary, AB, Canada‎ - (403) 276-7708‎

That one's long gone. Replaced by a greek restaurant called Calypso

nonlinear
01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
msommers, please let us know what you think about this place in bridgeland, since egmilano is most likely just shilling....

(remember terrence at Muco Burrito? hahah)

HuMz
01-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Panago is pretty decent like non linear said its right up there for chains with Papa Johns.

Suprised people have actually said Chicago deep dish, I can't even eat that shit drunk late at night. Everything about there pizza tastes gross IMO esspecially the cheese and cardboard like crust.

D'z Nutz
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't have the most distinguished taste buds, but even I know Panago tastes like crap.

Plus I hate that fat fucker on the commercials.

extm88
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
chicken bacon club with panago ftw.
I hadent eaten their pizza in so long that i was out with friends and was searching panagopolis pizza on my phone with no results.....when did they shorten the name?

nj2Type-S
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Has anyone tried one of those Bread bowl pastas from Dominoes? I've never been a big fan of dominoes but those look like they might be pretty good.

i ordered one for pick up a couple of nights ago. they said it'll be ready in 10 - 15 mins. i get there about 20 mins after i called and they've forgotten to make it. bastards...:banghead:

dj_rice
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

i ordered one for pick up a couple of nights ago. they said it'll be ready in 10 - 15 mins. i get there about 20 mins after i called and they've forgotten to make it. bastards...:banghead:

Did they offer to give you the pizza free to make up?

nj2Type-S
01-28-2010, 01:15 PM
i hadn't eaten in almost 8 hrs and i was just too hungry to wait for them to make it on the spot so i went and got a burger instead, lol.

i was originally trying to get ahold of pizza hut to order a p'zone but noone was answering after 3 attempts. :dunno:

Vince1
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I like the Deep Dish next to the LC across from the Mohawk on Bowness Road... always fixed me up nice!

Sorath
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
i remember when a friend of mine worked at a panago. i`d go in on the friday night when the manager wasnt around and make my own pizza, and damn that was good, i was full off 1 slice lol

greasy pizza ----> CPU

Less greasy pizza --------> Vogglios and puchanellis (sp?)

natejj
01-28-2010, 06:31 PM
I got a personal Pizza and pop for $6 the other day from Panago... can't beat that, even if it did cause me to destroy my toilet 2 hours later.

extm88
01-28-2010, 06:54 PM
^^^ pulcinellas is great zaw but not very filling imo and you cant roll in with sweats and a hoody for take out lol. Sometimes thats the best thing about za is delivery

Vince1
01-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by natejj
I got a personal Pizza and pop for $6 the other day from Panago... can't beat that, even if it did cause me to destroy my toilet 2 hours later.

Lol ya I would get that too from the Pizza 3000 in the same strip mall as DD on Bowness road, so i figured since I'd be spending just as much on asswipe I should splurge a bit for better pizza.

Vince1
01-28-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by extm88
^^^ pulcinellas is great zaw but not very filling imo and you cant roll in with sweats and a hoody for take out lol. Sometimes thats the best thing about za is delivery

I'd roll in there in my dirty work clothes and park my truck as close as possible to the front door and let it idle lol

msommers
02-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Decided to give Roma's a try tonight.

None of us thought it was really that great. I think their ingredients were quality though, but the sauce and just overall how it tasted wasn't anything write home about.

Greek salad was decent though. But for a large meat lovers and a salad, with tip, was 38.00 bucks! And that didn't even include delivery charge.

One guy mentioned we should have gone with Demitri's...never heard of it but a few seemed to like a chicken spinach pizza.

el_fefes
02-13-2010, 04:13 PM
You guys have to try the hop in brew... that house pub on 12 ave. They have some awesome pizza and quite the selection of beer too. :drool:

nonlinear
02-13-2010, 04:35 PM
^^yea, i've had their pies before, they are very good. awesome beer selection, too. that's probably my favorite pub in the city, actually.

extm88
02-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Im a big fan of panago. Since dominoes recently changed their recipe I decided to give it a shot. It was actually really good however the taste was all washed away with the $25 (inc 3 km delivery) charge for a pizza that was ridiculously small.
Panago ftw

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 10:41 PM
oh i didn't know dominos changed their recipes... when did they do that? i'll have to give it a try soon.

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
can anyone confirm that dominos had changed the recipe? i just did some reading, and from what i understand, the recipe has not changed in canada. i've read this in at least two different places.

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by extm88
Im a big fan of panago. Since dominoes recently changed their recipe I decided to give it a shot. It was actually really good however the taste was all washed away with the $25 (inc 3 km delivery) charge for a pizza that was ridiculously small.
Panago ftw

yea, sorry to burst your bubble man, but the shit you ate is the same old crappy recipe that the new US ad campaign is attacking

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=2529418&sponsor=

swak
02-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I used to work in the kitchen at Nicks, and their big thing was 'dont skimp on the toppings'.
IMO, they are the BEST in the city.

But for a chain, Papa Johns gets my business.
Awesome crust, fresh and good quality toppings.

Panago is better than the rather though (pizza 73, pizza hut, little ceasar, and all them) though.

baygirl
02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
I want to try Chicago Deep Dish, but have been told it makes a difference which one I order from. Is this true? I fiqured it would be like (e.g.) Pizza Hut, where it tastes the same, no matter the location.

nonlinear
02-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
I want to try Chicago Deep Dish, but have been told it makes a difference which one I order from. Is this true? I fiqured it would be like (e.g.) Pizza Hut, where it tastes the same, no matter the location.

i would recommend reading the entire first page of this thread before you pay any money for the crap that they call "deep dish" in this city.

and, all of the AAAAAAA CHICAGO DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP DISH places in calgary are independently operated. that's why they all have different numbers of As and DEEPs in the name. :rofl: seriously, it's NOT deep dish pizza, it's just shit spread on 1.5" thick crust. don't waste your time or your money.

this is deep dish pizza. notice that the crust is very thin, and the fillings are the main event, just like a regular pie. you can't find this anywhere in calgary (unless you make it yourself):

this is what you're going to get in calgary. trust me, it's just really thick crust topped with the shittiest quality ingredients money can buy:

http://chicagodeepdishpizza.supersites.ca/nss-folder/pictures/EarthsHarvest.jpg

baygirl
02-15-2010, 12:05 AM
So you're telling me if I want a real deep dish pizza, I have to make my own. This could get interesting!
Thanks for the info.

nonlinear
02-15-2010, 12:07 AM
here ya go: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0bc808f8747e3dc877dcc1bc063be79e&board=25.0

flipstah
02-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Panago is overpriced for what you get; you get better stuff at Boston Pizza. And I'm not a fan of BP.

What do people think of Papa John's? I like their thin crust pizzas and I'm pretty satisfied whenever I order there.

Best pizza I've ever had though (IMO) is this place in Temple called Rio Pizza. Best thin crust pizza and it's always loaded with toppings. :thumbsup:

nonlinear
02-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Panago is overpriced for what you get; you get better stuff at Boston Pizza. And I'm not a fan of BP.

What do people think of Papa John's? I like their thin crust pizzas and I'm pretty satisfied whenever I order there.

Best pizza I've ever had though (IMO) is this place in Temple called Rio Pizza. Best thin crust pizza and it's always loaded with toppings. :thumbsup:

yea, i've never had Rio before, but i've heard a couple of people say it's good (mostly beyonders, cause beyond is ghetto like dat hehhehe).

in all seriousness, though, I would really, really like to see a nice review with photos on the pizza there. flipstah, you should consider that next time you get pie there. you know, nice pics of the pizza and stuff.

adam c
02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
omg i want pizza so bad right now is anything open?

Atlas was the best pizza but i went there a couple weeks ago and their pizza just isn't what it used to be

Vern's has anyone had that? it's pretty damn good and thick

I've never been a fan of panago so maybe i'll give Chicago deep dish another try

masoncgy
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Panago is overpriced for what you get; you get better stuff at Boston Pizza.

BP's is far more overpriced for what you get.

flipstah
02-15-2010, 02:17 PM

yea, i've never had Rio before, but i've heard a couple of people say it's good (mostly beyonders, cause beyond is ghetto like dat hehhehe).

in all seriousness, though, I would really, really like to see a nice review with photos on the pizza there. flipstah, you should consider that next time you get pie there. you know, nice pics of the pizza and stuff.

I shall! It'd be nice to do a full-length review. :thumbsup:

know1edge
02-15-2010, 07:26 PM

pinoyhero
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
On rec from another beyonder from this thread I tried Gondola, totally forgot about it as I used to have it as a kid from the Oakridge location.

Absolute best thin crust around, amazing ... I will not order from another spot in town again.

We used to get the thin crust whole wheat from panago all the time and liked it alot. Tried Nick's for the superbowl and thought it was total mediocre.

Gondola FTW!

msommers
02-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I keep forgetting about Gondola's! Next one is gonna be from there

Shunsui
02-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
My brother worked there a few years back and laughed when he read that.

I've tried Panago's but we get Pizza 73 or CPU.

nonlinear
02-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
On rec from another beyonder from this thread I tried Gondola, totally forgot about it as I used to have it as a kid from the Oakridge location.

Absolute best thin crust around, amazing ... I will not order from another spot in town again.

We used to get the thin crust whole wheat from panago all the time and liked it alot. Tried Nick's for the superbowl and thought it was total mediocre.

Gondola FTW!

that must have been me because I hype the shit out of that place. gondola is most certainly one of the best pies in the city, and the only midwestern-style thin crust. you guys should all try it if you haven't had it... stop sleeping on this pie!

nonlinear
02-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Shunsui

what??? papa johns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pizza 73 or CPU (:barf: :barf: :barf: )

and i'm not even a fan of papa johns. it's just that pizza 73 and (especially) CPU are THAT BAD!

Vince1
02-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by adam c
omg i want pizza so bad right now is anything open?

Atlas was the best pizza but i went there a couple weeks ago and their pizza just isn't what it used to be

Vern's has anyone had that? it's pretty damn good and thick

I've never been a fan of panago so maybe i'll give Chicago deep dish another try

Dude.... as delicious as that authentic deep dish looks, when you get a T-Rex from Vern's you won't care that there's nothing in the middle! I have never seen any pizza joint in town pile the toppings on so thick. You need a fork to eat it! :thumbsup:

flipstah
02-27-2010, 06:26 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295499

BAM.

Ukyo8
02-27-2010, 06:48 PM

That looks totally disgusting IMO

nonlinear
02-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8

That looks totally disgusting IMO

thanks for sharing :rolleyes:

KrisYYC
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't see how Panago is any better than the other chains. Especially their prices. $20 gets you a pathetic little pizza from Panago that barely feeds two people, where as $20 at Pizza Hut or Pizza 73 gets you shitloads of pizza.

If panago tasted that much better I could understand, but I just don't taste much of a difference.

At least Little Ceasars pathetic pizzas are only $5 and ready to go at any time.

Re: Gondola pizza. I didn't know these still existed in Calgary. There used to be on on Acadia drive not far from Beaverbrook. Never got a chance to go to it before it closed, though I remember going to Gondola in Winnipeg when visiting family there as a kid. Super thin crust.

know1edge
03-02-2010, 06:40 PM

TYMSMNY
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Shunsui

Which CPU? I heard the one in Douglasdale/glen??? is good. I've tried other CPUs and :barf: :barf: :barf:

Panago isn't bad at all.. I think the quality is better than something like Pizza73 or Little Caesars.

black13
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
I don't see how Panago is any better than the other chains. Especially their prices. $20 gets you a pathetic little pizza from Panago that barely feeds two people, where as $20 at Pizza Hut or Pizza 73 gets you shitloads of pizza.

If panago tasted that much better I could understand, but I just don't taste much of a difference.

At least Little Ceasars pathetic pizzas are only $5 and ready to go at any time.

Re: Gondola pizza. I didn't know these still existed in Calgary. There used to be on on Acadia drive not far from Beaverbrook. Never got a chance to go to it before it closed, though I remember going to Gondola in Winnipeg when visiting family there as a kid. Super thin crust.

Actually Panago's Pepperoni or Cheese is the CHEAPEST out of all the chains with the exception of Little Ceasars and even in that case I think it's a one dollar difference which is nothing when Little Ceasars pizza is pre-made and tastes like cardboard.

Panago's large cheese or pep - $10.50
They don't put it on the menu so people order other stuff. I agree that it is expensive but walk into any Panago and then walk into Pizza 73/Pizza hut. I can garuntee you the kitchen area and staff are way cleaner than those other chains.
Pizza Hut's dough, only lasts one day and bad stores tend to reuse them the next day when they run short leading to :barf:

Neil4Speed
03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Any of you guys getting the Personal Pizzas? I think these are great for when your just craving some pizza but don't want to get the full one. They are tremendous value too, all around $5-5.50 for a 8" pizza. Nice size, fresh, and tasty - really cheap when you think about it! I think their prices are pretty reasonable actually, even their add ons, whether it be breadsticks, salads, wings. I don't really like to admit this, but I was there every day last week... lol

Only problem - sometimes the people at Panago just don't want to make it! I think its not worth their while or something but try it out if your looking for an alternative.

imo on Pizza in Calgary.

P73/CPU should only be consumed if its 3:00AM, too drunk to care.

Pizza Hut/Dominoes is what it is... pretty whatever pie that you probably don't order due to the fact that you can see past their commercials and offers. Word on the street is that Pizza Hut makes amazing wings.

Papa John makes a decent pizza, but usually a little flat on toppings.

Panago is a bit like PJ's except more exotic ingredients and varieties.

Rio is great, I had it a little while ago but enjoyed it. Would go more often if it was closer.

Matadors in Varsity makes a great pie, lots of cheese, very blue collar pizza, but good. Van's Pizza on 17th is quite similar.

Vogllios used to be a pretty cool find, the best pizza in town. Its still good, albeit not as good as it was - but somehow ends up becoming pretty expensive.

Pucinellas in Kensington makes wonderful pizzas and is a must try out. The Divola is my favorite there. Wonderful flavour and texture.

nonlinear
03-20-2010, 10:24 AM
ok, for some reason we decided to order panago a couple of days ago, and man, I have to say that shit was terrible. I haven't had it in a couple of years at least, but I did remember thinking it was pretty good for what is was, especially compared to other corporate pizza pushers like dominoes and pizza hut. but geez, this crap was horrible. there was pretty much zero toppings on this thing. i ate like 3 or 4 pieces and swear that i only got 1 banana pepper and one piece of sausage. that was it. also, the entire overall taste and quality is just so plasticy and fast food. i don't know how anyone could want to eat that shit.

seriously, for anyone who likes this crap, or any of the giant pizza chains, go get a real pizza at somewhere like matador, Tom's, Pizza Bobs, gondola, etc. and i promise you won't want to eat that fast food crap ever again.

Stubby
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
++ for Matadors in Varsity. Favorite pizza in the city by far, and the rest of the menu is pretty decent as well. I tend to dine at this place at least once a week :drool:

flipstah
03-20-2010, 10:58 AM
ok, for some reason we decided to order panago a couple of days ago, and man, I have to say that shit was terrible. I haven't had it in a couple of years at least, but I did remember thinking it was pretty good for what is was, especially compared to other corporate pizza pushers like dominoes and pizza hut. but geez, this crap was horrible. there was pretty much zero toppings on this thing. i ate like 3 or 4 pieces and swear that i only got 1 banana pepper and one piece of sausage. that was it. also, the entire overall taste and quality is just so plasticy and fast food. i don't know how anyone could want to eat that shit.

seriously, for anyone who likes this crap, or any of the giant pizza chains, go get a real pizza at somewhere like matador, Tom's, Pizza Bobs, gondola, etc. and i promise you won't want to eat that fast food crap ever again.

Why you still ordered when you frequent this thread is beyond me. :barf:

HiTempguy1
03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
While I know there are a lot of haters of Pizza 73 in this thread, there is a way to make their pizza much better (IMO):

Ask for them to cook it WELL DONE, or CRISPY. Makes it less soggy/greasy, the crust has a nice crisp outside while still soft inside, seems to help with grease. I'm a poor student, so $10 for a medium 3 topping pizza = win in my books. I've found that as soon as you start trying to find "good" pizza, the price goes through the roof :(

heavyD
03-20-2010, 01:59 PM
There's a place called Pizza 3000 in Bowness. For the money IMO it's much better than any of the chains and cheaper.

Spoons
03-20-2010, 03:45 PM
How is Panago over priced?

I remember I could get 2 large pizzas for ~$20. Pretty cheap to me...

btimbit
03-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I think Panago's pizza is alright, but their dough isn't that good. Prices are good, but I'd take Papa John's over it any day.

princeaidin
03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Theres this place in coventry something like western canada pizza or something like that.

Really GOOD!

It was kind of like the deep dish picture, crust is like a pie crust, but more like pie size and not cake pan size.

Awesome pizza lots of toppings really fresh. But pricey

I agree with whoever said it pizza starts to get expensive when you try to get "GOOD" pizza

narou
03-20-2010, 07:56 PM

:barf:

nonlinear
03-20-2010, 09:11 PM
^^^world's biggest moran.

Disoblige
03-20-2010, 09:46 PM
^^^world's biggest moran.

Or is he? :rofl:

nonlinear
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
most def...

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2009/03/01-07/moran.jpg

asifka
03-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by princeaidin
Theres this place in coventry something like western canada pizza or something like that.

Really GOOD!

It was kind of like the deep dish picture, crust is like a pie crust, but more like pie size and not cake pan size.

Awesome pizza lots of toppings really fresh. But pricey

I agree with whoever said it pizza starts to get expensive when you try to get "GOOD" pizza

Tried western pizza today for first time. I ordered Alfredo chicken pizza, it was awesome, excellent quality :thumbsup: . $15 for 10" is expensive tho.

03-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Anybody try out Tom's house of pizza lunch buffet? How does it compare to Pizza Hut's lunch buffet (That's the only pizza buffet I've ever had). I've been wanting to try that for quite awhile now.

GTS4tw
03-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by narou

:barf:

+1, it looks like someone took a shit in a yorkshire pudding.

know1edge
03-21-2010, 01:31 PM