PDA

View Full Version : USA Today: Drifting

Altezza
11-27-2003, 12:46 PM
USA Today attempts to teach drifting:

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/graphics/gdrifting/flash.htm)

2000impreza
11-27-2003, 12:59 PM
lol. pull the e-brake? are they explaining how to drift a fwd car? haha.

Altezza
11-27-2003, 01:12 PM
haha, I never claimed they did a good job explaining it

EK 2.0
11-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Gee, I can see it now...

"City police bust a ring of street racing youths practising the art of drifting...No one is sure who the ring leader of the group is...Officials are tight lipped about where the documentation was retrieved to teach the youngsters how to do this...But fingers are pointing at USA Today..."

Man oh man...:dunno:

DJ Lazy
11-27-2003, 01:38 PM
:rofl: :rofl:
what gonna be next?:rolleyes:

nex
11-27-2003, 02:50 PM
USA Today teaches youth how to masterbate!

littledan
11-27-2003, 03:36 PM
the ebrake is a valid technique to initiate a drift... if you really want to learn drifting download "drift bible" with keichi tsuchiya(sp?)... the drift king... he goes over the different ways to drift...

power over
feint
ebrake
shift-lock
braking

forgot the others... check it out it's a wicked vid!

Seanith
11-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Listen to that tard talk about the technique. He sounds like a 4 year old reading a book! lol

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by littledan
he goes over the different ways to drift...

power over
feint
ebrake
shift-lock
braking

forgot the others... check it out it's a wicked vid!

Wooo FWD drifting E-brake style! Too bad USA today used a Supra to demonstrate drift, theres gonna be a run on ebrake cables now.

"you pull the emergency brake. Push in the clutch so you do not... uhhhhhhh kill the car"
-Alex "Tard" Pfeiffer
:rofl:
man I gotta remember that... I musta killed at least 10 cars that way

littledan
11-27-2003, 05:58 PM
^^^ he's talking about using a RWD car... so when you pull the ebrake you push in the clutch so you don't stall the motor...

skandalz
11-27-2003, 06:06 PM
just to let you guys know that this technique does work. i have tried it on my PS2 playing Grand Turismo. And if video games has taught us anything it's that real life and video games are one in the same... trust me.

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah I realize that, but it doesnt killl the car.. if u are going 50mph and have a decent engine and dont drop the clutch.. the car wont stall and u wont KILL it... he makes it sound like the drifting holocaust. The explaination was just lacking imo.. thats all I was saying

Illusionsir
11-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Yeah I realize that, but it doesnt killl the car.. if u are going 50mph and have a decent engine and dont drop the clutch.. the car wont stall and u wont KILL it... he makes it sound like the drifting holocaust. The explaination was just lacking imo.. thats all I was saying

ya it will stall or distroy your tranny. when you lock up the rear wheels that means the drive shaft stops hence pressing the clutch and letting it spin freely. unless you have special U-joints that keep rotating when the wheels are at a stop or maybe even a magical diff that does the same.

either way, thats REALLY hard on your drive train...

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir

ya it will stall or distroy your tranny. when you lock up the rear wheels that means the drive shaft stops hence pressing the clutch and letting it spin freely. unless you have special U-joints that keep rotating when the wheels are at a stop or maybe even a magical diff that does the same.

either way, thats REALLY hard on your drive train...
:rolleyes:
Ummm driftin is hard on everything... so its kinda pointless to say its gonna ruin the drivetrain. FYI its not impossible to drive with the ebrake on.. hence why I said if u had a good engine and you were travelling at 50mph like the idiot said, it wouldnt lock the wheels... maybe u havent driven a RWD

Lo)2enz0
11-27-2003, 07:12 PM
wow, the way to go straight through your brakes. doing it that way you are better off taking both feet put one on the brakes and one on the gas.

But personally with the ka24e I can pull some insane drifts with the power its putting out. just downshift when your starting your turn and hit the gas and your back should kick out. plus I would never suggest a begginner to start drifting at 50mph. thats asking for them to lose control and crash.

laurier

hooligan
11-27-2003, 07:47 PM

Ummm driftin is hard on everything... so its kinda pointless to say its gonna ruin the drivetrain. FYI its not impossible to drive with the ebrake on.. hence why I said if u had a good engine and you were travelling at 50mph like the idiot said, it wouldnt lock the wheels... maybe u havent driven a RWD

holy shit dude, ban me beofre I begin........It's people like you who ruin these websites........

"if u had a good engine and you were travelling at 50mph"

ok do this,with your "good engine" go down the road at 50 mph or 100 or 10, lock up the brakes with out pressing the clutch and see what happens?

I'll save you the trouble............The motor stalls,

It's possible to restart the motor by releasing the brakes but if you were drifting then it's way better to have power right there and not wait the half a second it takes for the engine to start up again......so you would press down on the clutch, thats the best and most easy thing to do!

plus it is hella easy to lock up both rear wheels with the E brake......"FYI its not impossible to drive with the ebrake on.. " I wonder how you learned that?:rofl:

mutsuraboshi
11-27-2003, 08:07 PM
:drama:

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by hooligan

holy shit dude, ban me beofre I begin........It's people like you who ruin these websites........

"if u had a good engine and you were travelling at 50mph"

ok do this,with your "good engine" go down the road at 50 mph or 100 or 10, lock up the brakes with out pressing the clutch and see what happens?

I'll save you the trouble............The motor stalls,

It's possible to restart the motor by releasing the brakes but if you were drifting then it's way better to have power right there and not wait the half a second it takes for the engine to start up again......so you would press down on the clutch, thats the best and most easy thing to do!

plus it is hella easy to lock up both rear wheels with the E brake......"FYI its not impossible to drive with the ebrake on.. " I wonder how you learned that?:rofl:

Oh nooo not a flamer. Gimme a freaking break. I've driven out of my driveway with the ebrake on, I am sure you've done it once or twice so don't bother with dumbass replies like that. The fact of the matter is that it doesnt KILL your car. Watch drifting sometime.. They end up replacing parts all the time, its hard on every suspension and driveline part, including the engine. You don't need to use the ebrake to drift, as someone stated there are many ways to initiate a drift. But I'd love to watch you lock your back brakes with the ebrake at 80km/h in a turn, and maintain control of a RWD vehicle after you release it. I stated that I thought thier explaination was lacking, it takes a lot of pressure to lock a rear diff when in motion (at that speed) with the ebrake, and it won't ruin the car any more than drifting the crap outta it..
Your understanding of clutch starting a car is simply outstanding, thanks for filling me in on that little secret...

mutsuraboshi
11-27-2003, 08:19 PM
:drama:

hooligan
11-27-2003, 08:21 PM
i've done that before, locking up the rear brakes and then letting go and still maintain contol! just give it up.

Illusionsir
11-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by hooligan
i've done that before, locking up the rear brakes and then letting go and still maintain contol! just give it up.

Agreed dude.

primerdrift: your just making your self sound even more stupid. if you can move with your ebrake on, its not doing its job. and as hooligan said previously, feel free to go onto the road with a RWD and hit 50 mph then pull up the e brake with the car in gear and see what happens.....

dont talk shit till you come back and realize your wrong.:rolleyes:

Illusionsir
11-27-2003, 08:32 PM
(sorry for the double post)

Oh nooo not a flamer. Gimme a freaking break. I've driven out of my driveway with the ebrake on, I am sure you've done it once or twice so don't bother with dumbass replies like that. The fact of the matter is that it doesnt KILL your car. Watch drifting sometime.. They end up replacing parts all the time, its hard on every suspension and driveline part, including the engine. You don't need to use the ebrake to drift, as someone stated there are many ways to initiate a drift. But I'd love to watch you lock your back brakes with the ebrake at 80km/h in a turn, and maintain control of a RWD vehicle after you release it. I stated that I thought thier explaination was lacking, it takes a lot of pressure to lock a rear diff when in motion (at that speed) with the ebrake, and it won't ruin the car any more than drifting the crap outta it..
Your understanding of clutch starting a car is simply outstanding, thanks for filling me in on that little secret...
:whocares:

What does this last paragraph have to do with anything your arguing about???

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 08:37 PM
:rofl: Ok you win. It will kill your car to make it stall.

You guys need to brush up on your reading instead of arguing that impossible to have your tires spin with the ebrake on. Cuz thats all I am saying. I have not heard of an e-brake that is hydralic. The ebrake is a simple mechanical (with rachet) brake, it takes HUGE amounts of pressure to slow a car from 80km/h.

Holigan is your birthdate right in your info? 1987? Did you do this recently with you mom or dad in the car? Go down deerfoot and find out what happens when you pull up on your ebrake at 80.. tell ya what Illusion can drive and hooligan you can stick your head out the window to watch the tires SPIN until you've slowed to at least 40km/h..

Illusionsir
11-27-2003, 08:44 PM
i dont know about you but when i pull my ebrake from 40 klm, the rear wheels lock up and it skids to a stop.... but your car is probibly different. yours probibly isnt cable driven like every other ebrake in the world.....

we might be miss understanding each other here tho, are you talking about pulling the ebrake up one click? :rofl:

either way, this is a rediculous argument, lets just drop it, im sure the initial point of this thread has been reached. lol

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 09:01 PM
No from 80km/h my tires keep moving, like every car should to help you maintain control (Brake bias is set to the front, bigger brakes rotors etc) under hard decelleration. Its pretty obvious to me, but I guess I could see how some people might think it stops the car on a dime. It is, after all, called an emergency brake... or parking brake...
Yeah I think it is a misunderstanding, if you want to continue the conversation I suggest you pm me about it

5.9 R/T
11-27-2003, 09:16 PM
No from 80km/h my tires keep moving, like every car should to help you maintain control (Brake bias is set to the front, bigger brakes rotors etc) under hard decelleration. Its pretty obvious to me, but I guess I could see how some people might think it stops the car on a dime. It is, after all, called an emergency brake... or parking brake...
Yeah I think it is a misunderstanding, if you want to continue the conversation I suggest you pm me about it

I used to have a RWD car(s). When I pulled the ebrake my tires locked up. When I was young and dumb I used to leave rubber on deer foot from locking up the rear brakes using the e-brake. It was a brand new car. You're an idiot.

Not to mention the fact that for the car to enter a drift you need to lose traction in the rear end, and the only way to do that is to get the back tires skidding/slipping, and with todays FWD understeer wonders one of the only ways to do that is with the e-brake.

Illusionsir
11-27-2003, 09:18 PM

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 09:30 PM
K maybe that pic is you.... Would you press in the clutch when you did this, or stall your car? I wasnt disputing it as a drifting technique so chill the fawk out. Have you done this with a RWD car going 80km/h around a corner like the article was saying? All I was saying in response to what Mr. Alex Pfeiffer said about pressing in the clutch and using the ebrake Quote "you pull the emergency brake. Push in the clutch so you do not... uhhhhhhh kill the car"

IT WONT KILL THE CAR TO STALL
DRIFTING INTO A WALL WILL

Before jumping on the bandwagon to try to burn someone maybe give a guy a chance, and read what he wrote in the first place.
:poosie:

Lo)2enz0
11-27-2003, 09:35 PM
I think I see what he is saying. except if you have 4 disc brakes (like on 240sx's) it wouldn't work. why people only up grade the front disc brakes is to that the fronts are better than the back so that they can lock the front up and have the gas over come the rears than the back swings out into a drift. personally I don't like this way because you destroy your rear brakes fast. thats why i up graded the front and back so that when i just us the gas for drifting and if I scew up I can stop fast so that I can avoid a crash (if possible).

laurier

5.9 R/T
11-27-2003, 09:37 PM
K maybe that pic is you.... Would you press in the clutch when you did this, or stall your car? I wasnt disputing it as a drifting technique so chill the fawk out. Have you done this with a RWD car going 80km/h around a corner like the article was saying? All I was saying in response to what Mr. Alex Pfeiffer said about pressing in the clutch and using the ebrake Quote "you pull the emergency brake. Push in the clutch so you do not... uhhhhhhh kill the car"

Before jumping on the bandwagon to try to burn someone maybe give a guy a chance, and read what he wrote in the first place.
:poosie:

It was an auto. The point is the wheels stop turning. Wheels stop turning = engine stalls out. Don't believe me? Put your car against a brick wall so it can't move and try and let out the clutch without the car stalling. Then come back to this thread and say "Thank you 5.9 R/T, I didn't realize I was being an idiot!"

Illusionsir
11-27-2003, 09:41 PM

Dood you still missing the point, myself and the other couple members are arguing the fact that using the mentioned technique will stall the car with out the clutch being engaged. if you leave it dis-engaged, the drive shaft will stand still. causing the motor to stall.

were not saying stalling it will distroy your motor/car. thats way beyond painfully obvious.........

you have been arguing a totally different point the whole time.....

Primer_Drift
11-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T

It was an auto. The point is the wheels stop turning. Wheels stop turning = engine stalls out. Don't believe me? Put your car against a brick wall so it can't move and try and let out the clutch without the car stalling. Then come back to this thread and say "Thank you 5.9 R/T, I didn't realize I was being an idiot!"

Thank you 5.9R/T, I didnt realize you were such a moron. Automatic. Want an explaination for that bright boy? You press on the break it gears down.. .. sooo where does pulling up on the ebrake and the car stalling come in? where u pressing both the gas and the brake while slowing down? The ebrake won't "kill the car" thats all I was saying.

I know its possible to stall the car with the ebrake, I was not disputing that... READ what I said before responding.. or better yet dont bother at all.

szw
11-27-2003, 09:52 PM

I know its possible to stall the car with the ebrake, I was not disputing that... READ what I said before responding.. or better yet dont bother at all.

if u are going 50mph and have a decent engine and dont drop the clutch.. the car wont stall
:dunno:

hooligan
11-27-2003, 09:58 PM
OMFG

EVERYBODY HERE KNOWS THAT LOCKING UP YOUR WHEELS AND STALLING YOUR MOTOR WILL NOT KILL IT,

the dude on the website means kill it=stall it.....

o yeah and in a automatic car you can stall it by locking up the driving wheels really quick, I've done it in a variety of cars.......

o and plus yeah, I'm 16, been drving since may and I consider myself a pretty good driver for my age.

5.9 R/T
11-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by szw

:dunno:

Thank you.

cujo_cjc
11-27-2003, 10:38 PM
i hope mutsuraboshi is taking notes!

mutsuraboshi
11-27-2003, 11:58 PM
i hope cujo is going to hell!
:burnout:

Primer_Drift
11-28-2003, 12:15 AM
K its not my fault if you dont understand what I am saying.
Its not the engine working against the ebrake, its the speed of the car and engine combined working against the ebrake. That is why I said it would not stall, not enough force to lock the brake... maybe the guy was talking about really having good brakes, and really good ebraking force, who knows.. honestly if it is too difficult to see how it would be hard to lock the back wheels in gear going 80km, then there is no point in trying to defend my viewpoint so :whocares:

mutsuraboshi
11-28-2003, 12:22 AM
dont fight guys:rolleyes:

mutsuraboshi
11-28-2003, 12:29 AM
fuck i lose control soo bad when i yank handbrakes at 50km
maybe cuz its still icy out??? i learned sumthing cool too
when uve pulled the handbrake and in the moment of drifting
if u hit the brakes it makes ur butt spins out, i wonder why that is?
anyways front wheel drive sux dick for drifting:(
wish i had a diff car

4wheeldrift
11-28-2003, 07:41 AM
Wow, there's even more misinformation in this thread than there was in that article :rolleyes:

Illusionsir
11-28-2003, 08:10 AM
ok i think this has gone far enough, despite all the childish remarks from both parties, im going to appologize for being a dick about it.

i believe both view points have been proven.

pinoyhero
11-28-2003, 10:03 AM
That's a sweet vid.

Primer_Drift
11-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir
ok i think this has gone far enough, despite all the childish remarks from both parties, im going to appologize for being a dick about it.

i believe both view points have been proven.

Very noble of you. I was being an idiot for arguing, meant no offense. It was a long 26hour day, and I didn't have the mental capacity to know what either side was saying...
I still think that pfieffer guy sounds like a tard tho

This thread should be :closed:

hooligan
11-28-2003, 07:02 PM
you all suck!, I win!

CalgaryB5
11-29-2003, 01:23 AM
Does anyone know this Vancouver drift club?http://www.vancouverdrifters.org/
http://www.isimpression.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2368