PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new winter beater

Boostzilla
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
So my winter beater is on its last legs and i'm gonna be looking for a new winter car shortly. I was considering getting a skyline. Nothing super nice, just want it for the awd. Does anyone on here winter drive their skyline? if so, how does it fair?

Thanks

maxomilll
01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
get a gc8.

Boostzilla
01-24-2010, 10:34 PM
I was considering one of those, but i wouldnt have any idea how to repair one of those if something breaks.

sr20s14zenki
01-24-2010, 10:37 PM
I hear the celica gt4 is just amazing in the snow.

Boostzilla
01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
ya that was also a consideration, but I called around and I don't know where I could get parts for that. The Toyota dealership told me that they couldn't get parts or service it. :(

misterrick
01-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Boostzilla
ya that was also a consideration, but I called around and I don't know where I could get parts for that. The Toyota dealership told me that they couldn't get parts or service it. :(

call any competent shop. the jdm celica gt4 is pretty damn close to the all-trac or w/e it is here.

also, you should consider a pulsar gti-r :thumbsup:

sr20s14zenki
01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Lol I love how full of shit some shops are. "you'll need a rhd timing belt for that ". Are you serious? Haha. Same as usdm model. There are trim and dash parts that are jdm specific. It's a 3sgte... What's the diff haha. Yes gtir would be so nice.

Boostzilla
01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
so is there anyone who would recommend getting a skyline for the winter or no?

misterrick
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
so is there anyone who would recommend getting a skyline for the winter or no?

i dont have any personal winter experience, when considering a winter vehicle, it might be best to get one that body parts are readily available. no matter how good of a driver you are, theres still half a million bad calgary drivers that could slam into you.....

with that being said, a skyline probably isnt your best bet. an impreza or gt4 celica would be the easier of the bunch to get parts for.

i know that no matter we say, you will probably still buy/want a skyline, and i sympathize. ive wanted a gt-r for about 6 or 7 years now lol so really, if you want one, go for it. i highly doubt that it would be BAD in winter :thumbsup:

Sorath
01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
i winter drove my skyline couple years ago for 2 years and it was a great car as long as you had winter tires.

Boostzilla
01-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
i winter drove my skyline couple years ago for 2 years and it was a great car as long as you had winter tires.

Did your skyline ever have a hard time starting in the cold?

pf0sh0
01-25-2010, 02:31 PM
i know mine never did, wiht exception to the one week where it was -40 and my car was parked outside.. although it did still start.
(I had a gts-4 awd)

Boostzilla
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
ya i would have to park it outside. should be ok though...i hope. Can you install a block heater on a skyline?

misterrick
01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
ya i would have to park it outside. should be ok though...i hope. Can you install a block heater on a skyline?

just buy an oil pan heater. people hate on them, but mine works really well. warm oil=less piston ring wear on startup

Sorath
01-25-2010, 03:51 PM
skyline started fine, this is of course when it had a 900 cold cranking amp battery, now its got a dinky odyssey that dies every week if you dont start it

toastgremlin
01-25-2010, 03:54 PM
ya i would have to park it outside. should be ok though...i hope. Can you install a block heater on a skyline? Other cars with RB-series engines have been sold in North America and have the necessary gubbins to add a block heater, so I don't see why you couldn't.

R154
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Other cars with RB-series engines have been sold in North America and have the necessary gubbins to add a block heater, so I don't see why you couldn't.

Which north american car came stock with rb series motor specifically?

misterrick
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by R154

Which north american car came stock with rb series motor specifically?

i dont personally know of any rb powered cars that came here. however, if im not mistaken, the ca18det is basically an rb20 with two less cylinders

Boostzilla
01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
hmmm good to know thanks guys

toastgremlin
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by R154

Which north american car came stock with rb series motor specifically? I was thinking of the Leopard/Infiniti J30 but it's a VG series, not an RB. A later Leopard did have an RB series but didn't come over here. Mea culpa.

That said, I'd bet they sent something with an RB engine to a country that needs a block heater.

Gibson
01-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Mine's been doing OK, I put an Optima Red Top battery in to make sure it'll never die on me. The battery it came over with was one of those maintenance batteries you had to add water to the cores, and that one didn't do so well. Like somebody said, invest in a good set of winters and you should be ok, but it hasn't been fun on side roads for the last couple weeks.

As for the block heater, I've looked into it and apparently it is possible but I've struggled to find somebody willing to do it. Even Nissan told me to GTFO.

misterrick
01-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Gibson
Mine's been doing OK, I put an Optima Red Top battery in to make sure it'll never die on me. The battery it came over with was one of those maintenance batteries you had to add water to the cores, and that one didn't do so well. Like somebody said, invest in a good set of winters and you should be ok, but it hasn't been fun on side roads for the last couple weeks.

As for the block heater, I've looked into it and apparently it is possible but I've struggled to find somebody willing to do it. Even Nissan told me to GTFO.

just buy an oil pan heater lol its simple enough that anyone can install....

Boostzilla
01-26-2010, 03:33 PM
will you still be able to install the oil pan heater if there is a skid plate on the car? or will clearance be an issue?

misterrick
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM
will you still be able to install the oil pan heater if there is a skid plate on the car? or will clearance be an issue?

the one on my car is about 2mm thick, so i dont see why not.

Graham_A_M
01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
^ 2mm? any pics? frick thats thin :nut: