PDA

View Full Version : Help! I fucked up my car

JMaj7
01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I was driving on Glenmore and for some reason, my engine gave up and I was gliding on D4 when, for some stupid reason I put it in park (instead of N) and I started to hear a grinding noise so I slammed on the breaks and went into the emergency lane. The car started up but now when I put it on N, R or P I hear a noise coming from the axle/wheel area. It does not go in reverse anymore, but all the D gears are fine. What did I fuck up? I feel like such a tool for putting it in park and I know it was stupid of me to do that.

Any replies are appreciated!

euro_racer
01-25-2010, 12:54 AM
seems to me your tranny is toast :thumbsdow

benz_890
01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
^ what he said and those honda trannies are not the best to begin with (if its a late 90s early 2000s TL)

AE92_TreunoSC
01-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by benz_890
^ what he said and those honda trannies are not the best to begin with (if its a late 90s early 2000s TL)

sad but ture, its very likely the transmission is toast, book it in at a transmission shop and get them to estimate repairs.

chkolny541
01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
could be new car time

JMaj7
01-25-2010, 03:20 AM
It makes this weird clicking noise from the axle/wheel area. Did some googling and it seems like a notch came loose? or isn't engaging?

FML

Kardon
01-25-2010, 03:43 AM
Hmm, now is the time to find out why the motor died aswell. Reminder, you probably don't have to push the button in to slide your gear from D to N. Kinda nice incase you have to slam it into N, just don't push teh button.

JMaj7
01-25-2010, 04:00 AM
It's tip tronic and when the engine died, it is kind intuitive to put it in park to try the ignition again. I know the right intuition would've been like "put it in neutral right" right? Not tonight. What makes it so much worse is how much my shit move had to do with it.

Any nice g35s for sale around here?

Jetta-2.0
01-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by JMaj7
It's tip tronic and when the engine died, it is kind intuitive to put it in park to try the ignition again. I know the right intuition would've been like "put it in neutral right" right? Not tonight. What makes it so much worse is how much my shit move had to do with it.

Any nice g35s for sale around here?

i dont know but i have a jetta thats needs a new home wanna buy?

Neil4Speed
01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
What year is your 3.2TL, the 5 Speed Transmissions on the 2nd Generation TL's had noted problems.

bourge73
01-25-2010, 08:55 AM
more info, maybe the timing belt and the tranny are gone yikes......maybe time to start looking around @ other cars mano.

RickDaTuner
01-25-2010, 10:50 AM
It makes this weird clicking noise from the axle/wheel area. Did some googling and it seems like a notch came loose? or isn't engaging?

FML

A broken axle spline needs to be replaced regardless, that is something that does not easily jump a notch.

from your symptoms and actions it sounds like you either grenaded your differential, or broke a cv joint.

when you slam your car into park while moving it tries to jam a pin into the reverse gear ring, this varies from car to car, some have it to the first gear. etc...

doing this most likely sheered the pin and sent it flying through your trans wreaking havoc.
Its fairly certain to say that you will need a trans rebuild at the least.

You may have gotten lucky though and the pin could have caught locking up the trans, resulting in a broken axle.

either way I hope for the best man

Zero102
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

from your symptoms and actions it sounds like you either grenaded your differential, or broke a cv joint.

He said the Drive gears work fine, but in Park, Reverse and Neutral it makes noise and Reverse doesn't work.

Can't be the diff or a CV joint if he can drive forwards.

If he can't drive at all then you are probably right.

Most transmissions have an arm with a tooth on the end that grabs a gear to lock the transmission when you put it in park. They are designed not to catch if the vehicle is moving, hence the buzzing and it not locking up when he was driving. The metal bits that come off as it grinds along will likely have done some damage inside the transmission. It will need to be removed and inspected but the damage may be less severe than expected.

RickDaTuner
01-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

He said the Drive gears work fine, but in Park, Reverse and Neutral it makes noise and Reverse doesn't work.

Can't be the diff or a CV joint if he can drive forwards.

If he can't drive at all then you are probably right.

Most transmissions have an arm with a tooth on the end that grabs a gear to lock the transmission when you put it in park. They are designed not to catch if the vehicle is moving, hence the buzzing and it not locking up when he was driving. The metal bits that come off as it grinds along will likely have done some damage inside the transmission. It will need to be removed and inspected but the damage may be less severe than expected.

thanks for clearing that up, I quicky skimmed through it,

corsvette
01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Back about 10 years ago when i worked for a car rental company one of my co-workers discovered that if you slamed any Chrysler or Gm auto in park (or reverse)while moving nothing happened,the car just went into neutral,years later i mentioned this to a transmission mechanic who told me that electronic transmissions have what was called a "fuzzy logic"control,which will not permit the driver of the car to intentionaly or accidently try to destroy the transmission by switching into park or reverse while moving forward.
I would imagine that a later model Acura would have this technology as well.Maybe when your engine dies it loses power to the module,but even then most modern transmissions have a elctronic servo that switches range postition-no power=no shifting abilities.
Ask a tech about this if you take it in,maybe you have a computer issue between your engine/transmission.

scat19
01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
thats exactly what I thought corsvette - You can't put it in R or P when in motion...

JMaj7
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I think the fact that the engine gave up might have allowed me to put it in park. Also, when you put it in park, reverse and neutral, you hear a clicking/grinding noise by the axle as if its trying to do something. If you go from D4 to N, there's no noise. Its a 1999 3.2tl. At the mechanics now. Let's see what he says.

Cos
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Back about 10 years ago when i worked for a car rental company one of my co-workers discovered that if you slamed any Chrysler or Gm auto in park (or reverse)while moving nothing happened,the car just went into neutral,years later i mentioned this to a transmission mechanic who told me that electronic transmissions have what was called a "fuzzy logic"control,which will not permit the driver of the car to intentionaly or accidently try to destroy the transmission by switching into park or reverse while moving forward.
I would imagine that a later model Acura would have this technology as well.Maybe when your engine dies it loses power to the module,but even then most modern transmissions have a elctronic servo that switches range postition-no power=no shifting abilities.
Ask a tech about this if you take it in,maybe you have a computer issue between your engine/transmission.

Your absolutely right, however I would think the input sensor may have seen the engine off and allowed it to engage. Hopefully it saw the speed sensor was high but if he broke something I dont have high hopes of that.

Good luck man

JMaj7
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Needs a new tranny...$1500+

shiet

RickDaTuner
01-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Needs a new tranny...$1500+

shiet

sorry to hear man.

n1zm0
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
What year is your 3.2TL, the 5 Speed Transmissions on the 2nd Generation TL's had noted problems.

almost ALL the honda stuff mated to a 3.2 v6 had the problem, mdx, odyssey, TL, CL

I remember when i started working for acura back in the day they were just starting the mdx tranny recall, one a week at minimum. TLs and CLs, there was always at least an oil jet kit or tranny recall done once a month at minimum.

OP, i'm guessing your car already went through the tranny recall/oil jet kit installation once in its life?

JMaj7
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
K I gotta put shit up for sale to help pay for this repair. I got my xbox elite ready to go. Thanks for all the replies!

JustinGTP
01-25-2010, 03:08 PM
wow you're lucky! my last car, a pontiac, cost me 3000 to rebuild my tranny!