PDA

View Full Version : When using a junk removal service, what would you look for?

Vince1
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Just looking for feedback from homeowners as to what the deciding factors would be, when choosing from the hundreds of junk removal companies out there. Thanks!

Ven
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Most are a rip off. If all they gotta do is load trash and take it to the dump, then personally I'd just grab a cheap guy off Kijiji. Or some buddies with pickups and buy them a dinner that evening.

2Valve0
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Why would you pay someone to get your junk?
They rip you off...
as said above grab friends/family with pickups or suvs, and load it up, dump it yourself

Sharpie
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Let me load it full of chemicals and over the line.

Vince1
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Most are a rip off. If all they gotta do is load trash and take it to the dump, then personally I'd just grab a cheap guy off Kijiji. Or some buddies with pickups and buy them a dinner that evening.

yes, MOST are more expensive than us, but the cheapest lowballers aren't always your best bet either. There are costs associated with each and every business out there. As an O/O I can tell you, at least 40% of the gross income is expenses. I can appreciate DIY with buddies, for sure. But those kijiji guys, most of 'em are not commercially insured, no wcb, cash only tax dodgers... not cool IMHO.

ExtraSlow
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I used to work for one of those companies, and if you can find or borrow a truck, it's way cheaper to do it yourself.

Things to look for? Not much, they are staffed by 93% lowlifes, so don't let them out of your sight.
On the off chance you do get a nice crew that is clean, efficient and couteous, consider tipping, as that's not the norm in that industry and it's really appreciated. The labourers for those companies get shit pay.
If you want a rock-bottom price, and you can't find your own truck, bring everything out to your curb for easy removal, then haggle the shit out of the guy who does the estimate.

Xtrema
01-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Price.

I don't care what they do and how they do it as long as they get rid of my junk with no property damage while doing it.

Although, I only call junk guys once in the last 20 years. Everything else we just take to dump ourselves.

Vince1
01-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I used to work for one of those companies, and if you can find or borrow a truck, it's way cheaper to do it yourself.

Things to look for? Not much, they are staffed by 93% lowlifes, so don't let them out of your sight.

Wow... Nice to have some validity to my paranoia, I knew it! I'm glad me and my guys are in the other 7% lol...

Chris88CL
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
I always thought about offering my services to people other than friends for a very small fee. Realistically if I made $30-40 over my costs (dump fee's and gas) I'd be all over it.

Any takers? Got an 8'x5' trailer sitting here unused. :poosie:

G
01-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Depending on how much you have it may be cheaper to rent a bin

Vince1
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by G
Depending on how much you have it may be cheaper to rent a bin

If you don't want to load it yourself there are still dozens, if not hundreds, of companies to choose from.

spikerS
01-26-2010, 03:43 PM
this is a pretty clever way of advertising your company Vince1.

Did you know that Beyond has sponsorship opportunities?

http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=2

Become a paid advertiser and get more business than trying to be sneaky. are you sure you are in that 7% now?

Vince1
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by spikers
this is a pretty clever way of advertising your company Vince1.

Did you know that Beyond has sponsorship opportunities?

http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=2

Become a paid advertiser and get more business than trying to be sneaky. are you sure you are in that 7% now?

Yes indeed, thx I will check it out. I honestly do want feedback only from this thread, I felt compelled to post a link after seeing one of my competitor's links come up... But I will make it go away. I know exactly what you are saying, and it's stuff like that that gives my industry a bad name. Link is gone.

AndyL
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd be starting with a truck showing up that doesn't spew black smoke and wake the neighbours

:facepalm:

Vince1
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
I'd be starting with a truck showing up that doesn't spew black smoke and wake the neighbours

:facepalm:

Got that well under control, I got a Chevy 1 ton dually dump truck with a 454 and a 15 cubic yard box, she ain't pretty but it's safetied and quiet as a mouse. Plus my Dodge won't be rolling coal for quite some time, engine has less than 2000kms on it.

idriveabox
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Vince1

Got that well under control, I got a Chevy 1 ton dually dump truck with a 454 and a 15 cubic yard box, she ain't pretty but it's safetied and quiet as a mouse. Plus my Dodge won't be rolling coal for quite some time, engine has less than 2000kms on it.

best of luck man, I worked with got-junk from the ground up...it can be tough.

topmade
01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
Price and convenience PERIOD. I used a junk removal service before and from calling around I got a bit annoyed as some companies were being a bit picky for what I wanted dumped and was going to charge extra for some items and they wanted to come for a estimate first. I've dumped plenty of stuff before and all of it was normal stuff that goes to the main dump and not applicances or tires or bio-hazard chemicals.

The company I ended up going with said they would pick up everything from taking my word that it all goes to the main dump. I piled it nicely in the garage with instructions because we weren't able to meet them and hid the money for them. When we visted the next day, all trash was taken, nothing stolen from the garage that still had some items and the money was taken and there was a thank you note left from them. Awesome service, too bad I don't remember what they were called.

Vince1
01-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Awesome to hear you were happy with a smaller company! We have done hundreds of jobs fitting this description and circumstances.

CUG
01-27-2010, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Vince1

I can appreciate DIY with buddies, for sure. But those kijiji guys, most of 'em are not commercially insured, no wcb, cash only tax dodgers... not cool IMHO. Get a better excuse than that for a minimum $240 load charge. Sorry pal. I know a guy who made a good living pumping his truck out. He charged $60 a load anywhere in town and did 5-10 a day. What's not cool about that? If I had a truck, no job and nothing to do, I would do the same and be the better alternative.

Costs: $5-15 for the dump, $5-10 in gas. Profit, $45-55 per load. In relation to a phenomenally high minimum charge, I'm not seeing the justification for that.

Vince1
01-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Get a better excuse than that for a minimum $240 load charge. Sorry pal. I know a guy who made a good living pumping his truck out. He charged $60 a load anywhere in town and did 5-10 a day. What's not cool about that? If I had a truck, no job and nothing to do, I would do the same and be the better alternative.

Costs: $5-15 for the dump, $5-10 in gas. Profit, $45-55 per load. In relation to a phenomenally high minimum charge, I'm not seeing the justification for that.

Minimum 240$ is RIDICULOUS. Guys like that last about 6 months. So do guys who undercharge.

theken
01-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Depends on the size of the truck. If it is a big box they charge a flat rate at the dump whic can be as high as like five hundred I think