PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Engineering?

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of taking the Electronics Engineering Degree course at Devry. Any thoughts? Any jobs out there? What's the starting salary?

spike98
01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Devry = waste of time

Go to a real institution. I know HR reps that toss anything with Devry on it.

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm getting a lot of mixed messages. Some say screw devry, so say it does the job.

I didn't finish high school, the only reason why I'm considering Devry is because I don't have to upgrade.

spike98
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
My point exactly. I dont know you nor do i know the reasons why you didnt complete highschool but consider this...

If you were a HR rep, would you take someone from the U of C that has upgraded and taken a full program or someone that was lazy and took a round about way.

You will be a better employee if you work hard and take the proper way. IMO devry is like putting roofies in a girls drink. Sure, gets the job done, but definatly not the best way to go about it!

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
ic

HiTempguy1
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by spike98
My point exactly. I dont know you nor do i know the reasons why you didnt complete highschool but consider this...

If you were a HR rep, would you take someone from the U of C that has upgraded and taken a full program or someone that was lazy and took a round about way.

You will be a better employee if you work hard and take the proper way.IMO devry is like putting roofies in a girls drink. Sure, gets the job done, but definatly not the best way to go about it!

Sig worthy for the last bit :thumbsup:

Cos
01-25-2010, 06:07 PM
lets put it this way, saits eletrical engineering which is two year and devry's electronic (or electrical I cant remember) are rated the exact same. Devry's is 4 years.

Now this is one of two reasons, either you dont learn anything more then you do in sait (meaning they teach you twice as slow) or you do learn more and the organization and companys think whatever you learn is useless.

If your going to spend 4 years might as well go to the UofC, or get two years work experience out of SAIT.

Just my $0.02

punky
01-25-2010, 06:38 PM
high school upgrade + sait is probably better.

heck high school upgrade + UC would even be better. Harder though.

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys, Devry is out for me.

Just wondering if anyone has taken the Electronics Engineering course at SAIT? Any jobs out there? Starting salary?

Cos
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by buddha3569
Thanks guys, Devry is out for me.

Just wondering if anyone has taken the Electronics Engineering course at SAIT? Any jobs out there? Starting salary?

Electronics is a tougher field here, especially now that nortel has shit the bed. As well as the 'competing' program of Automated systems engineering (formerly mechatronics).

I took electrical engg, I loved it. Dont go into a job for the money. We all just razzed a guy in his UofC vs SAIT thread because all he cared about was coin

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Electronics is a tougher field here, especially now that nortel has shit the bed. As well as the 'competing' program of Automated systems engineering (formerly mechatronics).

I took electrical engg, I loved it. Dont go into a job for the money. We all just razzed a guy in his UofC vs SAIT thread because all he cared about was coin

Thanks for the advice.

I'm more concern about jobs, I want to make sure that when I finish school there will be jobs out there.

My dad completed his Electric Engineering Degree from U of C in 1988. He didn't find a job for like 7 years in his field. He then got into Nortel and was there till the day they closed.

I just don't want to be in that situation.

I'm still unsure of what I want to take in school. I was only considering Electronics Engineering because my dad suggested it and the course description sounded interesting. I am considering engineering because I know a few people that are currently engineering and they are enjoying their jobs... and making good income.

Any suggestions out there?

Cos
01-25-2010, 07:41 PM
^^ if it is something your interested in, do it. Just dont do it for cash (which it doesnt sound like your doing).

Things will work out if you love it and you work hard at it.

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ if it is something your interested in, do it. Just dont do it for cash (which it doesnt sound like your doing).

Things will work out if you love it and you work hard at it.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Super_Geo
01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Devry is a huge fucking joke and everyone knows it. Don't see the fact that you don't have to finish high school to go into it as something positive-- employers know this as well!

If I were to take a look at an applicant and saw that he/she went to Devry the first question I would ask is why they weren't capable of going to a college/university.

And LOL @ "electronics engineering"... what the fuck is that? 4 years of learning how to put computers together so you can work at Memory Express as a computer assembler afterward?

I had a summer job at Guest-Tek when I just got out of high school... it was a call center job, answering phone calls from people in hotels who are having trouble connecting to the net.

It was a pretty kickass job for a kid, I'd get baked as shit and talk to people who couldn't figure out how to turn on the wireless on their laptop. But there was one guy who was in his 40s who was a real miserable cunt. I finally asked him what his deal was... he said he paid a shitload of money to go through DeVry and this was the only job he could get... the same job an 18 year old kid could get with a high school diploma. I felt really bad for him, it was a pretty pathetic situation to be in.

FiveFreshFish
01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
http://www.apegga.org/Members/Publications/salarysurvey.html

Look for "A" level engineer.

Grogador
01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Four year degree at Devry? What a joke, how much do they want to milk you in those four years?

The 2yr Electronics Engineering Technology diploma from SAIT was a great (~$10k) investment for me. I'm getting to do a lot of stuff that I enjoy at fun companies.

Don't bother taking ENT for the money; all those 'students' disappeared somewhere in semester 1 or 2. Also remember you won't be an Engineer, you'll be an engineer's bitch, and that's after you've done your time in the trenches as some kind of technician slave.

Devry claims the average salary for grads is 48k which is probably pretty accurate. Some fellow grads started closer to 40k; mostly with no experience and little actual skill. Not sure what it's like starting out nowadays, but probably not good without previous experience. Obviously once you fill in your resume, get some accomplishments and have solid connections/references, you'll be in higher demand. Looking at cool, challenging job postings, I find myself occasionally wishing that I'd attempted an Engineering degree. However I'm more hands-on than theoretical and not sure I could hack the math anyway. Upgrading from the SAIT diploma to a degree is always an option, through Camosun/UVIC or UofC I think.

Do you qualify for "mature student" status? That might drop/lower some highschool requirements.

Grogador
01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
http://www.apegga.org/Members/Publications/salarysurvey.html

Look for "A" level engineer.

Not an Engineer. For Technologists, you want to ask ASET (http://www.aset.ab.ca).

Edit: http://www.aset.ab.ca/pages/News/SalarySurvey.aspx

buddha3569
01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
Four year degree at Devry? What a joke, how much do they want to milk you in those four years?

The 2yr Electronics Engineering Technology diploma from SAIT was a great (~$10k) investment for me. I'm getting to do a lot of stuff that I enjoy at fun companies.

Don't bother taking ENT for the money; all those 'students' disappeared somewhere in semester 1 or 2. Also remember you won't be an Engineer, you'll be an engineer's bitch, and that's after you've done your time in the trenches as some kind of technician slave.

Devry claims the average salary for grads is 48k which is probably pretty accurate. Some fellow grads started closer to 40k; mostly with no experience and little actual skill. Not sure what it's like starting out nowadays, but probably not good without previous experience. Obviously once you fill in your resume, get some accomplishments and have solid connections/references, you'll be in higher demand. Looking at cool, challenging job postings, I find myself occasionally wishing that I'd attempted an Engineering degree. However I'm more hands-on than theoretical and not sure I could hack the math anyway. Upgrading from the SAIT diploma to a degree is always an option, through Camosun/UVIC or UofC I think.

Do you qualify for "mature student" status? That might drop/lower some highschool requirements.

Wow, thanks for your imput. I don't know if I qualify as a mature student. I'm 30 years old and have been out of school for about 14 years.

So, you are a Electronics Engineering Tech? How do you like it? What kind of jobs are you involved in?

v2kai
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
I've attended both SAIT and Devry and that electronics course in particular. Speaking from personal experience, I can say there is both pros and cons depending on your situation and at the end of the day you're worth what you can do and your experience; not just because you have a piece of paper. It helps, and the right one can definitely make it easier to get your foot in the door to earn that experience but at the end of the day if you got skills and you know how to use em, you got skills.

PM if you'd like more info.

V6-BoI
03-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't think there's much of an "electronics engineering" market in Calgary, so you might have a tough time looking for a job when you graduate. Unless you decide to relocate to the states.

HiTempguy1
03-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
I don't think there's much of an "electronics engineering" market in Calgary, so you might have a tough time looking for a job when you graduate.

Same shit, different pile. I am just finishing up my Instrumentation Engineering technologist diploma at NAIT. I can do the same things (for the most part) a computer programmer does, an Electrical Eng tech does, etc. Hell, I can do a lot of stuff chem techs and mech techs can too.

As most proffs/instructors will point out, you never know where you'll go with the education you have.

Having said that, I agree that out of all of the ones you could take, "electronics" may not be the best way to go. Electrical on the other hand :thumbsup:

aram1000
04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm an Electronic Systems Engineering grad. Its an actual engineering degree. I attended the University of Regina. Pretty much, Electronics Engineering is very similar to computer science, as we compete for many of the same jobs. The main difference i've seen is Comp Sci guys are better with programming in VB, .Net, Java etc, whereas Electronics engineers are better at lower level programming, C, assembler, etc. In Electronics, you work more with mircroprocessers and logic controllers, also from the Engieering side,you work more with control systems, etc. In electronics engineering, you obviously learn more traditional engineering things, such as circuit theory, etc. Again, from my experience, the Engineering approach you learn more about how computer systems work as a whole. As for work, you can work in the semiconductor industy, telecomunications or internet providers, utilities, software shops,etc. Each program is different though, I'm not familiar with what SAIT or U of C has to offer, but as for me, i've always had work. Many ESE grads from U of R would go to nortel after durring the tech boom, when i had just started in Uni is when that died, but since graduation, i've not had a problem finding work. The technologist route is shorter and gets you out of school faster, but in the long run you may become limited in the jobs you want, with a BaSC, you have more versitility and long term upward potential. Plus a few guys i went to school with were SIAST (Sask equivalent of SAIT) grads, only to come back to university to get and actual engineering degree, as they felt there is more value in that graduating from a university engineering program allows you to pursue a P.Eng designation. Either option is work, so you gotta see whats right for you. Good luck with your decision.

Cos
04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Same shit, different pile. I am just finishing up my Instrumentation Engineering technologist diploma at NAIT. I can do the same things (for the most part) a computer programmer does, an Electrical Eng tech does, etc. Hell, I can do a lot of stuff chem techs and mech techs can too.

As most proffs/instructors will point out, you never know where you'll go with the education you have.

Having said that, I agree that out of all of the ones you could take, "electronics" may not be the best way to go. Electrical on the other hand :thumbsup:

You would never be hired to do what an electrical engg tech does unless you possess a really good background or a company that will allow you to cross train. In my industry an instrument tech will do a cross between a computer tech and an electrical tech, however you wouldn’t become either of those.

Instrumentation has quite a specific field in utilities. Mainly protection and control.

When I do hiring all I hire is ex-lineman, people who have worked at Calgary Power in a technical roll, or Electrical Engg/Electrical Engg Techs. Even then the regulations are pushing us to only having Lineman (need your PSE ticket to do testing) or Techs/Engg's because of the sign of liability. Unless your going to be support staff obviously (Drafter, assistants, etc.)

HiTempguy1
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Cos

You would never be hired to do what an electrical engg tech does unless you possess a really good background or a company that will allow you to cross train.

Agreed (as well as with the rest of what you stated). I just wanted the dude to understand that getting a diploma in XYZ does not necessarily limit you to a very specific path, thats all, just like getting an engineering degree in XYZ does not necessarily limit you to that ONE specific field!

Cos
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Agreed (as well as with the rest of what you stated). I just wanted the dude to understand that getting a diploma in XYZ does not necessarily limit you to a very specific path, thats all, just like getting an engineering degree in XYZ does not necessarily limit you to that ONE specific field!

Ah gotcha, then your absolutely right. No matter what diploma you get there is always overlap and if your talented or liked then your overlap becomes larger. That doesnt include vertical moves either.