PDA

View Full Version : What kind of suspension??

nolandowell
01-25-2010, 11:15 PM
I have a 1991 toyota 4runner im looking to put new suspension in and i am wondering what make and model would be best and, if with out a complete 4 linkage upgrade. Can put in a 0-2inch higher lift in the suspension and get the full 2 inches??

FraserB
01-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Old Man Emu is probably the best bet, heavy duty springs and gas shocks give you the lift you want as well as fighting sag from bumpers and cargo. All the OME stuff rides excellent. Check out North Shore Offroad, 90% of the time they will beat National, Modern and Northridge.

aristocrat
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
yeah OME has a 2 inch lift out there, but its not cheap.

if your broke you can do 2" a body lift for about 100 or less

ex1z7
01-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Why are you lifting? For bigger tires? You should be able to fit 33's with no lift on a 91.. If you don't have lots of backspacing anyways.. Any bigger and you're testing the ifs quite a bit (35's etc.)

But yeah if you just want new shocks cus yours are toast, get bilsteins..

nolandowell
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
well im looking to get around 6inchs higher just for clearance.
This is what i plan to do

1. putting in a 2 inch leveling kit to get rid of the rear end sag
2. new shocks because all of my stock ones leak and would like to get an inch to 2 inchs of lift out of the new ones agian if possible
3. then a 2 inch body lift to allow lots of clearance for bigger wheels

i am trying to avoid having to replace all the rear 4links cause i know thats an expensive upgrade. and i now out of the stock 4links you can get atleast an inch longer shock.

Thanks guys, helping me out a ton

CelicaST-162
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Check out ToytecLifts.com. As well, check out T4R.org, you'll find lots of information for lifting your 2nd gen. And last but not least, yotatech.com

ex1z7
01-26-2010, 07:43 PM
pirate4x4.com for lift info as well..

Honestly, a 6" lift isn't necessary at all - once you start getting into things like ball joint spacers, body lifts, you start running into the complications that arise when lifting.. If you do a suspension lift you'll end up putting more stress on your front end steering components as everything gets out of whack.. with drop brackets you gain 0 clearance anyways - so whats the point..

If you want to do anything bigger than a 33x12.5" tire, I'd highly recommend looking into a solid axle swap - it'll be far cheaper than a long travel kit, and you'll get as much lift as you could possibly want with ease..

aristocrat
01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Im putting a 4 inch susp lift on my surf and stuffing 35's. already have a 2 inch body lift.

FraserB
01-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Just a word of caution to the OP, if you do go on Pirate, DO NOT POST! Just read the threads and use the search to find stuff, you will get ripped to shreds for asking about basic suspension mods. They are straight up nuts on there:nut:

RedApe
02-03-2010, 01:53 AM
http://forum.ct4wd.com/showthread.php?t=109

OME 2" is not that rich...and I'll highly recommend.