PDA

View Full Version : calgaryfinder.com question about carfax

2BLUE
01-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Calgaryfinder.com has a free carfax but half the time it doesn't work. Does anyone know where or who hosts that feature???

I was told yellowpages is the one but I can't find anything on it..What do you guys think???

LINK (http://www.calgaryfinder.com/dpage.php?docID=12)

Wrinkly
01-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Carfax is far better for american vehicles than it is canadian - that's why they offer it!

CarProof is what you want to run before you buy a car in the Canadian market. Much more information available.

Sentry
01-26-2010, 02:37 AM
That's a VIN decoder, not a history report.

2BLUE
01-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Sentry
That's a VIN decoder, not a history report.

I have used this alot in the past. Right now it looks like a decoder but when it works it shows all the history of the car. Its very comparable to ICBC history check.

Right now its not working its just showing the basic info not the history.

Im calling it a carfax but really its a better one then carfax...thats why I was asking if anyone knows a way to check where the actual info is coming from..

Wrinkly
01-26-2010, 02:50 AM
What is? Both carfax and carproof are HISTORY reports. I've used 'em enough to know :thumbsup:

Just that Carfax is more US based, Carproof is more Canadian based (although it's told me more about some US cars than carfax has, too). I wouldn't use anything else. It tells me when the vehicle was first registered, and where. If there are any insurance/damage claims reported - and sometimes how much that cost. Number/location of owners etc, As well as police records for reports of theft.

I looked at a car once that was at a local dealer in Calgary - and it had been imported from the US. They offered a (basic) carproof and said the car was one owner. When I ordered the $60 top of the line version of Carproof, I found it had FIVE owners in less than three years and had been back and forth between BC and Alberta three times after being imported from the US.

Needless to say, I walked from that one.

2BLUE
01-26-2010, 02:57 AM
I guess Im not asking my question correctly...

Calgaryfinder.com is not a DMV/Registry its just a website.

My question is

Where does Calgaryfinder.com get its vehicle history reports from???

Once you press search it doesn't look like its sending info to another website or anything.

Sentry
01-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
What is?blablabla
The site he posted.

Wrinkly
01-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Ohhhh - lol. I see what you mean now.

I don't know where it gets the info, but seemed to offer very similar to carfax, so.....

I have used it in the past and it worked fine, then last time I tried (some time ago) it didn't. So I don't know what's up with it, sorry.

:dunno:

2BLUE
01-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Ohhhh - lol. I see what you mean now.

I don't know where it gets the info, but seemed to offer very similar to carfax, so.....

I have used it in the past and it worked fine, then last time I tried (some time ago) it didn't. So I don't know what's up with it, sorry.

:dunno:

On a recent car I got a ICBC report and then did the calgaryfinder one and they were the same which really impressed me.

I just wondered where they would get that info from.

2BLUE
01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Just read someone said if it isn't working try using proxyboxonline Im not sure what this is but im thinking maybe you can only do so many searches per ip address or something

2BLUE
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Anyone know what proxyboxonline means or even if it works on calgaryfinder.com???

Buci
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).