PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution WRC04

Mikko
11-27-2003, 06:36 PM
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/motorsports/e/04wrc/index.html

Mitsubishi Motors motor sports subsidiary, MMSP, unveils the car that will spearhead its 2004 FIA World Rally Championship campaign, the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC04. A completely fresh design, the new car forms an integral part of a meticulously conceived long-term plan to build on MMSP’s distinguished record in the World Rally Championship. It will compete on all 16 rounds of the series.

The Lancer WRC04’s appearance reflects the increasing importance of aerodynamics in World Championship rallying. MMSP spent almost three weeks testing in the Lola racing team’s wind tunnel, re-designing the bonnet, along with the front and rear wings, as well as the rear aerofoil. The first priority was to gain more down force, but close attention was also paid to airflow through the engine bay to maximize cooling. It is a perfect illustration of the strenuous yet conflicting demands that the World Rally Championship imposes. Down force is a vital element of a competitive car on high-speed rallies, but good cooling is a key requirement on a turbocharged rally car, as the ambient temperature on rallies can exceed 30 degrees Celsius and it is often highest on the rallies held at the lowest average speeds. Airflow beneath the car was also considered.

The transmission also reflects MMSP’s new strategy and has nothing in common with the four-wheel-drive systems used on previous Lancers. The 2004 car will use a transversely mounted five-speed gearbox supplied by Ricardo. The gear change will be manual and all three differentials will be passive, an epicyclical center differential splitting torque front to rear. The front and rear differentials will also operate on mechanical principles.

"With the current regulations in the World Rally Championship, because the engines have quite small restrictors, the power curve and the torque are so good that it makes it possible to use a five-speed gearbox. Why have six gears when you can have five? We will analyze different possibilities as we develop the car and will introduce new features as necessary", Fornaris explained.

The decision to use passive differentials is unusual, but reflects MMSP’s determination to ensure that the chassis is fundamentally sound and effective before introducing refinements. A semi-automatic gear change is likely to be developed during 2004, once MMSP is satisfied that the Lancer WRC04 is living up to its potential, in terms of both performance and durability. Active differentials are also under consideration, but are not an immediate priority.

Brembo will supply brakes and once again, MMSP is placing the accent on simplicity. The braking system will not incorporate water cooling initially.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/motorsports/e/04wrc/img/001.jpg

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/motorsports/e/04wrc/img/002.jpg

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/motorsports/e/04wrc/img/003.jpg

hjr
11-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Holy 56k Warning!!!! Giant pics...

They have signed Panizzi for 3 years, which is good. it will be nice to see some talent on the team again.

but man, why couldnt they put the double wing at the end of the deck.... i think its horribly ugly where it is!!!

That.Guy.S30
11-27-2003, 06:48 PM
haha no doubt.. ppl complain about the sti wing? haha this one beats it hands down..

Mikko
11-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Actually, I think it is the most exciting and cool looking WRC car to date.

One thing I love about (some) motorsports and life in general, is progress. Everyone is always "eww" to new things if it does not look up to expectation. Then in five years maybe all sedan spoilers will be mounted like that one, because they know it's the quickest, most effective way. And everyone will then think "eww" at the 'normal' type spoilers now :)

4wheeldrift
11-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Hope it proves to be more competitive than the previous evolution. Man, was the '02 ever a dog. Really surprised to see they don't have the multiple plates in the wing like every other team.

That.Guy.S30
11-27-2003, 07:34 PM
the dirver for the lancer said that the mitsu is fast.. and from his past experience i beleive that it will be better and faster than the previous lancer.. my vote still goes for the STI, Go Petter Go

Toms-Celica
11-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Now maybe they wont suck as much :thumbsdow

rc2002
11-27-2003, 07:40 PM
That car looks cool except for how the fenders drop off. Looks kind of cheap, but I guess it's for function...

They've come a long way from the white car to this new one.

JAYMEZ
11-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Go Subaru =)

Mikko
11-27-2003, 09:32 PM
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/evorally2-big.JPG

prosh
11-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Thats umm, an interesting lookin spoiler, awesome pics thou!

That.Guy.S30
11-27-2003, 10:12 PM
according to the guys on Nasioc this isnt even the Evo shell.. it is just a lancer shell

4wheeldrift
11-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
according to the guys on Nasioc this isnt even the Evo shell.. it is just a lancer shell And it has pretty much nothing left of the original lancer. By the time the cage is welded in and the car fully seam welded, its already an order of magnitude stiffer than a "normal" evo. Then they competely re-do the suspension, add all the equipment for the all wheel drive system and uprate the brakes. By the time they are done, the car bears a superficial resemblence at best to any road going lancer, even the Evo.

I wonder if that spoiler will work any better than one placed in a more conventional location.

CelicaST-162
11-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Can't wait to see it in action...thing thats aching me that roof scoop is just damn hideous!

gwkwan
11-28-2003, 12:50 AM
damn... its the ugliest WRC i ever seen :thumbsdow

3g4me
11-28-2003, 01:38 AM
I dont mind it i like the back :burnout:

3g4me
11-28-2003, 01:38 AM
Oh shit minus that fugly spoiler .lol