PDA

View Full Version : Stress leave?

drew_goring
01-26-2010, 04:14 PM
A friend of mine works in an office. This is a small office, only 2 girls working in the front, an office administrator and the owner with 2 maintenance workers. This is a property management company.

She and the other girl working in the front are yelled at and belittled for things that may have not gone according to plan, but are often nobody's fault, or even the administrator or the owner's fault. When they provide email proof that it wasn't their fault they get a quick sorry at best...never anything sincere.

It is so bad at times that they come home in tears at least once or twice a week. Is there any recourse? Going to management isn't an option because the owner is apparently the worst. Is stress leave an option? They are currently looking for other employment but that kind of thing doesn't happen overnight. Does anybody have any ideas? They have tried talking to them about it but things get better for maybe a day or two at most.

ExtraSlow
01-26-2010, 04:28 PM
ak-47?

vengie
01-26-2010, 04:33 PM
In my opinion, this is one of those moments they need to grow a backbone and stand up to the abuse given to them from their boss.
Sure they may be fired, but in the end their personal well being is better than taking the abuse and lining their douche bag boss' pockets. Let him/her struggle to fill the spot they left open.

HondaKid
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Whomever is doing this yelling and treating others in an improper manner needs to be shown the door. If that cannot be done, the two girls need to leave as this is no place to spend 40 hours a week

They would be better off getting out of there, while they still have any form of self interest. Leave the company with very little in the way of notice, do nothing to further their BS. Best case is both girls find other employment at the same time, they both give notice and call in sick the rest of the days until leaving. Screw the company as much as possible.

Verbal abuse is just that, abuse. If it was physical would we be having this posting? Both are not acceptable in the workplace, nor adult like in character.

Sad thing is someone else replaces them and the cycle continues for the new employees until someone grows a pair and takes out the trash.

bubbley
01-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Dont no about recourse? But in these situations you can usually comfort them which may lead to intercourse...

Tik-Tok
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Tell them to start looking for another job :dunno:

If they are that unhappy there, it's time to leave, unless they are getting paid absurd amounts of money to do it, it's not worth it.

Lots of jobs out there.

Xtrema
01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Start looking for new jobs and leave. Unless she's fugly, frontdesk jobs are a dime a dozen.

No point pulling a stress leave for a small company like that unless she really want to collect EI.

FraserB
01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
If they are serious about taking stress leave there is a certain way it has to be done. They will need to see a doctor, who will give them a certificate that documents they are under stress and need to take the time off. That is then shown to your employer at the time you inform them that you are taking stress leave.

For as long as the doctors certificate is in effect and you wish to remain on stress leave, the employer CANNOT terminate you. Some insurance companies will let you claim in order to recoup some income while on leave, you will have to check with your company and doctor about this.

drew_goring
01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Good advice. They are looking for other employment and hopefully won't have to put up with it much longer.

Problem with taking above the head of the abuser is that the abusers are the owner and the administrator. They stand up for themselves and it seems to make it better for a short period but eventually goes back to the same old.

Van Persie
01-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Have some balls and quit, no notice. What's the big deal? I work in construction and some guys have ten or more employers per year.

sputnik
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Why did this question require Beyond to provide the answer?

If you don't like your job.

Get a new one.

I though this stuff was common sense.

Next up. What to do with all of the garbage that no longer fits in full the garbage can.

JAYMEZ
01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Need a backbone..

Report it to the proper people , do a Alberta Labor thing.. Hell I dunno lol.. Or maybe they can join a Union and screw the boss over haha.

syeve
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I had a pretty shitty boss when I first graduated, basically an asshole that failed in life and was pissed about it. I took it for a few months, I was under the impression this was good for me, tuffen me up etc. But overall I wasn't happy.

One of the top 5 days of my life was going into his office, interupting him from yelling at me about something, telling him that this would be my last day and to try to refrain from talking to me for the rest of the day as I felt a constructive dismissal suit could be in order. A week later I was hired by his competitor. Now 7 years later I buy and sell douche bags like him.

Abuse is abuse, at home, work where ever.

ExtraSlow
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
I eat pieces of shit like him for breakfast!

FraserB
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Next up. What to do with all of the garbage that no longer fits in full the garbage can.

Easy, pile it high until it falls.

He who tops it off, drops it off.