PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Laptop Hard drive that is 7200rpm

Pacman
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for a laptop drive that is 7200rpm

I dont need anything too big...an 80gig would be fine, but I'm open to what you have.

Must be working fine with no major errors.

Let me know if you have anything

Thanks
James

Thaco
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
7200 isn't very common in laptop drives because it's loud and power hungry, so you may have a tough time finding one

also you may want to specify sata or ide.

Pacman
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
7200 isn't very common in laptop drives because it's loud and power hungry, so you may have a tough time finding one

Thanks, I didn't realize they are uncommon.

I would be open to a 5400rpm drive. Don't need anything with huge storage.

I'm switching over to Ubuntu on my Thinkpad and simply want to remove the existing drive that's in there as it has the hidden Windows partition on it and don't want to screw it up with the Linux install.

kakala
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
try this one, pretty good deal

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136373

desi112
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
You can get them pretty easily in 7200 RPM.

just go to Memory express in calgary

Here is a 320 gig Seagate 7200 laptop hdd SATA for only $79.99

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX24885(ME).aspx

Bizzareo
01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
or you could low level format the drive...

Intent_Fire
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Dont waste your money pacman. Just format the drive when you install Ubuntu, it has the ability to clear the partitions wether you think they are hidden or not.

Or you can run both ubuntu and Windows if you want. Ubuntu has a Grub loader that will allow you to choose which OS to boot into on startup. Its super simple and will do all the work for you. You just select windows or ubuntu when you turn on your laptop.

RMS
01-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

Hmm maybe you haven't tried 7200rpm drives?? I get the same battery life as my 5400rpm and it's actually quieter :D.

Anyways to the OP, PM'D if you're still looking for 1. I have 5400 and 7200rpm drives

Pacman
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Intent_Fire
Dont waste your money pacman. Just format the drive when you install Ubuntu, it has the ability to clear the partitions wether you think they are hidden or not.

Or you can run both ubuntu and Windows if you want. Ubuntu has a Grub loader that will allow you to choose which OS to boot into on startup. Its super simple and will do all the work for you. You just select windows or ubuntu when you turn on your laptop.

I tried formatting and installing Ubuntu in the past. Then, when I went to re-install Windows, I was missing HD space and couldn't recover it. Even when I used a program like "disk kill", it couldn't recover the space.

I would prefer to do it on a separate drive this time.

Intent_Fire
01-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Hmm, weird, not sure why thats happening. Try using Darks Boot & Nuke.

http://www.dban.org/

How much missing HD space are you missing? Have you ran Disk management in windows to see if the unallocated space is visable?

Or try running a chkdsk.exe in the command prompt, perhaps your drive has some faulty sectors.

Im curious now, but if you really want to just forget about it and buy a new drive its up to you.