PDA

View Full Version : getting deposit money back from dealership

ray8181
01-26-2010, 05:13 PM
just helping a friend out cause he's going through a rough time. if a person backs out of purchasing a car is the dealership able to keep a persons deposit?

dj_rice
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I dunno about used cars, but if its on a brand new car and say it has to come out of the factory, then yes they can keep it.

ray8181
01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
it is a new car but they already had the car to begin with

Zhariak
01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
When I was buying my Caddy, I actually didn't even need a deposit the first time... Thank god because the first dealership screwed me over (and my credit)...

Second dealership that tried screwing me over, I had to put the dough down before even putting an offer in... Fucker tried selling me an older model for the MSRP of a new model.... Had to fight to get that deposit back, eventually I was asked to leave the dealership... lol

Those are my only experiences, third dealership needed the deposit to place an offer, but I ended up buying from them so the third doesn't count...

I believe that if your custom order and if it has to be manufactured, then they will keep the deposit...

If your placing an offer on a car at the lot, most dealerships should/will return the deposit....

UNLESS of course you purchase, sign the purchase papers and back out before taking possession....

dj_rice
01-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ray8181
it is a new car but they already had the car to begin with

What I was talking about is new car as in, they have to build your specific one straight from the factory.

But what your talking about, read the agreement you signed when you made deposit, if its in the fine print then your SOL

Xtrema
01-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Unless whatever he sign say it's refundable, it's really up to the dealer to decide.

Super_Geo
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
How people give a deposit to anyone without knowing the terms of them getting that money back should they want to back out is beyond me...

When my parents bought from the dealership they had to put down a deposit and all that was asked was "What are the restrictions on getting the deposit back?"

The salesman said that they could get it back whenever they wanted, my dad asked for it in writing before he gave him the money, and as it happened he ended up finding a better deal elsewhere and just dropped by and collected the deposit. I think the whole process took 5-10 minutes.

SUMMARY:
GET IT IN WRITING. GET IT SIGNED. DON'T FUCK AROUND!