PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy packaged onigiri?

Cooked Rice
01-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Not sure if T&T has these, but i'm looking for some onigiri that comes packaged. like below...

http://neatstufffromjapan.com/image_bank/home/images/hom_onigiri_home_and_hand_made.jpg

xxxazntigerxx
01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
whats inside that lol

Cooked Rice
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
It's rice wrapped in seaweed. And there's a filling in the rice, usually some sort of pickled fruit/vegetable. Some have salmon etc...

Vagabond142
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
It's rice wrapped in seaweed. And there's a filling in the rice, usually some sort of pickled fruit/vegetable. Some have salmon etc...

And it is usually very delicious :clap: I too am interested in finding premade Onigiri.

My guesses would be either somewhere in Chinatown (maybe one of the small shops in Dragon City?) or TnT

cdnsir
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah these things are really good. I remember the ones they have at 7-11 in Japan were so good, that I ate 3 in a row for a mid-nite snack!

But finding these in Calgary is a tough one. None of my Japanese friends can find them here neither. Your best bet is to cook up some Japanes rice and add onigiri seasoning in. You can get packs of these things in Korean or Chinese grocery stores. Although not as fancy as the salmon or ikura ones, they are still authentic. There was a hotel that I stayed at in Japan that had free breakfasts. But instead of muffins and coffee, they served miso soup with various onigiri's spiced with similar seasoning.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/images3.jlist.com/g3/onigiri_mix_bento_a42.jpg

Vagabond142
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM
^^^ would like to find.

Also, I can never seem to get my homemade onigiri right ._. It always either is too wet, too sticky, or dries out REALLY fast (not even 24 hours in a sealed container in the fridge). Anyone make their own onigiri (successfully!) that can pass on tips? :D

GQBalla
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
do you add japanese vinegar to the rice when you make it?

cdnsir
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I got some at the NE TnT before, and I think I saw them at the Korean Store on 10 Ave and 13St SW as well.

No need to add vinegar. Just cook the Jpns rice to normal eating consistency.

1. Wait for it to cool slightly (still hot to touch, just not boiling hot), stir in mix.
2. Get a piece of Saran Wrap, moisten one side with salted water.
3. Lay seaweed down, add a scoop of rice. (Make an indent for a filling like tuna and mayo)
4. Pick up wrap and squeeze the rice towards the centre.
5. Twist the top opening end of the plastic to seal, then roll into a ball.
6. Hand shape into a triangle. DONE!

It's ideal to eat it in the same day. But I had made them the night before for lunch the next day. It's does feel harder straight out of the fridge. But if you let it "thaw" till lunch time, it will often up a little. You can also nuke it for 15sec or so, that will soften it up a lot! Oh, if you prefer the seaweed crispy, bring that on the side then wrap it when you're about to eat it.

This really is a convenient food, so there's really nothing to it. Have fun and be a little gay with it!

http://www.deviantart.com/download/57046401/Onigiri_Expressions_by_yiji.jpg