PDA

View Full Version : Wing Nights with un-breaded wings

JordanEG6
01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Odd request - Any wing specials today at pubs/restaurants where their wings aren't breaded? Preferably somewhere in the NE area.

adidas
01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
hotwings is your friend.

pick up the phone and get busy calling places!

black300
01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Check this out might be helpful

http://calgary.ab.hotwings.ca/

Tik-Tok
01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by adidas
hotwings dot ca is your friend.

fixed

JordanEG6
01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Hotwings only gives me flavors and prices.

Calling the places was sort of my last resort. I'm lazy. Thought if anyone knew on the boards, it'd make it easier for me.

dino_martini
01-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Doesn't every place have unbreaded wings?

Every wing night I've gone to has unbreaded. The only breaded ones I know of are the salt and pepper wings

JordanAndrew
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
bubble mania :dunno:

sputnik
01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know of anyone other than Montana's or Kelsey's that breads their wings.

bubbley
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Every wing night I've gone to has unbreaded. The only breaded ones I know of are the salt and pepper wings

yeah, the only place ive ever been to that had battered wings was the flight deck...

VWEvo
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Do you mean skinless wings??

JordanEG6
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
no, breaded. i dont mind skin.

nonlinear
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Originally posted by sputnik
I don't know of anyone other than Montana's or Kelsey's that breads their wings.

Originally posted by bubbley

yeah, the only place ive ever been to that had battered wings was the flight deck...

hahah, i was gonna say this same exact thing, but i'm by no means a wing expert and don't get them often, so i thought maybe i was an idiot or something. perhaps a better question is "where can i get breaded wings?"

cocoabrova
01-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Jamesons? Pretty sure theirs aren't breaded, and we might be going tonight homie. Doublecheck with JC or Rich though cuz I don't really have the wings when I'm there....

300zxfairlday
01-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Jr's has pretty good wings and alot of flavors aswell!
Jamesons are ok as well

desto2para
01-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
Jamesons? Pretty sure theirs aren't breaded, and we might be going tonight homie. Doublecheck with JC or Rich though cuz I don't really have the wings when I'm there....

i think jamesons is the best place for wings on wing night

vengie
01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by desto2para

i think jamesons is the best place for wings on wing night

Noo way! Black sheep is by far the best! meatiest wings I have ever seen! DELICIOUS!

dj_rice
01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
On 16th Ave, across from Bubblemania is a place called Juliet's, not sure if its still called that, went here years ago, had decent wings

inline6turbo
01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Rusty cage has like 30 flavours and I'm sure half aren't breaded.
Hot, medium, mild, teriyaki, honey garlic, BBQ, then all their original ones like jamaican jerk, buffalo, Johnny cash, BBQ Jack... Having issues remembering but those are the unbreaded ones coming to mind

desipwr
01-27-2010, 01:23 PM
woodys in ne is cheap and unbreaded

Weapon_R
01-27-2010, 01:41 PM
I can't think of many places that bread their wings. Most of the smaller joints don't spend the extra on breaded wings (which are gross anyways).

JordanEG6
01-27-2010, 01:45 PM

Nice!

But yeah dude, they are breaded. It's the closest to work, so I called there first haha.

Maybe we'll try Jr.'s

cocoabrova
01-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Nice!

But yeah dude, they are breaded. It's the closest to work, so I called there first haha.

Maybe we'll try Jr.'s
Haha you'll eat chicharon but you won't eat breaded wings:poosie:

JordanEG6
01-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I'd don't go for wings too often, Usually to Jameson's and Hooters, both bread their wings, I assumed alot of places bread theirs as well.

I guess almost any place with cheap wing nights don't bread theres.

Haha you'll eat chicharon but you won't eat breaded wings:poosie:

Chicharon doesn't have carbs ;) :rofl:

Sorrik
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Stavros on 4th (across from Fowler HS) has the wings that you are looking for.

25cents a piece on Tuesdays (min. of 12 I think)

TravisD62
01-27-2010, 03:46 PM
try the regal beagle south of 16ave on 14st. by far the best wings i've ever had in the city, and they're $0.25 tonight. try the beagle ones, i'll be going there tonight as ususal. hahahaha.

TeamBestBud
01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Juliets castle on 16th...weekdays are good avoid weekends (Friday-Sunday)

wintonyk
01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Being someone that can't have bread (gluten allergy) this was a common concern of mine. The dixons, limiricks chain of restraunts are all no dice and they can't do them unbreaded. I used to always go to bull and finch back in the day.

Your best bet as most people mentioned is to call ahead. Unfortunately however if you are anything like me, gluten contamination in the deep frying oil makes it so even unbreaded are dangerous.

almerick
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
Juliets castle on 16th...weekdays are good avoid weekends (Friday-Sunday)

The first time I ever went there, their entrance door did not look like an entrance door so I couldn't find the entrance, if that made any sense at all.

Spoons
01-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I can't think of many places that bread their wings. Most of the smaller joints don't spend the extra on breaded wings (which are gross anyways).

Nah man the kitchen I work with has the best breaded wings. We flour them once, let them sit for a day in the fridge, then flour them again. Sit. Then slightly cook them, then with orders we deep fry them. Crunchiest and best wings you will ever have... To bad it is in Squamish. :(

nonlinear
01-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by TravisD62
try the regal beagle south of 16ave on 14st. by far the best wings i've ever had in the city, and they're $0.25 tonight. try the beagle ones, i'll be going there tonight as ususal. hahahaha.

IMO best wings in the city, too. there is also a location on macleod just north of southland.

nonlinear
01-27-2010, 04:32 PM
hrm, what exactly do you mean by 'breaded." are you talking about actual thick breading, like a batter would make, or are you talking about simple dredging in flour (which IMO isn't considered "breaded"). I think you'll have a hard time finding ANYWHERE that doesn't dredge the wings in flour before frying. i mean seriously, that is how chicken wings are made. i mean, even the original buffalo wing recipe from the Anchor Bar requires dredging http://americanfood.about.com/od/appetizersandsoups/r/bufchicwing.htm

but, I would hardly call that a breading.

CivicDXR
01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Thats weird, I thought the wings weren't breaded at Jamesons NE. Maybe I'm just so hungry that I don't notice. It just seems like skin, then sauce. But yeah, we'll be there tonight if you wanna holla for a dolla, fuck for a buck, or do somethin' strange for some change...

No homo...

:D

signature7
01-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Hooters in NE

HuMz
01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I always thought breaded would be considered KFC, Pizza delight, bubblemania or most chinese restaraunts wings.

Seemed to me like any other wing night night was non-breaded. :confused:

frozenrice
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
Being someone that can't have bread (gluten allergy) this was a common concern of mine. The dixons, limiricks chain of restraunts are all no dice and they can't do them unbreaded. I used to always go to bull and finch back in the day.

Instead of Wednesday wings, the Dixon's/Limmerick's chain now has one cent rib night. I've gone a few times now and get pretty stuffed on 30 cents worth of ribs. If you can hit it during happy hour you can get a few beers in too with ribs for under $10.00.

http://www.calgarysbestpubs.com/ :drool:

JordanEG6
01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
Thats weird, I thought the wings weren't breaded at Jamesons NE. Maybe I'm just so hungry that I don't notice. It just seems like skin, then sauce. But yeah, we'll be there tonight if you wanna holla for a dolla, fuck for a buck, or do somethin' strange for some change...

No homo...

:D

:rofl:

Haha I would've went and met up if they weren't breaded. I'll try the ones mentioned on here on a weekly basis. Hahaha.

Originally posted by signature7
Hooters in NE

Good wings, but no wing specials.

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I'll hop on Hotwings.ca and just call around or take peoples word for it on here. I'll probably try Reagle Beagle next week.

msommers
01-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Juliet's has pretty decent hot wings but fuck it's so shady inside

l/l/rX
02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
rips north and south, bubblemania, jamesons, brewsters annnd thats all i can think of at the moment

Kari_310
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I also can't have breading on my chicken wings and I've found that bubblemania, juilet's, jamesons are all breaded.

The only place that I've found without breading is bootleggers on 32nd.

dj_rice
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Kari_310
I also can't have breading on my chicken wings and I've found that bubblemania, juilet's, jamesons are all breaded.

The only place that I've found without breading is bootleggers on 32nd.

Are you sure?I've been to Juliet and Bubblemania and its just chicken wings fried up, no breading. Hmmmmmm something suspicious here, trying to promote Bootleggers?

Jeremiah
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
There are a handful of places i go to to have wings. I also don't eat carbs and have found 9/10 places don't bread them whatsoever. My favourite place is Oliver Greens.. 0.14 cents on tuesdays and saturdays, place is always empty, pretty good service and the hot wings are great. Try them out tomorrow Jordan and let me know what you think

nonlinear
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
i still don't quite understand what OP means by "breaded wings."

flipstah
02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

For me, "breaded" wings are KFC. Most of the places I go are drenched in sauce (minus S&P wings.)

eglove
02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
bootleggers!

dj_rice
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Breaded as in coating I think, like dipped in flour/egg etc and then a fry batter or tempura style coating

natejj
02-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Blacksheep westcoast has the meatiest biggest bastard wings out of anywhere in Calgary. You actually get MEAT on your wings. Not like that garbage at Seanachies. 30 cents a wing, but its TOTALLY worth it.

Kari_310
02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Are you sure?I've been to Juliet and Bubblemania and its just chicken wings fried up, no breading. Hmmmmmm something suspicious here, trying to promote Bootleggers?

lol nope, i don't even like bootleggers wings, but they are the only ones I have found so far that dont have a flour coating (no gluten for me)

I have asked the people that work at bubbles and have seen the wings from take out and those ones had breading. It would be awesome if they didn't though.. I would be there to eat some tomorrow.

Also, I've had pizza hut and pizza 73 wings and they don't have breading (most flavours)

JordanEG6
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
There are a handful of places i go to to have wings. I also don't eat carbs and have found 9/10 places don't bread them whatsoever. My favourite place is Oliver Greens.. 0.14 cents on tuesdays and saturdays, place is always empty, pretty good service and the hot wings are great. Try them out tomorrow Jordan and let me know what you think

Sweet dude, I'll have to give them a try as well.

battered in bread crumbs, or flour/egg etc. I just want meat. Apparently, most places never bread their wings anyway. The places I normally go to bread theirs. I gotta go more wing nights haha.

thrasher22
02-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Moose Meguires near the Foothills hospital every tuesday has rad 25cent wings.

In fact I'll be eating 30+ of them tonight :)

OCDP
02-02-2010, 03:43 PM

Jamesons, IMO is the best for wing night. Only breaded I believe are the lemon pepper. Could also try the black lion in temple, kind of a hole in the wall but decent, jumbo sized wings. Reagle Beagle I believe has awesome unbreaded wings. Most places serve both for the most part.

gqmw
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I'd say beckhams on centre street has the best wings...dill pickle and roasted garlic :drool: