PDA

View Full Version : Saw the beginning of a police chase tonight

bspot
01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
I was turning from Eastbound 17th ave S to Northbound Macleod trail when I saw a guy in a pickup truck, possibly ford, run the red pretty bad on Northbound Macleod as I was starting to turn. Then he blows another red at 12th ave, and to my dismay the red light camera must not be at that location right now. Luckily there was a cop just ahead that turns on his lights. The truck blasts through reds on 11th and 10th and takes a quick right on 9th ave. My lights turned green very shortly after, so I went the same way to see if he got pulled over. He was nowhere to be seen on 9th, and when I turned on 3rd st E I could see the cop way up at the 5th avenue flyover already taking off after the guy.

Does this stuff normally end up on Citybeat? I'm curious what happened.

5000Audi
01-28-2010, 12:26 AM
yeah cop chase's are cool to see.. few years back was going up 16th(E) just after the deerfoot, just got through the set of lights when a car came flying onto 16th, clipped me and another car.. then about 4 cop cars behind.. was pretty cool... later to find out he smashed HARD into another car on the 36th street exit..

in your case. coulda just been a stolen truck.. dunno if that'd make it on city beat

scat19
01-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Sounds crazy

eglove
01-28-2010, 12:45 AM
COOL STORY BRO

revelations
01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by bspot
I was turning from Eastbound 17th ave S to Northbound Macleod trail when I saw a guy in a pickup truck, possibly ford, run the red pretty bad on Northbound Macleod as I was starting to turn. Then he blows another red at 12th ave, and to my dismay the red light camera must not be at that location right now. Luckily there was a cop just ahead that turns on his lights. The truck blasts through reds on 11th and 10th and takes a quick right on 9th ave. My lights turned green very shortly after, so I went the same way to see if he got pulled over. He was nowhere to be seen on 9th, and when I turned on 3rd st E I could see the cop way up at the 5th avenue flyover already taking off after the guy.

Just from my obserations on Cb, they dont broadcast unsuccessful chases.

Nothing on there right now.
http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/news.aspx?ncid=17193

mx73someday
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Just from my obserations on Cb, they dont broadcast unsuccessful chases.

Just like police chase TV shows, they don't show successful getaways anymore. I remember as a kid watching one of the first TV police chase shows, there was a gang who had two or three identical EF Civic 4-doors, they were trying to steal another car as a cop showed up. A couple guys jumped into one of the Civics through the windows and sunroof. Then a chase started but it ended pretty quickly because the cop couldn't keep up.

Sharpie
01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

Just like police chase TV shows, they don't show successful getaways anymore. I remember as a kid watching one of the first TV police chase shows, there was a gang who had two or three identical EF Civic 4-doors, they were trying to steal another car as a cop showed up. A couple guys jumped into one of the Civics through the windows and sunroof. Then a chase started but it ended pretty quickly because the cop couldn't keep up.
I think there is a flaw in your story, how couldnt the cop keep up to a 4door civic?:rofl:

mx73someday
01-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

I think there is a flaw in your story, how couldnt the cop keep up to a 4door civic?:rofl:

It was in traffic, it was weaving and lane changing faster than the cop could.

hampstor
01-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
yeah cop chase's are cool to see.. few years back was going up 16th(E) just after the deerfoot, just got through the set of lights when a car came flying onto 16th, clipped me and another car.. then about 4 cop cars behind.. was pretty cool... later to find out he smashed HARD into another car on the 36th street exit..

in your case. coulda just been a stolen truck.. dunno if that'd make it on city beat

IIRC, it's reasons like this where the guy hits an innocent bystander is why CPS does not pursue / escalate a high speed chase anymore.

ercchry
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

are you sure this was not a movie? and they were stealing a semi? :rofl:

dino_martini
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I was walking toward MRC a few weeks back and I looked up and HAWCS was circling, and circling, and circling. Then a black GMC Sierra half ton blew by me at what felt like upwards of 100km/hr. Then three police Vans went by without their lights on. Then two ghost cars, then three regular cruisers with their lights on.

First time I've seen a pursuit...

CUG
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

IIRC, it's reasons like this where the guy hits an innocent bystander is why CPS does not pursue / escalate a high speed chase anymore. That was Cst Rick Sonnenberg. His Memorial is at the location where he was killed setting up a spike belt under the Southland overpass on deerfoot.

revelations
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by CUG
That was Cst Rick Sonnenberg. His Memorial is at the location where he was killed setting up a spike belt under the Southland overpass on deerfoot.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I was under the impression that the memorial was for an EMS tech killed in the line of duty there.

adam c
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by CUG
That was Cst Rick Sonnenberg. His Memorial is at the location where he was killed setting up a spike belt under the Southland overpass on deerfoot.

and this is why we have HAWCS

Kennyredline
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
A pickup ran a red light? Hard to imagine.

sloan
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by CUG

Ive always wondered what that was for. I drove by in dec, i believe, and there were 15+ police cars pulled over there with their lights on, laying flowers and such.

hampstor
01-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by CUG

My bad, I knew they HAWCS was the result of his death - didnt realize the no high speed chases was a result of that either.

phil98z24
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Yah, what you saw was the beginning of another "it's only a stolen F350 being driven in a dangerous manner endangering the public so we shouldn't (yes, shouldn't) stop it" non-pursuit. For some reason it's okay that we stop people shooting guns in the street but not people driving ginormous trucks that almost mow people down and present just as much of a threat... I'm ranting now, sorry!!

This is a bit of a red button issue with me, so I'm not going to go any further into this... suffice to say, I think portions of our pursuit policy are, erm.. lacking, and this kind of thing happens WAY too often - often enough that it isn't even news. :banghead:

DayGlow
01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
My view if I had any say is that anyone that flees in a vehicle raises the level to a lethal force confrontation and the police treat it as such.

Get a guy along the path with a C8 and put a couple rounds through the windshield.

Ahh, a perfect world.

Jay911
01-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
My view if I had any say is that anyone that flees in a vehicle raises the level to a lethal force confrontation and the police treat it as such.

Get a guy along the path with a C8 and put a couple rounds through the windshield.

Ahh, a perfect world.

I hear you good sir... would solve a lot of problems.

I say we should put miniguns on both helicopters, Blue Thunder-style.

I'm at least half-serious about that.

dragonone
01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
the only successful getaways I've heard of in Calgary are on motorcycles.

nonlinear
01-28-2010, 11:37 PM

Ahh, a perfect world.

Originally posted by Jay911

I hear you good sir... would solve a lot of problems.

I say we should put miniguns on both helicopters, Blue Thunder-style.

I'm at least half-serious about that.

yea, fuck trial by jury :rolleyes:

LadyLuck
01-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

VTEC!!

Duh!

:rofl:

TeamBestBud
01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I've been down to California about 10-15 times now in the last 7 years and every time I have gone I've seen a live police chase on TV.

Kloubek
01-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
I was walking toward MRC a few weeks back and I looked up and HAWCS was circling, and circling, and circling. Then a black GMC Sierra half ton blew by me at what felt like upwards of 100km/hr. Then three police Vans went by without their lights on. Then two ghost cars, then three regular cruisers with their lights on.

First time I've seen a pursuit...

Good thing they had the vans.

revelations
01-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

Yah, what you saw was the beginning of another "it's only a stolen F350 being driven in a dangerous manner endangering the public so we shouldn't (yes, shouldn't) stop it" non-pursuit. For some reason it's okay that we stop people shooting guns in the street but not people driving ginormous trucks that almost mow people down and present just as much of a threat... I'm ranting now, sorry!!

This is a bit of a red button issue with me, so I'm not going to go any further into this... suffice to say, I think portions of our pursuit policy are, erm.. lacking, and this kind of thing happens WAY too often - often enough that it isn't even news. :banghead:

What about using a GPS tagger like StarChase?

http://www.starchase.org/howitworks.html

DayGlow
01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

I'm sorry but people that flee in a vehicle is as much danger as someone popping off rounds down the street. Who knows if you hit someone or not. Blast through interesections in a truck is a real threat to cause death or bodily harm to someone. We wouldn't let the gunman go yet we do the truck. That makes no sense to me.

You want your trial? Then don't flee endangering everyone's lives.

phil98z24
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by revelations

What about using a GPS tagger like StarChase?

http://www.starchase.org/howitworks.html

I'm all for this type of tech, and I think it would help us out immensely. I'm sure the higher ups would agree, but if they do they sure aren't saying much. I think our HEATT unit does a tremendous job with auto theft in this city, but we need more tools and improved policy for the entire service.

The important thing about new tech and tactics out there is it will actually help us catch these guys and keep on putting them in jail (because we all know they won't stay in there), and that is what's important. God knows letting them go and never finding them certainly isn't the answer, and I don't think the public would accept that.

phil98z24
01-29-2010, 09:16 AM

Treating it as a lethal force confrontation and actually resolving it with lethal force are two completely different things - every situation needs to be evaluated on it's own merits. I don't necessarily think Dayglow meant this as a catch all solution. :)

My bit on that though... sometimes we have to do things that preserve public safety (protecting life and limb) which comes farther ahead than the right to a trial. We can't afford to let a menace to society like Sheldon Marcellus run around unimpeded, trying to run down pedestrians, cops, and the public at large without thinking twice about it. People who flee from police in stolen vehicles take it from simple property offences to very serious criminal offences that have the potential to kill and seriously injure people.

It needs to be treated far more seriously, and I think we are falling a bit short on that.

nonlinear
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM

DayGlow
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
oh come on, speak your mind. We have thick skins.

revelations
01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

I'm all for this type of tech, and I think it would help us out immensely. I'm sure the higher ups would agree, but if they do they sure aren't saying much. I think our HEATT unit does a tremendous job with auto theft in this city, but we need more tools and improved policy for the entire service.

The important thing about new tech and tactics out there is it will actually help us catch these guys and keep on putting them in jail (because we all know they won't stay in there), and that is what's important. God knows letting them go and never finding them certainly isn't the answer, and I don't think the public would accept that.

Like many public safety policies, it seems someone has to die before things get changed.

An example would be an incident where a fleeing suspect in a vehicle is let go due to a no-chase policy... and who then drives to a residence and commits a murder.

The Police would be in a no-win situation because the public expected them to do more but the public (and officer) safety policy prevented them from doing anything in that instance.

nonlinear
01-29-2010, 02:03 PM
oh come on, speak your mind. We have thick skins.

i was just gonna say, remember that pizza delivery dude who had a bomb strapped to his neck and was forced to commit armed robbery at several banks within a given amount of time, or the bomb would be detonated?

extreme example, but you see what i'm trying to say.

ipeefreely
01-29-2010, 02:13 PM

i was just gonna say, remember that pizza delivery dude who had a bomb strapped to his neck and was forced to commit armed robbery at several banks within a given amount of time, or the bomb would be detonated?

extreme example, but you see what i'm trying to say.

What movie was that??

nonlinear
01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

What movie was that??

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/us/fbi-releases-new-details-in-neck-bomb-bank-robbery.html?pagewanted=1

Cooked Rice
02-01-2010, 06:50 AM
what's cooler is seeing the swat team fly down the road. a bunch of blacked out SUVs that turn on the lights only to get past vehicles, then turns them back off. followed by the tactical vehicle, and the big command van.

cam_wmh
02-05-2010, 10:34 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/us/fbi-releases-new-details-in-neck-bomb-bank-robbery.html?pagewanted=1

You're right about the lethal confrontation aspect.. as what you posted is quite common, and should've been taken into consideration by dayglow...

Seriously man. :facepalm:

nonlinear
02-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

You're right about the lethal confrontation aspect.. as what you posted is quite common, and should've been taken into consideration by dayglow...

Seriously man. :facepalm:

i said it was an extreme example. reading pwns you. there are many instances where someone may be eluding police and where you would not want to open fire on the car.

cam_wmh
02-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Seriously? You took that 1:1 ?
Take your fantastical agenda to the wal-mart check out line.

Lol, at quoting yourself in your signature. So witty with your A790 bite.

nonlinear
02-06-2010, 01:14 PM
and yet another punk e-thug looking to start a fight on the internet. don't you have something better to do with your time than try to pick fights based on stupid shit people say on an internet forum? :facepalm: go play outside with 89s1 or something.

DayGlow
02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Ok let's say bomb man did decide to flee in a vehicle, is his life more important because he is unwillingly forced to do something, or the family he smokes on a minivan as he blows through a red?

My premise is that a vehicle being driven at high speed ignoring the rules of the road to flee the police is at a lethal force level. IE their is a real and measurable threat of harm to the public.

No different than if bomb guy was given a gun and told he has to go to the mall and start firing if he wants to live. As he's walking to the mall, crying saying he doesn't want to do it, should the copset him go as he hasn't harmed anyone yet, he's just walking with a gun in his hand saying he has to do thisif he wants to live? Tough choice for the cop, but I wouldn't let him move from where I found him. And if he does drop the gun I would have little choice, but to use lethal force to stop him to protect life, even if he is an unwilling pratcipant.

That is if we want to keep playing in the absurbed.

nonlinear
02-06-2010, 02:46 PM
^^hrm. the problem here is that you're basing your actions on the assumption that he is going to smoke a family in a minivan. i'm guessing that this is why we don't have this lethal force policy in effect.

i think the 'no high speed chase' policy is more effective at saving families from being smoked in their minivans.

DayGlow
02-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Douches in stolen vehicles drive like douches even when they aren't being chased. Just last December that woman was killed when the vehicle she was in was smoked by the stolen truck. Counltess times I've heard the helicopter calling out how these people drive without any cops around.

That is my point. These vehicles when driven recklessly present a real threat to the public, much akin to someone walking down the street with a gun. If I confront the person with the gun, no matter the outcome I will not let them leave. If I confront someone in a stolen vehicle ir have just committed a crime and are in a vehicle and the choose to run, them running in a vehicle, I personally believe, is a serious threat of harm to the public. I am failing in my duty to protect the public from harm by letting them go.

But don't worry, this is just my opinion and will never be law so you can sleep well at night knowing there is no conciquences for running from the cops.

oilerfan4lyfe
02-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I think I'm confused here...if you're a police officer and you see someone hit a pedestrian or something...you of course turn on your siren and go after them - if they don't pull over and run for it you have to just let them go?

Or do you only let people go if they only break traffic laws and refuse to stop?