PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Earns Loyalty Despite Current Problems

Markham
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Hey guys

My current op ed piece, this time on Toyota.

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/01/toyota-earns-loyalty-despite-current-problems/

Markham

BerserkerCatSplat
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Coles Notes:

I had an old Ford once. I didn't like it. I then spent many years buying only import vehicles, mostly Toyotas. I recently considered buying a domestic again, but a guy told me they were unreliable, so I didn't. Based on this evidence, the gas pedal issue will not cause Toyota many problems and I will continue to buy them. The End.

nonlinear
01-29-2010, 11:06 AM
hrm, a totally biased article written by a totally biased toyota fanboy. doesn't this guy realize that there really isn't such thing as 'domestic' and 'import' these days? i mean fuck, ford is now dealing with this toyota pedal problem in china, because they use the same effing supplier. this guy's argument is like trying to argue that Advil is superior to ibuprofen - even though they have the same exact chemical formula. it's a brand issue, and only douches get caught up in brand names.

EDIT: my apologies OP, i didn't realize you had written the article. nothing personal, i promise!!! ;)

USED1
01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
That article is a joke, wow! Can you be anymore biased?

Zewind
01-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Coles Notes:

I had an old Ford once. I didn't like it. I then spent many years buying only import vehicles, mostly Toyotas. I recently considered buying a domestic again, but a guy told me they were unreliable, so I didn't. Based on this evidence, the gas pedal issue will not cause Toyota many problems and I will continue to buy them. The End.

Thanks for saving me the time on reading it

Doozer
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Zewind

Thanks for saving me the time on reading it Ditto. I initially thought it was going to be worth reading until I saw the summary...

tentacles
01-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Toyota was FORCED BY THE NHTSA to stop selling those vehicles. It wasn't voluntary.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/27/report-toyota-was-legally-required-to-stop-selling-recalled-mod/

I just read a thing in yesterday's Herald about how all the Toyota dealers are saying it's voluntary and how they are doing you a favour by making you come in to get your pedal checked.

How are they so successful at covering this up?

:dunno:

Axe
01-29-2010, 01:13 PM
I believe the rules and procedures for the NHTSA are not always followed by Transport Canada, as they operate under a set of guidelines that are not always identical.

The NHTSA required Toyota to stop selling in the U.S., but i do not believe that Transport Canada required the same. Dealer may be telling the "truth" with regards to Toyota Canada.

Transport Canada is also much less effective and vocal in communicating to Canadian consumers about recalls and safety issues, hence the continual reference to the NHTSA in Canadian media articles around this.

Not that it makes it any better...

Driver of an '08 Highlander

A790
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
What a joke of an article.

rage2
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by USED1
Can you be anymore biased?
Have you read my F1 blogs? :rofl:

JfuckinC
01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Have you read my F1 blogs? :rofl:

blogs are for girls and gays :(

Super_Geo
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
My parents love Toyota so fucking much that this issue has done nothing to change their opinion of them "as long as they have it figured out when I buy my new [Camry]" (they said "car," but they meant Camry).

What is impressive, though, is that in the decade+ that I've been keeping track, neither one of them has ever had their Camry in the shop, regardless of generation or model. And I was very pleasantly surprised that the new V6 puts out 268hp (really? In a Camry?), but after driving it realized the genius engineers over there have somehow figured out how to make even that much hp feel like driving a tub of mashed potatoes.

I wish my parents would hit a mid-50s-life-crisis and buy something that doesn't want me to crash into a wall to confirm that I can still feel feelings on those days I borrow their car...

nonlinear
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
One of my cars is really an opel with north american badging. However, the same platform is also used for a number of GM brands including saab, fiat, buick, chevy, caddy, pontiac and saturn. so what does that mean? is this car german, italian, swedish, or american??? argh, i give up!!!! :thumbsup:

962 kid
01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Just thought I'd copy this from the other thread. Enjoy your new Toyota

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/28/did-nhtsa-know-of-toyota-woes-back-in-2004/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fautoblog+%28Autoblog%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Zephyr
01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
Just thought I'd copy this from the other thread. Enjoy your new Toyota

Some Lexus people reported this problem back in 06 for IS250 and ES models...so shouldn't be too surprising..

Sugarphreak
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM

93VR6
01-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Did anyone else see how sweet the rims on the matrix are!

01RedDX
01-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
hrm, a totally biased article written by a totally biased toyota fanboy.

Originally posted by USED1
That article is a joke, wow! Can you be anymore biased?

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
It was a hard read to get through that, the whole thing is overly opinionated

Do you guys even know what an op-ed is? I could have sworn OP said it was an op-ed piece (opinion editorial.)

EDIT: Here it is:

Originally posted by Markham
Hey guys

My current op ed piece, this time on Toyota.

Speed_69
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I've never owned a Toyota but I've driven quite a few of them (mostly rental cars). They are pretty boring to drive but comfortable and very reliable. One recall isn't going to change my opinion about their vehicles. Many manufacturers have had recalls, it just happens that this one is more major. I'd still consider getting a Toyota after this recall.

Sugarphreak
01-29-2010, 07:06 PM

TorqueDog
01-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
I've never owned a Toyota but I've driven quite a few of them (mostly rental cars). They are pretty boring to drive but comfortable and very reliable. ... you've never owned one, yet you can somehow draw the conclusion that Toyotas are reliable from the rental cars you've driven?

By that logic, the Chevrolet Impala, Pontiac Sunfire coupe, Dodge Charger, Dodge Durango, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee I've all rented over the years are of absolutely STELLAR quality because they didn't break down ONCE while I was renting them. :banghead:

Originally posted by Speed_69
One recall isn't going to change my opinion about their vehicles. Many manufacturers have had recalls, it just happens that this one is more major. I'd still consider getting a Toyota after this recall.If THIS recall won't change your opinion about their vehicles, what about the plethora of issues they've been having throughout the decade? Toyota's reputation for quality has been rubbish for years.

An article from the Toronto Star:

Olive: Toyota's reputation for quality long gone
Employees strayed from `Toyota Way' during years of rapid growth
Jan 28, 2010

David Olive
Columnist

My friend Mary Lou in Michigan knows that Toyota's reputation for quality is a sham. On a recent visit, she swept her arm across the width of the dashboard of her year-old Camry, bought new. "Every piece of this trim has fallen off or warped," she said of America's best-selling car.

An analyst at J.D. Power and Associates, the sine qua non in rating vehicle quality, told The Canadian Press Wednesday Toyota's recall of 2.3 million vehicles in the U.S. and 270,000 in Canada "signifies that (Toyota is) not afraid of doing the right thing for the right reasons, that short-term sales and profits are less important than taking care of the consumer and making sure they're safe in Toyota vehicles.''

I'd argue that not one word of that is true.

To start with, Toyota took the extraordinary step this week of suspending production at three U.S. and its two Canadian assembly plants because it was forced to by U.S. law. "It's not a voluntary thing," Toyota spokesman Mike Michels told the Wall Street Journal Wednesday.

More important, Toyota's quality problems go back many years, before the latest recall and last year's massive 4.2-million vehicle recall.

As it embarked on a goal of becoming the world's biggest automaker, Toyota failed to insulate itself from the "big-company disease" that humbled General Motors Co. As Toyota quickly ramped up production of its vehicles, its employees strayed from the automaker's "Toyota Way" of exacting quality control and continuous improvement in manufacturing methods.

It almost had to turn out that way. By 2007 Toyota was adding an average of two new factories a year to its global network, including a second Canadian plant in Woodstock that opened in 2008. Toyota's annual volume growth of about 500,000 vehicles equalled the entire production of Ford Motor Co.'s Volvo brand. By that same year, some 200,000, or two-thirds, of Toyota's workforce was located outside Japan. Toyota could no longer rely on word of mouth to convey the firm's managerial and manufacturing methods.

From 2004 to 2007, Toyota recalled a staggering 9.3 million vehicles – a number exceeding its total annual output, and up from 2.5 million recalls in the three years previous to 2004. In 2005, Toyota's rate of recalls as a percentage of vehicles on the road hit 10.1 per cent, compared with 6.8 per cent from GM and 2.5 per cent at Chrysler Group.

In 2006, Tokyo censured Toyota over improper business practices for failing for eight years to disclose and act on reports of a design flaw implicated in loss-of-control incidents. Loss of control due to accelerator pedals caught under floor mats triggered last year's huge recall, and caused four deaths after a Lexus abruptly went off the road in California.

In the 2007 J.D. Power survey, the Toyota brand scored below that of Hyundai Motor Co., a firm better known for price than quality. And the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety withheld its "top-pick" rating from Toyota's Camry and RAV4 SUV after their substandard performance in whiplash tests.

Also in 2007, Toyota's U.S. division settled a class-action lawsuit brought by motorists claiming that oil-sludge buildup destroyed their engines despite compliance with Toyota's maintenance guidelines.

A long three years ago, then-CEO Katsuaki Watanabe acknowledged to reporters that Toyota's long run of shoddiness was jeopardizing the company. "The world-class quality that we've built is our lifeline."

Yet, despite opening two quality "institutes" in each of North America and Europe to inculcate the "Toyota Way," there has been no meaningful improvement in Toyota quality. Like GM, stuck with too many plants as its market share dropped in half, Toyota has been compelled to keep all its new plants running flat-out to generate the cash flow to finance their construction, even as customer complaints have mounted.

Unlike Honda, Toyota is not an engineering trailblazer. And no one would accuse Toyota of being a trendsetter in styling akin to, say, BMW. Quality is principally what Toyota offers the market.
Toyota realized its goal of eclipsing GM as the world's largest automaker last year. The goal was a dubious one, given the risks. In any case, by late last year, Toyota had been overtaken by Volkswagen.

The only thing saving Toyota is a decades-long reputation for quality that people who still buy its cars don't realize the firm has not lived up to, for more than half a decade.
[email protected]

slinkie
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
'calgary beacon'

lmfao

get out of your garage and get a job

Buci
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.carinstructions.com/toyota-apologizes/ that's the latest news, Toyota president apologizes yesterday.

Boostzilla
02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't think twice about buying a Toyota despite the recent problems they have been having. All in all they still build a far superior vehicle compared to any domestic pos.