PDA

View Full Version : olive oil

Denny8569
01-30-2010, 01:07 AM
The greatest exponent of monounsaturated fat is olive oil, and it is a prime component of the Mediterranean Diet. Olive oil is a natural juice which preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit. Olive oil is the only vegetable oil that can be consumed as it is - freshly pressed from the fruit.
olive oil.

Studies have shown that people who consumed 25 milliliters (mL) - about 2 tablespoons - of virgin olive oil daily for 1 week showed less oxidation of LDL cholesterol and higher levels of antioxidant compounds, particularly phenols, in the blood.

Olive oil is very well tolerated by the stomach. In fact, olive oil's protective function has a beneficial effect on ulcers and gastritis. Olive oil activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones much more naturally than prescribed drugs. Consequently, it lowers the incidence of gallstone formation.

egmilano
01-30-2010, 01:19 AM
I love olive oil !
I prefer it rather than canola..:clap:

msommers
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Make some bruschetta too:D

I've been using olive oil in cooking for a long time, but recently heard that grape oil is better. Still haven't switched though.

DJ_NAV
01-30-2010, 05:55 PM
any comments on sunflower oil? started using it after a friend recommended it for cooking. i heard olive oil cant be used for cooking as something happens to it if it gets too hot.

wintonyk
01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
any comments on sunflower oil? started using it after a friend recommended it for cooking. i heard olive oil cant be used for cooking as something happens to it if it gets too hot.

You are right, Olive oil has a low smoke point. This is why it is less than ideal for cooking. Also another thing to note, out benefits from olive oil are lost when the oil is heated above 40 degrees celsius. The benefits are also related to extra virgin olive oil (least processed) that has not oxidized (rancid). Rancidity can be caused by heating, light, air and time.

Despite olive oils high levels of monounsaturated fats, of our common cooking oils, other than peanut, it has the highest levels of saturated fat. Try storing it in the fridge and you will see what I mean.

I use both olive oil and canola oil. Canola is relatively tasteless and won't burn when making an omellette. But nothing beats olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salad

Fat comparison (http://www.spinalhealth.net/fats.html)

01RedDX
01-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV

Sunflower oil has more polyunsaturated fat, while olive oil has more mono-unsaturated fat. That means olive oil is a little bit healthier, but not nearly as good for frying as sunflower oil. Still, I think sunflower oil tastes much better, in both frying and salads, but that's just my preference.

JAYMEZ
01-31-2010, 02:19 AM
I used to drink olive oil..

But question is .. why such a random post ? and whats the source on this , it sounds copy and pasted

^^^ As for cooking with olive oil.. Put it on the pan when its cold... dont put it on when its red hot , itll pop and explode.. (I have some beautiful scars on my hands as proof.. )

InRich
01-31-2010, 01:14 PM
If any of you have stainless steel applicances, you can rub olive oil on em, and it'll prevent finger prints.

DJ_NAV
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
So which is the best for cooking? Canola or Sunflower? I use olive oil for salads and colder stuff, but want to know the healtiest oil for cooking.

wintonyk
02-01-2010, 02:45 AM
canola, it has a greater portion of polyunsaturated fats. Also there are some that contain greater amounts of ALA (omega-3) which is a nice bonus

xxxazntigerxx
02-02-2010, 12:42 AM
my buddy takes couple teaspoons of that shit a day y?

benz_890
02-02-2010, 10:39 AM
:drool:

BigDL
02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I love dipping bread in the olive oil and balsamic vinegarar mix.

A790
02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I used to drink olive oil..

But question is .. why such a random post ? and whats the source on this , it sounds copy and pasted

^^^ As for cooking with olive oil.. Put it on the pan when its cold... dont put it on when its red hot , itll pop and explode.. (I have some beautiful scars on my hands as proof.. )
The OP was spamming his sig. By the time I nuked it people had already created a discussion about it, so I left the thread lol.

xxxazntigerxx
02-03-2010, 12:18 AM
y do people drink this stuff? lol

wts
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Canola oil is not good you period in any form. You use extra virgin olive oil for cooking as long as you keep the heat low.It's better for you to cook foods at low temps anyway. You can also use coconut oil. Grape seed is no better for you than canola.

Toma
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
If you HAVE to cook with oil, Canola is the best.

Most oils, when heated become oxidized, and will kill very quickly.

Canola is probably the best high temperature oil.

I dont cook/fry with oil, if I do, I use butter.

And ALL your oil has a shelf life. It must be protected from air (seal the container), heat and light, or it will oxidize in time anyway.

For health, I found cold pressed virgin Flax oil is better than anything else, but it is very unstable, so I buy it from the FRIDGE of a healthfood store, and keep it in my fridge, and I get a new bottle ever 2 weeks.

As per the Nobel price nominated Dr. Budwig, I take it with cottage cheese or yogurt in the morning, I sometimes use a coffee grinder to grind up flax seed and mix it in. You DO NOT ever want to buy pre ground flax seed or have it sitting around, again, because the oils oxidize.

JAYMEZ
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by A790

The OP was spamming his sig. By the time I nuked it people had already created a discussion about it, so I left the thread lol.

Hahha gotcha.. It was a troll .. Anyways , lets keep this thread going..

Lots of good things about Olive oil.