PDA

View Full Version : Idiot driver - tried to take me out

King Banana
01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
So he turns into the nearest lane with me behind him, then he proceeds to get into the far lane, and I begin to pass.
Then he decides to swirve back into the near lane and my honking had no effect on his decision and he proceeded to try to force me into the curb.

I pulled up to his truck after to give him the wtf look and he was enjoying himself, laughing and having a great time.
When he turned off the road finally he gave me the finger out he window as he drove off.

I had no idea he made contact until I got to my destination and pulled over to take a look just in case.
Sure enough, there was a black streak of rub down my front fender as I snuck out from his drunken maneuver.

So I called it in along with his plate number and made a claim. I was furious with this guy and I'm glad I kept my cool and didn't do anything to retaliate.

pink = his truck
green = my car

orange = signal
red = contact
blue = horn

http://www.modelexis.com/beyond/idiot.jpg

Should I have called the cops for dangerous driving charges to be applied?

JimmyJones
01-30-2010, 06:14 PM
damn that sucks, glad you got his plate though, the big piss off is the fact he was laughing.

on a side not I think you would make a great lawyer, well stated, calmly presented story with picture = drunken hicks of beyond's kind of entertainment!

Mixalot27
01-30-2010, 06:26 PM
What kind of a faggot drives a pink truck? :rofl:

bmw860
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

Ha Ha funny guy

94boosted
01-30-2010, 06:58 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck OP, let's hope the guy gets what he deserves.

jwslam
01-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Keep us posted.

King Banana
01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Monday I will be getting a call from a body shop, so once I get the damage assessed the insurance company will proceed.

I wanna toss the book at this dangerous driver.

bignerd
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Call the cops, tell them it was a hit and run and you did not feel safe chasing him down since he tried to run you off the road, you blew your horn trying to get him to pull over etc etc. If you have his plate they can deal with him.

revelations
01-30-2010, 07:20 PM
You will likely have to ID the driver, unless he "spontaneously" confesses if you want to press criminal charges.

BrknFngrs
01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
What make/model/color of truck and where abouts in the city did this happen?

Something almost identical happened to me a few weeks back on 16ave but I was able to barely avoid contact.

King Banana
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
It looked something like this:

Although it was late at night and I was more concerned with not crashing to ID the truck perfectly, and once I was safe I was concerned about getting the plate so I didn't look hard enough at the model/bodystyle.

It happened on mcknight blvd going eastbound.

SAN 557 is the plate.

Just an old white 1500.

http://www.dealercarsearch.com/Media/1103/2020-1A_17.jpg

BrknFngrs
01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Definitely not the same vehicle but good on you for reporting it to the police. Hopefully the bastard gets nailed.

89s1
01-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Good luck OP, I hope they get him for hit and run. :thumbsup:

SpeedIllusion
01-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Guys/Girls like this need their licence revoked!

rocky99
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
lol lol lol I know this guy. You probably deserved it OP!!!

BlackArcher101
01-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
Guys/Girls like this need their licence revoked!

It probably already is. Sadly, people will still drive.

89s1
01-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by rocky99

Sounds more like you are just a douchebag and enjoy like company. :dunno:

Or you're beyonds next banned member. Either way, you fail.

Shlade
01-30-2010, 09:37 PM

trace his IP

Beyond group KILL!

Sentry
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Lock and load boys.

speedog
01-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

trace his IP

Beyond group KILL! No, no - not the dreaded "trace his IP".

C'mon folks, unless you're on the inside at the ISP that this guy is getting his service from, then you're not gonna do squat and if you are on the inside, then I'd bet that you've most likely signed some kind of working agreement that prevents you from making that insider knowledge public. Been there (worked there), done that.

As an example, when I go to http://www.ip-details.com/ is shows my IP location as being in Burnaby which is a longs ways from my house which is in Calgary. Hell, even I can do a remote traceroute that will get closer to my house than that and the best I can do is get into Calgary.

Anyhow, go ahead and trace his IP - he's probably trembling right now.

Shlade
01-30-2010, 11:37 PM
is your sarcasm detector broken? or are you just stupid?

speedog
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Stupid tonight I guess, but ya never know on Beyond. Do remember a thread earlier this week where numerous members thought that having the IP was the next best thing to sliced bread.

Kennyredline
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
.....and yet....ANOTHER DOUCHEBAG IN A PICKUP!!!!:nut:

Zhariak
01-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear bro. This always sucks...

King Banana
01-31-2010, 02:39 PM

Something about this post gives me the inclination that you are a sick/twisted individual.

scat19
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
No, it's our beyond troll, who just says it to get you upset.

Same thing in my thread with a fucking douche.

Waldi
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Definitely report to police , they will go and check his truck for sign of incident (paint, scratches etc) and he will be charged with leaving the site of accident.

Kloubek
02-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Damn. Beat me to it.

One could comment on the lime green car too....

King Banana
02-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Update:

Today after work I stopped by my local district office as per instructions by the phone call I made to the non-emerg line.

My 'case' was handled by a newb-face cop and he decided to come out and inspect the damage.

After he looked at the damage he got upset with me and tried to tell me to take a hike.

-He stated that he flat out didn't believe my story
-He refused to make a police report
-He told me that collisions only result in dented and ruined fenders, not rub marks and missing paint via rubber marks.
-He asked me if I was racing him
-He told me my story is false and what actually happened was I was trying to commit insurance fraud because I took a turn in a parking lot and rubbed a pole.
-He stated that it was ridiculous to suggest that I was rubbed by another vehicle since there was no paint trade off, only rubber.
-He told me I was a liar and he was not going to help me.
-He also made it clear to me that he has seen damaged from lots of accidents.
-He stated that it would be more productive to try to scrape off the rubber and forget about it than to make a big deal out of it. (later he estimated the damage at $800)

I had to tell him to stop talking 2-3 times before he stopped and let me explain to him that I don't expect him to believe me, only to investigate and use the plate number I have to talk to the other driver.

He called the phone number on file for this other driver, apparently the kid's name is "Stephen or Steven Kenallis (or some other spelling)"

So he called the number on file, not home, and was given another number, but that number had no answer. So he told me to leave.

So I called the call line back and now I have arranged for an officer to meet with me at home and go over the damage and try to pursue this other driver for a hit-and-run charge.

Expected arrival time for CPS now is 30 mins to 4 hours.

nismo_fan
02-01-2010, 06:40 PM
wow go cps! :rolleyes:

sorry to hear about your luck, hopefully everything goes well!

King Banana
02-01-2010, 06:50 PM
He couldn't think of any possible scenario where a car contact results in rub marks.

I explained that race cars in tight packs rubbing and aggressive driving, you will almost every race find rub marks and scratches that don't fold a car in half.

He didn't understand what I was trying to explain and responded by asking me if I was racing this other car?

scat19
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
And yet some fucking prick of a cop believed some "tap-out", walmart lube technician hick about and went after me for a hit and run.

So fucking stupid.

I feel for you OP.

I tried to find my thread but our search here is not that good, can't find threads started by myself. oh well..

89s1
02-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Douchebag cop to the max.

He thinks poles in parking lots are made of rubber soft enough to rub off on a fender?

Sounds like real top notch police work from a rookie (future huge douchebag) cop. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Disoblige
02-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by scat19
And yet some fucking prick of a cop believed some "tap-out", walmart lube technician hick about and went after me for a hit and run.

So fucking stupid.

I feel for you OP.

I tried to find my thread but our search here is not that good, can't find threads started by myself. oh well..

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/266856/going-after-me-for-hit-and-run/

As for OP, wow what an asshole cop. OP, did you happen to drive a modified vehicle? I would have assumed something like the cop thinking you raced the truck just because it was modded. :rolleyes:

King Banana
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/266856/going-after-me-for-hit-and-run/

As for OP, wow what an asshole cop. OP, did you happen to drive a modified vehicle? I would have assumed something like the cop thinking you raced the truck just because it was modded. :rolleyes:

Family sedan with steelies/winter tires.
Everything is stock on the car.

King Banana
02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Update: currently have been waiting at home for just shy of 4 HOURS and no car has showed up.
Called again and asked whats up with this deal, the guy on the line said that it basically gets dispatched to a certain unit and it seems that they got an emergency call and so I have to wait for them to handle all other high priority calls until they handle mine.

Its now 9pm and I told him if they show up any later than 10 to not bother ringing the buzzer....

Not impressed...

King Banana
02-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Update:

It's now 10:30pm and I finally had a cop look at my damage.

Only took 5+ hours for them to reassign my call to someone that wasn't on an emergency call transporting someone to the hospital....

So he looked at my damage, told me he will talk to the other driver and get his side of the story.

He basically said that it's my word against his and if he said there was no accident, then I'm SOL.
Also, he said the resolve will be mailed to me (probably 20 yrs from now)

So I'm basically screwed, this kid is going to deny contact and I will have to fix my fender on my own.

The cops are not willing to go to bat for me, they refuse to put two and two together. They are unwilling to look at the evidence and the statements and fight to get me the restitution I deserve.

So the lesson here is, you can hit someone, as long as the damage isn't over $1000 and you don't have a third party whiteness.

I'll update if anything comes in, but that will be the conclusion I think.

I'm getting so sick of the sloppy police work in this city.

Cozmanator
02-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Good luck man! CPS in general are lazy to get around to shit cuz it actually involves them in DOING something, like writing reports.. There idealogy is , no witness.. its a he said she said problem. SO technically you can get your ass kicked with a bat, if no one sees it happen.. your out of luck.

There always on emergency duty, everytime I called one out.. they always said something dramatic happend like " Some guy had a bomb to his chest threating to blow up his house" ( it actually happend for a cop to say that to my face, a serious face). Some cops do there jobs and respect em, but lots dont do jack shit but pull people over and givem shit.. if there bored maybe even taser you.

jwslam
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Cozmanator
There always on emergency duty

one word. donuts.

Swank
02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
OP, you really sound like you had your shit together as far as handling it collecting info on this, which makes it even more infuriating that you got nowhere with CPS. I bet if someone did $800 worth of damage to one of their cars they would have a whole different attitude about it.

Mar
02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Not one person here can find the address from his license plate?

freshprince1
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Good Luck OP, keep us posted.

Make sure to get Beyond CSI involved when you find out the name of the guy that hit you. Beyond CSI has been getting far better results than CPS as of late.

King Banana
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Good Luck OP, keep us posted.

Make sure to get Beyond CSI involved when you find out the name of the guy that hit you. Beyond CSI has been getting far better results than CPS as of late.

I overheard the cop at the station when he was on the phone trying to call the kid.

apparently the kid's name is "Stephen Kenallis (not sure on spelling)"
ken-aah-lis is how he pronounced the last name.

FraserB
02-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who almost got railroaded into a hit and run charge/ police don't believe a statement. What district were you and Scat19 having issues in? My situation got to the point where I actually had to get legal counsel to fix the situation.

King Banana
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
District 3 for me (14th street NW)

I will post the names of the officers once the case is officially closed.

FraserB
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Forgot to mention this, you probably already know. He can't reuse to take a statement, even if he believes it is false. He can warn you that filiing a false report is a crime but in the end, if you still want to make that statement, he has to take it.

scat19
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
District 3 is where I had the problem, near crowchild/nosehill.

LiquidK
02-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by speedog
No, no - not the dreaded "trace his IP".

C'mon folks, unless you're on the inside at the ISP that this guy is getting his service from, then you're not gonna do squat and if you are on the inside, then I'd bet that you've most likely signed some kind of working agreement that prevents you from making that insider knowledge public. Been there (worked there), done that.

As an example, when I go to http://www.ip-details.com/ is shows my IP location as being in Burnaby which is a longs ways from my house which is in Calgary. Hell, even I can do a remote traceroute that will get closer to my house than that and the best I can do is get into Calgary.

Anyhow, go ahead and trace his IP - he's probably trembling right now.

most unnecessary shut down ever.

King Banana
02-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if I can somehow legally obtain this person's name and or address (the other driver)?

Mixalot27
02-03-2010, 03:01 AM

King Banana
02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Edited: (wrong guy)

Mixalot27
02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Maybe he just came to Calgary for the weekend even.

King Banana
02-03-2010, 08:42 AM
WTF - lol

Hopefully he joins the conversation and owns up before it gets really nasty.

Mixalot27
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM

JustGo
02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Just an FYI, I just completed a hit and run file for about $12 worth of damage because the guy wanted me to, so please don't paint all cops with the same brush. Some of us actually do try. :dunno:

King Banana
02-03-2010, 12:10 PM
The first member I spoke to refused me a report.
The second failed to even arrive to talk to me.
The third told me if it was him he would drop it and just drive the car with the damage.

I've already accepted that the police will do nothing to help me get restitution.

TorqueDog
02-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I saw the pre-edited post - good call. :rofl:

King Banana
02-03-2010, 05:18 PM

nj2Type-S
02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I saw the pre-edited post - good call. :rofl:

lol, no kidding. :rofl: although, i can definitely sympathize w/ the OP.

King Banana
02-03-2010, 05:46 PM

King Banana
02-03-2010, 06:21 PM

My apologies to the face book user
Steven Kunellis

------------------

On that note, I think I'm gonna give up.
I've spent a bit more energy on it than I would have liked to and I'm just gonna have to do things a little differently next time.

Next time I can save so much more time by just handling it myself 100% and not even getting the police involved.

It could have saved me a lot of trouble if I would have known that fact ahead of time.

JustGo
02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by King Banana
The third told me if it was him he would drop it and just drive the car with the damage.

I've already accepted that the police will do nothing to help me get restitution. Pm me their names.

King Banana
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
pm'd

I'll probably try to contact the officer that took my statement tomorrow to see if he was able to find any sort of damage marks on the truck in question.

Mixalot27
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM

King Banana
02-03-2010, 07:11 PM

signature7
02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
So is this case closed for you? Just out of your own pocket for the damages? If that's the case it's really too bad. It doesn't make sense that the cops wouldn't help you, I've had cops help me with a lot less damage-not car damage but theft that doesn't even come close to 800 dollars.

1 time however, I witnessed a hit and run and cops refused to do anything about it because no one had reported it yet. At least they could've taken plate number or my phone number.

King Banana
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
It's not officially closed, I will speak to the investigating officer today or tomorrow and find out if he got anywhere looking at the truck and talking to the owner.

The cop already assured me that even if he found damage I will likely get nothing to fix my car.

I will just drive it broken for a few months until it's warm enough to troll the bone yard for a "new" fender.

So it will cost me about 40$ and the time/labour to swap fenders.

My biggest beef is the fact that people can drive like that and give you the finger and have no consequences, even when reported to police.

"HERE, I've got his plate number, I can show you the damage, all you have to do is go and talk to him and handle it to a satisfactory degree where both parties are treated fairly"

Not the way the real world works unfortunately.

I have no reason to lie about this incident, there is absolutely nothing in it for me that could possibly make it worth lying and spending all this time and energy over.
The police have all my information, they can see if I have a history of reporting false claims in order to replace fenders on my car.

The_Rural_Juror
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM

I've already accepted that the police will do nothing to help me get restitution.

The way that the scammer threads have been going, in a few years it would be:

1st member: post it on beyond.ca

Seriously though, I hope the legions on here will help you track the ahole down.

King Banana
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Sort of an update:

The officer handling the 'case' hasn't been at work since the night that the statement was taken (7 days ago)

So now that he's back from vacation he let me know he will be talking to the other driver and will get back to me as to the result.

I did some research about the style of truck and the culprit for the rub location and it is a rubber strip that goes along the middle of the rear bumper.

It's a ribbed rubber piece, capable of making distinct lines when rubbed up against another car.
Guess what type of marks my fender has? (3-4 distinct 'streaks' of black rubber)

If this is tossed aside I would be very confused.

To me, if a company can handle very complex tasks (drug busts etc) then it should be infinitely easier for them to handle easy cases where they have the plate, they have both drivers, they have both vehicles, they have damage evidence matching, etc etc etc.

And yet the infinitely simpler case with infinitely less variables and infinitely more clues and evidence, this is the case that can never be handled properly?

The simple answer, what is quite clear to most people that have dealt with something similar to me, is that they are not an efficient company and most times their lack of efficiency forces the victim to feel like they are wasting the cop's time, when in reality, the company is responsible for having a workflow that creates fast and effective solutions to simple problems.

(I use the term company loosely btw)

If I were the cop, I would have taken statements from both parties, looked at the damage, brought the two vehicles together to match the damage. Then I would have looked at the victim and his record and looked at the possible self interest of the situation.
Then I would have discussed with the victim first what a reasonable and fair restitution would entail, then I would give the guilty party a few options for restitution and make sure they are met in a timely manner. Case closed.

bignerd
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
So I am confused then, say some old huge piece of shit truck hits your car and causes several thousand dollars of damage and you get their plate but they leave. Is it your word against thiers still?

I understand there would probably be damage to their car too but say there wasn't or nothing major, then what? I thought hit and runs were illegal, but I guess rubbing and running is not a big deal.

King Banana
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
So I am confused then, say some old huge piece of shit truck hits your car and causes several thousand dollars of damage and you get their plate but they leave. Is it your word against thiers still?

I understand there would probably be damage to their car too but say there wasn't or nothing major, then what? I thought hit and runs were illegal, but I guess rubbing and running is not a big deal.

Normally you would just go through insurance, but since I have comprehensive insurance on my car I have to go through CPS.

King Banana
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
update?

Called the cop on monday, it's now friday and I have not heard back and will likely not hear back.

He told me he would 'let me know'

:bullshit:

Cozmanator
02-13-2010, 03:37 AM
I feel sorry for you bro. Justice system just sucks, on any level in Canada. Maybe you can try to find someone thats a higher rank above him. There might be some cops here on Beyond that maybe are willing to help you out.

Disoblige
02-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I assume you haven't heard much in the last few days due to no update?

Damn that sucks. :whipped:

ClearBluewater
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
What kind of a faggot drives a truck? :rofl:

Fixed? :P

lison
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
yo that stuff always happens to me...
people always swerve towards me...
friggin horrible drivers...

King Banana
02-18-2010, 10:51 PM
No update, no callback, this case is officially closed.

No resolve.

Iqoair
02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Pics of damage?

King Banana
02-19-2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.modelexis.com/beyond/DSCF25362.jpg

Some of the black should come off with some rubbing compound, but the gashes and scrapes underneath won't.

Wrinkly
02-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Wrong - just so wrong! Makes my blood boil! Damned moronic drivers! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Critical
02-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
I remember some asshole reported a hit and run on my plate but I wasn't even involved. It took the idiot three days to realize he made a mistake and made me deal with so much shit.

phil98z24
02-19-2010, 06:23 AM
No update, no callback, this case is officially closed.

No resolve.

This isn't done, because you haven't got any sort of resolution whatsoever. Not calling you back and not updating you on the status of an investigation regarding your casefile is neglect of duty - fuck that.

Go and talk to his Sergeant and see what he says. If what you are saying is true, I don't see how this investigation can be anywhere near complete - and anyone who tells you they won't take a report is being a prick, because we are obligated to do so. Make sure you say something about that too.

I would help you with this one and see what I can drum up for you, but unfortunately there are privacy issues and things that won't allow me to do that.

tawheed
02-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I had an experience like this a few years back..

Some insane dude decided to step out of his car and kick the door of my car in. Even though I had an independent witness from another vehicle the cops basically told me to take a hike because, get this, the guy who kicked my car said I spit on his!

$1200 damage - I started recording the phone calls with the "investigating officer" and sent a letter to his staff seargent. A few months down the road I get a call from someone saying the guy wants to pay for my damages..

You have to go above the investigating officer usually, they tend to want to do as little work as possible.

phil98z24
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by tawheed

You have to go above the investigating officer usually, they tend to want to do as little work as possible.

That is highly inaccurate, and that is based on YOUR experience. Most of us aren't so lazy as to not make a few phone calls and complete the investigation, so please don't paint us all with the same brush.

tawheed
02-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

That is highly inaccurate, and that is based on YOUR experience. Most of us aren't so lazy as to not make a few phone calls and complete the investigation, so please don't paint us all with the same brush.

Agreed, this is me relaying my experience and also what I've heard from others in similar situations. I have also come across some very decent police officers and have nothing but positive things to say about them.

The above experience was awful to go through and definitely made me lose faith in the EPS. I was treated like a child and the investigating officer did everything in his power to get rid of me and my issue. Were it not for my own diligence in not wanting to get screwed I would have definitely been.

I also think it is helpful to go to the Staff Sgt. if you feel like your issue is not being dealt with appropriately.