PDA

View Full Version : What's this in the engine bay?

ColorMunki
01-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Hey Beyond,

I'm not too familiar with everything in this bay, but wanted to know what the white cap near the bottom right of this picture is? I looked at the minimum level of fluid in this white plastic tank and it's very near the minimum, and it's sort of a darker brown liquid, not too sure. It's the white cap near the nose area, but not the black cap on the far right.

Thanks!

http://image.modified.com/f/17354476/0201_07+2002_Honda_Civic_Si+Full_Engine_Bay_View0.jpg

theken
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
probably power steering fluid, what does it say on the cap any numbers dot or anyting

ColorMunki
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Not to my knowledge no in terms of any numbers. I think its near the front end and looks the same for Honda's though.

SOAB
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
it's most likely your coolant reservior.

if that fluid is brown, it's probably time to flush it fill.

ColorMunki
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Its for sure not power steering because I'm quite confident that its the grey tank with a red car for that.

The white cap is a bit smaller than the washer fluid cap for example for Hondas.

I'm not sure if its brown because its quite a ways down in the bay, but its definitely some sort of pale/darker color than the white translucent tank.

EDIT: Alright, to my understanding, that looks like to be the coolant tank as SOAB said. But it's just the overflow reservoir is it not? So as long as your rad is full and well, then it doesn't matter if the white tank is at a minimum level? Could someone verify if this is true, perhaps a Honda owner too haha.

Thanks again

A2VR6
01-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Yes thats the coolant overflow tank. I believe there should be a min fill line there and as long as there is enough coolant there it should be fine (serves as a backup).

revelations
01-31-2010, 01:48 AM
That looks like an EP3 bay, although others are similar.

That is your coolant overflow reservoir. You might need a flashlight to see the coolant level, especially if the container is dirty.

If the coolant is actually dark brown, flush out the overflow jug with water as gunk can get in there and sit for a while. Then fill it with a 50/50 mixture to the max line.

Pollywog
01-31-2010, 01:55 AM
And what is the reason and/or purpose of this thread? I mean, obviously you wanted to know what it is, but you make it sound like you don't own the car nor have one infront of you to look at...

And yes, that is an EP3 engine bay, and the overflow res. as previously stated.
http://image.sportcompactcarweb.com/f/8832093/0205_04zoom+2002_CIVIC_TYPE_R+Full_Engine_Bay_View.jpg

InLoveWitRSX
01-31-2010, 02:06 AM
wow the engine bay in the ep3 is identical to the engine bay in an rsx

A2VR6
01-31-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
wow the engine bay in the ep3 is identical to the engine bay in an rsx

Kinda makes sense since they use the exact same motor and are based on similar platforms