PDA

View Full Version : Noise eminating while I am driving

highwayman
11-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Hi Guys, please could someone help me. I have a Hyundai and while driving I get a kind of steady thumping noise. I cannot locate where it is comming from, but I suspect it is from the rear. I was told it could be my tyres because I had imported tyres which was not designed for my country's road conditions - I had new tyres put in. Then I was told that it was my rims that was buckled. I put on new rims. Now I am being told that it could be my wheel bearings or shocks. I had ny shocks tested at a fitment centre and it was OK. What advise can you guys give me ?

PS. It is not a loose jack or wheel spanner and neither is my exhaust back-firing.

Thanks
Highwayman
:banghead:

ZMan2k2
11-28-2003, 09:30 AM
From personal experience, if the thumping sound gets faster as you drive faster, then it will be your wheel bearings. If you want a quick way of testing this, jack up the car on one side at a time. Grab the tire on the bottom and top. If you can push and pull the tire, even a little bit, then the bearing is shot. This doesn't always work, but it is a fairly easy test to do.

3G
11-28-2003, 11:24 AM
I used to get those thumping noises when I tryed to do burnouts in the Caravan. :dunno:

sputnik
11-28-2003, 11:51 AM
I agree with ZMan2K2...

Hyundais are especially bad for bearings. A friend of mine had a Tib and the bearings were gone after 60k.

highwayman
11-30-2003, 05:01 AM
Thanks ZMan2k2 & Sputnik fpr your responses.

Yes, ZMan2k2, the noise does become faster/louder as I drive faster. I guess it is the wheel bearings after all.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sputnik - here's one for you, since you know a bit about Hyundai's.
Is it true that I need to replace the whole hub in order to change the bearings, or is my dealer just raping me for more money ?

Regards
Highwayman

:drama:

littledan
12-01-2003, 12:01 PM
^ try to find an exploded parts diagram... or locate a service manual for your ride... then you will know for sure. on my lude you have to replace the whole hub assembly so your dealer may not be bs'ing you...

highwayman
12-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks Littledan
I will try and get a diagram. Thanks for your help everyone.

Highwayman
:clap:

littledan
12-02-2003, 01:37 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SS00_J03.gif

just so you know what i'm talking about... #2 is the bearing assembly for my car...good luck man.