PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy 2 cars

cancer man
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Alright my twin boys are turning 16 on the 15th of this month.
I need 2 buy a couple of fixer uppers and surprise them.
What's the in thing right now?I like my muscle cars but worried.
Nothing overly complicated since they are going to learn how to fix them on their own.

benz_890
01-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Get them Accords, Civics, integras, Camrys, Corollas...something along those lines

dj_rice
01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Early Cavaliers/Sunfires? Mazda MX-3 Precidias?Older MR2's?Preludes?

ianmcc
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
How about a Focus ZX3? Tons of aftermarket support, virtually invisible to the man, cheap to maintain, operate and repair, and cheap. Only downfall is the oddball 4x108 bolt pattern which limits aftermarket wheel selection.

95EG6P
01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Get them a jeep 4X4 for our ulgy winters or a Camaro so they can fishtale all year round. ;)

gqmw
01-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by benz_890
Get them Accords, Civics, integras, Camrys, Corollas...something along those lines

+1 some of the most reliable things you're going to get and best bang for your buck.

2EFNFAST
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
I'd vote early 90s volvo - easy to learn on, shouldn't ever brake too badly, but it'll be built like a tank and protect them if they crack up.

bituerbo
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe talk to them, find out what sort of cars they are interested in. The surprise would be cool, but don't knock a good opportunity to bond with your boys over some good gearhead talk.

Tell them they've each got $1500 (or whatever your budget is) to spend, and need to find a car on Kijiji to prepare for some 'challenges'. If they are a fan of Top Gear they would love this. I've bought 3 cars off kijiji for $1000 or less. Drove them all for at least a year then sold em' for profit, except for the neon I'm still driving now.

HondaKid
01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
I assume insurance costs are a concern, show them how one car compares to another. I have heard a truck has lower insurance than most cars, no real experience though. A safe vehicle ought to be a concern as well, let's face it the first few years are rather touch and go with accidents.

I like the idea of a Top Gear Challenge, maybe watch an episode together where Top Gear has one of these challenges and when they say "that would be cool", you can be "Dad of the Year" by saying OK.

If they had the same model of car they could share in the learning and some of the costs might be lower as well. I am thinking of parts, deals when they make a parts order, etc.

Sounds like fun.

bituerbo
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
I assume insurance costs are a concern, show them how one car compares to another. I have heard a truck has lower insurance than most cars, no real experience though. A safe vehicle ought to be a concern as well, let's face it the first few years are rather touch and go with accidents.

I like the idea of a Top Gear Challenge, maybe watch an episode together where Top Gear has one of these challenges and when they say "that would be cool", you can be "Dad of the Year" by saying OK.

If they had the same model of car they could share in the learning and some of the costs might be lower as well. I am thinking of parts, deals when they make a parts order, etc.

Sounds like fun.

Twins have usually shared most things throughout their life... birthdays, bedrooms, life experiences etc. You should let them pick their own cars, establish an identity for themselves. With a $1000 car it would be cheaper to replace it twice anually than to pay comprehensive insurance, unless you're willing to register/insure both vehicles under your own name (dad's).

Clark-Kent
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
I say Civic or Integra:)

TomcoPDR
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Just my $0.02

If your boys get along, I suggest getting 2 completely different "styles" of vehicles and tell them they need to work out a "share" deal where they can swap vehicles around. (kids like doing that, driving different vehicles all the time... pretty sure that's what they do with their gf's)... but if they don't get along, I guess you gotta get each of their own.

I would suggest a "mini truck" or a regular cab truck with a bench seat... trucks are cool in school... and the bench seat cuz it's really easy to get blowjobs and fool around in a bench seated truck... I actually hate my GM Yukon, cuz it's got the "high end" cockpit console in the middle = no road head.

And then the 2nd car would be (as mentioned) some 4-banger... i.e. Civic, Tegs, Focus... if you want to go cheaper, some Amercian big car, like the old school 1984-89 Caprice, Monte Carlo, like someone mentioned Camaro, old Cadillac hearse wagon... Emo chicks love that old school stuff.

If you want to be a really good dad, tint the windows for them, kids love tinted windows.

good luck, sounds like you're the kind of dad that'll throw a kick ass party... keep your nose clean if you got a hottub @ the house.

01RedDX
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Find some cool fixer uppers that aren't quite running or require a bit of body work and get them to fix it themselves.

They will appreciate it a lot more, learn a valuable skill and be more careful when they drive.

Bizzareo
01-31-2010, 04:42 PM
I would recommend something RWD, much easier to work on. And that way if the ever have a slide in the winter later on in life it won't be this big scary uncontrollable incident (perspective of average Calgary driver).

scat19
01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I am a twin and this is my take on it:

Do NOT get the same car.

I've been called "the twins", "the brothers", etc, and you're always grouped together. Never really an indivdual most of your life. Especially if you're in the same school, etc.

Treat them as individual's, because they are individuals.

redsrt4
01-31-2010, 07:09 PM
buy me 95 eagle talon non-turbo:burnout:

drtoohotty1
01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
get one a early 90's civic and the other an early 90's corolla. Cheap easy to fix and pick and pull is a gold mine for parts.

TomcoPDR
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by scat19
I am a twin

so your brother haven't tried tinting his windshield? :D

jdmSiR
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
honda!

jdm_eg6
01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda EG and an acura integra DC2. Done, both reliably, hugely tunable and not fast enough to hurt them unless they carry too much momentum racing about ;)

Good luck, and stay away from sunfires/cavalies unless you never want your boys to score while in highschool.

JustinGTP
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

so your brother haven't tried tinting his windshield? :D

lol, no I haven't, and you've even rode in my old car (grand prix you removed dents out of)

:D

TomcoPDR
01-31-2010, 08:06 PM
^^ didn't know you're your brother's brother... lol ahhh I remember the black w-body... you sold that thing then? Request to change user name JustinMini

JustinGTP
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Haha yeah I sold it about a year ago now. I have one door ding in the MINI I need removed.... :P

Shlade
02-01-2010, 03:31 AM
foxbody mustangs mmmmm:love:

you dont want them driving no haaaandaaaz or acurazz

:angel:

cancer man
02-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Alright yesterday i bought an 1987 Volvo 240 and the other kid
a 1986 VW Cabriolet (he might be gay)not that there is anything wrong with that but they choose their own vehicles.Now the fun starts.

Shlade
02-01-2010, 06:33 AM
i couldnt help but laugh when you said he might be gay :rofl:

Haha nothing wrong with that tho at all like you say!

But sounds sweet tho! Hope they end up having some fun with these cars! First car is always the first love!

Cos
02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
sick a vw cab could be sick if he drops it and puts some deep dishes on it.

5G_celica
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Alright yesterday i bought an 1987 Volvo 240 and the other kid
a 1986 VW Cabriolet (he might be gay)not that there is anything wrong with that but they choose their own vehicles.Now the fun starts.

:rofl:

those are 2 great cars to start with.

Eleanor
02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
1986 VW Cabriolet (he might be gay) :rofl:

bituerbo
02-01-2010, 11:48 AM
LAWL @ gay comment, but it's cool you're understanding, and old VW's have a cult following, so he might just be an odd-ball car guy, and not a homersexual.

http://designercars.nl/biler/VW-Cabriolet-73946.jpg

mr2mike
02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Depends what you're after. My first car was gutless but it was good to learn on.

Once they invest time into the car, they'll appriciate it more and even if they do roast the tires, they know they're fixing it if something happens.

I would stick domestic like grand prix or something. Not a sunfire as it's dubbed a girls car.