PDA

View Full Version : plastic food storage containers - where to buy "open stock"

ExtraSlow
01-31-2010, 10:37 AM
This is more of a rant than anything, I guess. :banghead:

Like pretty much everyone, I use those plastic food storage containers to store my leftovers and lunches for work.
What I'd like to know is if there is somewhere that sells them as "open stock" instead of those massive kits. Places like wal-mart and superstore sell the huge kits with two each of five sizes, which is stupid. What I want is about a dozen of two different sizes, and none of the other sizes. That way they stack better in the drawer, and you can mix and match the lids easily.
Obviously, the big kits have a lower "per piece" price, but if I'm only going to use about 30% of the kit, it's not really a savings.

Favorite size is the 5.5" x 9" rectangle size. that's perfect for dinner for two, or a large salad. I've got a couple of that size from rubbermaid, but I can't find any matching ones anymore.

Also, I'm aware you can buy those cheapo ziploc brand ones in single size packs, but they shatter when cold, so they aren't suitable for use in the freezer.

Just for kicks, I've turned this into a poll as well.

schocker
01-31-2010, 10:43 AM
I know at coop I have seen the individual rubbermaid containers for sale. :dunno:

lint
01-31-2010, 11:17 AM
superstore has a good selection, homesense does at times as well

wintonyk
01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
I buy the rubbermaid ones. Only have two sizes in my cupboard. I think it was sears.

nonlinear
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
dollar stores usually have single tupperware-type containers. not sure about the quality, though. I just use the Glad ones from the grocery store... they come in packs of 6, i think. they are the perfect size for a lunch and are super cheap to boot. also, you don't freak out if you kinda fuck them up in the microwave or whatever, cause they are so cheap you can just throw 'em out.

cancer man
02-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Can you microwave Rubbermaid? I just buy the Glad ones awesome never any problems.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Those Glad and Ziploc ones don't handle high heat in the microwave very well, and they become very brittle when frozen. I've broken several just trying to get frozen pasta sauce out with a gentle thump.

darkkent
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
zellers had a decent selection as well last time i checked

jwslam
02-01-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.shopxscargo.com/product_catalogue/cat_product_details.asp?category_id=14&product_code=20579&sub_category_1_id=76&category=Storage

ExtraSlow
02-01-2010, 12:48 PM
jwslam, I've had that spin-n-store system, and hated it. Very low quality. I carry my lunch to work, and it's a real downer when your soup escapes.

jwslam
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
it's a real downer when your soup escapes.
lock n lock?
sorry I'm just a real sucker for infomercials.

Trini
02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
jwslam, I've had that spin-n-store system, and hated it. Very low quality. I carry my lunch to work, and it's a real downer when your soup escapes.

:rofl: that would be a bit of a situation there.

szw
02-01-2010, 05:58 PM
The best container is lock'n'lock. Spill proof lid and they have the glass containers as well as plastic. Not sure if its a korean company but they always sell them in korean supermarkets and home supply shops. T&T might have them too if you are unable to find korean stores in Calgary.

http://www.locknlock.com.au/

I think they sell them at walmart and lots of other stores as well, but never checked to see if they sell individuals. At the asian stores they usually sell single units.

szw
02-01-2010, 06:02 PM
i just searched a couple stores, I think you can find these everywhere sold individually. walmart has this glass one that might be the right size.

LINK (http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/search_results.jsp;jsessionid=LnqcknWylJt8qn3QNphRBXH2NbKwNVCkpJQXPpxnrq9w8525DL72!-439958203?bmForm=form_endeca_search&bmFormID=1265068732987&bmUID=1265068732987&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fhome.jsp&bmHidden=OMNITURE_FROM&OMNITURE_FROM=Search&bmText=quick_search_term&quick_search_term=plastic+storage+container&bmSubmit=quick_search&quick_search=Search&bmHidden=FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077)

Link (http://walmart.ca/Canada-HouseWares.jsp?selection=listingDetails&page=fth&assetId=52240&imageId=72869&departmentId=18&categoryId=1574&tabId=6)