PDA

View Full Version : CPS careers?

asp integra
02-01-2010, 03:44 PM
hey guys, i have always considered being a police officer and now that im done uni im seriously considering getting the application process rolling. looks to be a pretty promising career with lots of different paths to take within the organization. just wondering if anyone on here has done the recruitment process recently and what they think about the work they are doing and if they enjoy it or not. thanks in advance!

Rstar
02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Why not RCMP?

Mibz
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
What did you take in Uni?

revelations
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
One of these days I will get off my ass and go through the whole process... they change the standards all the time.

For eg. the PARE test has been dropped/modified, its much harder now from what I hear.

Van Persie
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I went through the process last year, you fill out a bunch of paperwork, get your eyes checked, write two easy easy exams, then go in for your first interview with your recruiting officer.

That's as far as I got before I was deferred for two years.

Cos
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by revelations

For eg. the PARE test has been dropped/modified, its much harder now from what I hear.

yeah I heard that too, my cousin is waiting for her visa to come through before she can go into basic and she was told she will have to run the new PARE again. :(

kaput
02-01-2010, 06:27 PM

revelations
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
New PARE is called the A-PREP.

http://calgarypolicenews.typepad.com/files/alberta---fit-to-serve.pdf

revelations
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm no recruiting expert, but I have seen about 6 people deferred by the RCMP and CPS.

Examples - not enough community volunteering, not enough "life experience", credit score sucked, was in the same room with pot smokers a few times, maturity, too many traffic violations (like dozens).

swak
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I got deferred for 3 yrs for having a history of smoking weed in my youth.
Just gotta be clean, and crime free (includes people you hang around with), and you'll have no problems.

sabad66
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't you just "lie" about smoking weed? Unless they polygraph you I can't see how they would know otherwise.

Not that I am condoning lying, I just don't really feel that smoking a doobie with some friends in HS should stop you from being a cop.

swak
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't you just "lie" about smoking weed? Unless they polygraph you I can't see how they would know otherwise.

Not that I am condoning lying, I just don't really feel that smoking a doobie with some friends in HS should stop you from being a cop.

No, youre right, it shouldnt stop you... But you need to be clean 3+ years before you can officially be accepted into training.
I was about 1yr clean, and got the full 3yrs deferral.

And yes they polygraph you, if you lie on the polygraph and get caught, you can never apply again for life.
Its in your best interest to tell the truth.

scat19
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Swak, maybe you can do a "snowboard patrol".

You know, make sure everything's "aight"

swak
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by scat19
Swak, maybe you can do a "snowboard patrol".

You know, make sure everything's "aight"

you're a funny guy.

But on a serious note, there is 'ski patrollers'
that shred the mountains and make sure noones dead/stranded somewhere.

Thatd be pretty rad... But at the same time probably doesnt pay anything near being a municipal cop or rcmp, etc...

TomcoPDR
02-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Why not just start by being a mall cop first?

tacsniper
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
you DO NOT need to be in security/military/law enforcement agency to get into policing. You are expected to demonstrate general competencies that you experienced in any kind of work.

Also before you apply make sure you are clear from detected or UNDETECTED crime for the past 3 years

If you are serious, I would suggest you to start volunteering if you haven't been doing it

asp integra
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
i guess me enjoying weed would not go over well for being a cop, on to the next career

cloud7
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought they were deferring everyone because they are putting the hiring on hold right now.

revelations
02-12-2010, 05:04 PM
^ from what I've read on blueline, they are only carrying 2 classes this year.

tacsniper
02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
^ thats what I've been hearing from friends in recruit training right now as well. Only 2 classes has bee scheduled for this year at this time...

Cos
02-13-2010, 09:45 AM
My cousin (same one I mentioned before) has to go back to england for a while because they arent running as many recruit classes so her visa doesnt kick in until a few weeks before the class. So you had to already be accepted to get into the classes this year I think.

dezmarez
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

considering becoming a cop?

jaysas_63
02-13-2010, 08:17 PM
wow im pretty surprised to read its actually difficult to become a cop?!!? i allays assumed they would take anybody that had some sort of post secondary education, and was in good health (mental, physical, Vision, and drug fee)

Spoons
02-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
wow im pretty surprised to read its actually difficult to become a cop?!!? i allays assumed they would take anybody that had some sort of post secondary education, and was in good health (mental, physical, Vision, and drug fee)

But there doesn't seem to be a stupid test. Yeah people can study hard and do well on exams and what not, but common sense and street smarts, well? I seem to see a lot of idiots behind a badge these days.

revelations
02-14-2010, 12:10 AM
From what has been posted on blueline, some of the people who became cops the last few years.... :facepalm:

Apparently one example had never seen a gym in his life....he passed the physicals.

cancer man
02-14-2010, 09:11 AM
You also need a lobotomy after you pass and graduate.
That means you become a cnut.

Van Persie
02-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I applied last year, aced both exams, the recruiting officer told me that I was in the top one percent of people that take the test. I am young, in good shape and have no criminal history at all.

I was deferred for two years because I told him that my girlfriend enjoyed the occasional puff, like once every six months.

Canucks3322
02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
^ Weed is still illegal in Canada, they can't hire you if your girlfriend is doing something illegal :facepalm:

Van Persie
02-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
^ Weed is still illegal in Canada, they can't hire you if your girlfriend is doing something illegal :facepalm:

I'm well aware of the law, and I wasn't complaining in any way.

swak
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
If you score outstanding or just bare minimum on the written it doesnt matter.

All they care about is a pass.
... but good on you for having a high grade.

When i went for my written, before the exam the supervisor asked if there was any questions, one older guy put up his hand..
Older guy "Yea, do you guys do drug testing"
Supervisor (looking stunned) "Uhhh... Yeah."
Guy "Oh..."

I dont know if it was a cheap bet by a friend of his or what, but everyone in the room got a good laugh out of it.

Van Persie
02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, there's no way he got that far without knowing that they drug test you. Even more important is the lie detector test at the end of the recruiting process. When I went in for my interview, I was 100% honest because I knew there was no point in lying.

I was deferred because my girlfriend smokes the odd time, not me. I've never tried weed and I've never had a single alcoholic drink in my life either.

swak
02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, wait out the 2 years if you really want it, im sure they'll see the dedication.

But i got deferred because of smoking weed.
They aren't looking for angels 'per-say' either, the guy going over my application said it all looked great, except for the recent use of weed.

In jan. it will have been 3 years, and i'll back in the application process.

Good luck man.

broken_legs
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Just curious what the pay is like for different positions, and how promotions and pay increases are dolled out.

For some reason I thought police were always under payed (TV Stereotypes maybe?) around the 50k/year mark. But I've heard otherwise that it's actually a pretty good paying job in 6 figures + area.

swak
02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Just curious what the pay is like for different positions, and how promotions and pay increases are dolled out.

For some reason I thought police were always under payed (TV Stereotypes maybe?) around the 50k/year mark. But I've heard otherwise that it's actually a pretty good paying job in 6 figures + area.

I believe top salary is around 75k range.
But with OT they can get into the 6 figures (apparently a lot of overtime in Police work)

kaput
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM

CUG
02-15-2010, 07:03 AM
I know a cop who made over 100k last year, has been on with the police for 5 years.

asp integra
02-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

one guy i know has been a policeman for 4 or 5 years now and he told me last year he made 120k

quazimoto
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
It's not really over time, it's the court and stat holiday hours that push them much higher.

They get something like 3 times normal pay for court hours and stat holidays. If I remember correctly they also get paid for a minimum number of hours when required to attend court on an off day even though they may only be required to be there 30 minutes.

Why do you think ex-stampeder Will Johnson found his way to working for Traffic Enforcment. Many traffic cops easily clear 100k or more a year.

jaysas_63
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
It's not really over time, it's the court and stat holiday hours that push them much higher.

They get something like 3 times normal pay for court hours and stat holidays. If I remember correctly they also get paid for a minimum number of hours when required to attend court on an off day even though they may only be required to be there 30 minutes.

Why do you think ex-stampeder Will Johnson found his way to working for Traffic Enforcment. Many traffic cops easily clear 100k or more a year.

i'd be surprised if the average mcdiks employee clears less than a CFL player :rofl: