PDA

View Full Version : union vs non union weld shops?

nonofyobiz
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
So is it better to work in a union shop? anyone here work in one before? What's it like?

Van Persie
02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
There's no such thing as a welder's union in Alberta.

You might get work out of the boilermaker's hall, but definitely not the electrician's here in Calgary at least.

Shop work? No such thing as a union welder in Alberta.

On site work? Not in Calgary, only in Fort Saskatchewan or Fort McMurray, and only if you have your CWB.

old&slow
02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Shop life is determined by the people who run them!
Some are slave drivers and some are more relaxed and relate to the guys.
As for Unionized ,I've heard Maloney's is not so bad!

syritis
02-01-2010, 06:07 PM
I worked for maloney's parent company, foremost.
it's a union shop. there are some good people there, but most is just drama queen's that do little else then stir up shit to complain about. if your attendance is good your guaranteed promotions but it takes a loooong ass time.

If you like to bust your ass all day i would recommend that you find a respectable non-union shop. old&slow is right about the owners/foremen, some can be dicks some are great to work with. it just takes some time to find your place.

HuMz
02-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Van Persie

You might get work out of the boilermaker's hall, but definitely not the electrician's here in Calgary at least.

On site work? Not in Calgary, only in Fort Saskatchewan or Fort McMurray, and only if you have your CWB.

Theres a few union shops around town my buddy did his whole apprenticeship through one. Its similar to the electrical one in that its time and a half after 40, then double time after 50, and yes it was out of the boilermakers hall.

Honda EXR
02-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Van Persie

There's a few unions that look for welders. Union 725 is the ironworkers union. They have union welders.Pay is way better in the union plus killer benefits and a bit of job security. Not alot of work right now but there will be in 3-4 months. Check out the websites for union halls 725, 488 and 496.

Lots of sitework around. If there's steel or piping, there's welding.