PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Intrepid and remote starter

Evil_KITT
02-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey there,

we just recently purchased a 1999 Dodge Intrepid. The previous owner had installed a remote start system. It has been working fine, but today, it won't start. The remote is a CS-555 but I am not sure what the unit is. I have looked under the driver's side of the dash but do not see anything pertaining to a remote start system. I have read some of these forums and tried a few ideas, but thus far nothing has worked. When I hit button 1 to start the car, the remote beeps but nothing happens. Button II still unlocks/locks the doors. When the car is running and I push button I, I hear the doors making a locking/unlocking sound but nothing happens, and when I remove the key the car shuts off (in the paast it has stayed running). When I press both buttons the lights on the car flash 10 times.

Can anyone help me....where would the unit be situated in the car, would there be a separate fuse for the starter? does it just need re-programming?

Thanks in advance.

Strugari
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
There are usually 2 fuses that have power to the Command Start unit.
When you press button II get under the dash and follow the "clicking sound" to find the unit.

If the fuses are OK check the ground wire.

When locking and unlocking the doors via remote, does the unit make a "buzzing sound"
If so, one fuse may be burnt.

Also check the connections to the ignition. Some installers used "scothlock" connectors that failed after time.

Evil_KITT
02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Strugari,

Thanks for the quick reply....I crawled under the dash and found kind of an oval shaped black box with a mass of wires coming of it...there is no visible name on it it. The box is mounted just left of the steering column under the dash.

Where are the fuses for the unit?, I checked the fuse box on the left side of the dash...but did not notice anything other than the factory ones.

There was just a clicking sound when I hit button number II

I checked what wires I could see and nothing looked disconnected or wore or cut.

Again...I can hold both buttons down and get 10 light flashes from park lights...does that do anything?

Also, if I need to replace the unit, will all the wiring have to be replaced...and what is a good replacement unit?

Thanks again

Strugari
02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
10 flashes is the trunk release, which sounds like it is not hooked up.

As for the no start:
Check for the on/off switch under the dash to make sure it is on. Check to make sure both wires on the back of the switch are still hooked up.
Check the hood switch under the hood to make sure it is not broken or bent.
Unplug it and try the remote starter.

The unit sounds like it is a 250, or 290i. Command Start.

Evil_KITT
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Strugari,

I checked the switch under the hood...it appears to be in good shape, and still no start.

Where is the on/off switch located?

Evil_KITT
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok....for starters I found the manual, it is a CS200 series (likely CS240 or CS250), not the 260 cause there is no L.E.D. on the dash (does that sound right?).

Someone also mentioned a "valet" switch...what is that? and where would it be located?

And I still can not find an "On/off" switch...again, where would that be?

Strugari
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
The on/off switch is under the drivers dash somewhere. Also check behind the fuse cover in the left side of the dash, sometimes they mount the switches there.

Evil_KITT
02-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks,

I will take a look