PDA

View Full Version : Telus PVR Anywhere

snoop101
02-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Has anyone used this new Telus service? er hardware. So you have one HDPVR and HD box in every other room. Does it use 802.11 to transmit?

cet
02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
It looks pretty good. I tried to get them to upgrade me yesterday but it's not avaliable in my area yet. :thumbsdow

Strider
02-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Pretty sure it only works over cat5 or coax...

Bushy
02-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Work the same as the previous service, wired thru cat5e or RG6 coax, but new boxes with Microsoft Media Room. It has faster channel changing, whole home pvr, and fixes previous picture issues by switching to MPEG4. You can have up to 6 tv's with 2 HD streams on the basic package, but can only watch 3 streams at a time. Or watch one and record 2. And now you are not limited to 3meg for internet, if you turn off all the tvs you get 10meg to your computer.I havnt installed one yet, but saw it in training. I think it looks pretty slick

darkkent
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
a friend of mine had this installed last week and he loves it. 4 tv's hooked up, 2 of which are HD. going to check it out this weekend.

cdnsir
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Bushy
Work the same as the previous service, wired thru cat5e or RG6 coax, but new boxes with Microsoft Media Room. It has faster channel changing, whole home pvr, and fixes previous picture issues by switching to MPEG4. You can have up to 6 tv's with 2 HD streams on the basic package, but can only watch 3 streams at a time. Or watch one and record 2. And now you are not limited to 3meg for internet, if you turn off all the tvs you get 10meg to your computer.I havnt installed one yet, but saw it in training. I think it looks pretty slick

That PVR streaming does sounds like an awesome feature! With MS Mediaroom running it, I won't be surprised if it lets you access the pvr from a smartphone or your xbox! Now that would be freaking cool!!!

The rest is though, is what their TV should had been all along. It was pretty retarded not to be able to watch and tape 2 different shows! I'm happy that they stepped up and upgraded everything. Puts them right back into the same league as Shaw. If you put them side by side, Telus's looks to have an edge now. I wonder what Shaw is going to do about this, their box suddenly became a bit archaic.

EDIT: For those who don't know what Mediaroom is.
http://www.microsoft.com/mediaroom/

Hash_man
02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Hoping they offer this in my area soon so we can get the new boxes... I think our PVR is fucked anyways, so probably should be getting a new replacement soon.