PDA

View Full Version : Finding a job as a New Graduate

PepsiCola
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone is having difficulty finding a job in their relevent dicipline as a new graduate.

I just graduated from the UofC with a Economics degree in November on 09' and I am currently enrolled in the CMA fast track program. I write my entrance exam in June 2010.

However i'm not getting any breaks in terms of getting a job as a Jr. Analyst or even Jr. Accountant or anything of that sort. All the calls I get are for AR clerk and AP Clerk. Those are very very very junior accounting roles and its getting a little frusterating as CMA has a strict work practicum report.

Anyone else facing difficulties as this?

Anyone know of companies hiring New graduates for a graduate trainee program?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Stubby
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Just got to keep on chugging away, as a junior it's especially hard.

Luckily you graduated in november, you still have some time left before the market gets flooded with new grads in april/may. Its going to be brutal for those looking for a job in their desired field.

As for getting a job, do the old school way and hand your resume in by hand and get to know as many people as you can. You pretty much need to have someone that is already in the assorted discipline find you a job, the more contacts the better.

my $0.02, don't stress out about it too much, everyone is in the same boat you're in. Put your time in and eventually something will happen, it is slowly turning around.

9hoho9
02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
yeah, its super hard, especially right now. but like they tell you (or don't tell you?) in school, 80% of the jobs out there are not advertised.

You can hand in as many resume's as you want, etc... but as I've found out, the best, best way to get a job is to network, as Stubby here said. Of all the jobs I've ever had, only 1 I got through handing in my resume 'cold'.

The analyst job, even though its a junior role, I got because of my network. So here is my 2 cents:

- all the friends you know from school? Ask them for jobs.

- all the friends/acquantainces you don't talk to anymore? Talk to them, catch up, ask them for jobs.

- parents friends, profs, friend's older siblings? Ask them for jobs.

- make a new network. I know how stupid it feels to accept a job as an AP clerk or whatever, but consider accepting an AP clerk job at the biggest company you can find, and make new networks there. It will become plainly obvious after a few months in a clerk role that you are both overqualified, and have the ambition to go somewhere. As long as you were a nice person, SOMEONE will try to help you out. If not, at least you tried. I know accounting majors doing their CMA who are doing AP/AR type bitch work, but at least they are expanding their network. Churn in those roles are high, so if you worked there then quit I doubt anyone will bat an eye.

And when I say 'ask for jobs', I really mean ask someone for their advice. Hear them out. Ask them if they know of any opportunities. Ask them where to look for opportunities. Ask them who else you can talk to. Ask if you can give them your resume. Give them your info, ask for their info, and get in touch with people in your network and keep asking them every few months for opportunities.

I know it sounds easy, but its a numbers game - ask enough people, or get to know enough people, and someone will refer you a real job.

Idratherbsidewayz
02-04-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm currently trying to get a job as a junior engineer going through any resource I can find. Graduated from McMaster in November with a Material's Engineering degree.

It's tough, and super frustrating. I just want to work!! Hopefully something will come up soon...

:banghead: :banghead:

sCream
02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
CMA Corporate Career Connections event is on the 11th of this month in Calgary. Its pretty much a career fair for CMA's and CMA students. Definitely hit that up

PepsiCola
02-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies really helpfull..I registered for the CMA career fair as well. if it weren't for the post would have never known.

Also, i got an interview call for an Oil and gas company for a Jr. Accountant position.
What should i take with me to make my position seem stronger?
This is what i was going to take to begin with:-
-Copy of updated resume
-Copy of my grades from Module 1 & 2 CMA AP program. My average is 77%
-Reference letter from my accounting professor who coincidentally is my CMA AP professor.

what else should i take that would benefit me?

el_fefes
02-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm in your same boat. Econ grad Nov '09... tough times man. I've applied to a lot of positions and so far I've had 1 interview and I got that because I changed my approach to applying.

Besides just applying online I also looked up an HR/Recruiter person using google (A Linked.in hit usually came up) I would then call the company and ask for that person. I would then ask them for more info about the position and state my interest in it. It kinda sucks cuz you are basically cold calling them. So far most people have been helpful tho.

Doing this puts you ahead of the herd. :thumbsup:

BTW how did the interview go?

Nigel Mansell
02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Forget about mentioning your 77% average. I know this is going to be hard to hear, but nobody cares about your grades unless you're a genius.

PepsiCola
02-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I got the job i interviewed for... Its in an oil and gas company as a Financial accountant. It was really depressing for a while but finally there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone know what an average salary for a New Grad is for accounting?

:thumbsup:

tenth
03-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Accounting firm - ~$41k

May have changed a bit, but typically industry was 20-40% higher.