PDA

View Full Version : Mwd

quik96
02-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm looking to try something new. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and I have spent the last 3 years as a field engineer for Frac and currently Open Hole Wireline.

I think I'd like to get a job in MWD then move into Directional Drilling eventually, but I don't know a lot about landing a job in either.

Anyone here work in MWD? Which companies should I apply to, which should I avoid? Pay range? I've sent out a few resumes but haven't heard anything back. Would starting out with Schlum then moving on to a smaller company be a good move?

I've read the previous threads on the issue but they're all pretty old.

Is there any other positions I should consider instead?

Thanks for any info

quik96
02-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Nobody in MWD anymore?

broken_legs
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Avoid Schlumberger like the plague. They pay like shit roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of everyone else, fuck you over, take your vacation days away, always make "mistakes" and pay you less, the paperwork is never ending and always changing and getting more complicated. you have to run 2-3 computers to do what is done simply on one at any other directional company. you will drown in standards, procedures, and policies. You will never do any of the cool stuff Schlum does in the rest of the world because Canada is a shite market, and you will never get that transfer out like your recruiter led you to believe. If you want to join a freaking cult with a bunch of other people who SLB is their very first job (not even mcdonalds.. seriously) and get brainwashed, lose all your friends, have no life, miss all important dates (weddings, funerals, birthdays), and learn lots of proprietary BS that wont help you anywhere else then maybe this is for you.

If you want to make money, go work for a normal company.
I hear Scientific is busy.
I hear Weatherford is busy.
I hear Baker is busy.
I hear Sperry is busy.
I hear Phoenix is busy.

Don't forget all the smaller outfits
Extreme - (now Schlumberger)
Pacesetter
Atlantis
there are others...

You'll make more consulting than you will working staff likely.

ExtraSlow
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Could be a tough time to get into this, rig counts are low. Rig counts are expected to stay low for the near term too. Aside from concentrated work in Horn River and Bakken, it's going to be pretty quiet.

I'm on the Drilling Engineering side, so no insight into the MWD.