PDA

View Full Version : Shower Faucet... Is this normal?

Czar
02-04-2010, 12:45 PM
There's a large gap between the handle (base) and the trim plate. In the previous houses I lived in, the gap was only about a finger's width, not like this.

The plumber refuses to correct this, since he thinks it's ok.

Does anyone else have a faucet like this?

XtraX
02-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Mine is kinda like that, but it's my fault. it has to do with the positioning of the valve in the wall. It would be a major pain to fix. You'd have to pull it all apart re plumb so that the valve is set back further into the wall. Really not worth it in my opinion since I did the work. But if I paid for it I wouldn't be happy. Maybe try to get some money back, because it's fully functional, just not pretty.

gram
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
That is not right at all, in fact it can now leak in behind there and can cause mold. Tell the plumber to get off his lazy ass and fix it.

They did not install the water mixing valve correctly behind the shower, it is way too forward(towards the shower stall or lining)instead of being further away from the wall.

mr2mike
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Just saw a DIY reno show on HGTV about this. The guy had it recessed in as he didn't do the tile job right. Water got behind it and mold set in.
Not the same as you but I would make sure it's sealed or you'll face mold, like others said.

Depends what you paid for to have this done. If you went el cheapo, DIY guy, don't expect a correction as you tend to get what you pay for.

Czar
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Actually it's a brand new house. The builder (who's been really good) is trying to get the trade back, but the trade doesn't want to fix this.

Problem is that if I get my own plumber to fix this it (according to the plumber) I may void the 1 year warranty they provide.

I also called Moen today, and although they said it looks bad, they dont think it's installed incorrectly (They specify minimum distances to the wall, not max).

Hopefully the builder resolves this quickly..

scat19
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Doesn't look right to me.

C_Dave45
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
It's definitely not installed properly but only in a cosmetic way. The water is still sealed behind the escutcheon plate and the extension cylinder. There's no sealing required between your handle and the plate. So there will be no problem with mold etc. BUT...I would never accept that. Looks like shite. I would try like hell to get it fixed. Yes that requires moving the whole valve (removing tile, re-plumbing etc.). Good luck.

beyond_ban
02-04-2010, 04:24 PM
You would not have had this problem if you had used a Super Grif or Roca faucet. Moen is garbage alone, much less in the hands of an incompetent plumber.

Czar
02-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Is there anyone here that's like a master plumber that would be willing to write me a letter about this (even if a fee is involved)?

I need something to take to the builder/trade.

If they did something like this (and think it's ok), I'm kinda worried about the rest of my plumbing now :(

turbotrip
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
which builder is this? just so i know to avoid them in the future

TomcoPDR
02-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Czar
Actually it's a brand new house. The builder (who's been really good) is trying to get the trade back, but the trade doesn't want to fix this.

Originally posted by turbotrip
which builder is this? just so i know to avoid them in the future

Sounds more to me like a lowlife fly-by-night trade's person/business/operator more than the builder... The builder (customer) still has to give the trade (tech) some time to respond to fix the problem you know... Then from there, hopefully the builder will avoid using that hack/irresponsible of a tradesperson/company, and write a review about them on Beyond.

Yes, that looks bad for being a new house. The trades person, you'd think is use to doing them in repeatition.

Czar
02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Tom is right. The builder has been excellent. I can't say the same for the trade company though.

Surprisingly the plumbing company is quite large and do the plumbing for alot of builders (Cardel, Elite, Greenboro, etc).

C_Dave45
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Surprisingly the plumbing company is quite large and do the plumbing for alot of builders
That's part of the problem. 80 different installers, some journeymen, some 1st year apprentices and mistakes like this happen. I work with Canyon Plumbing a lot and see stuff like this frequently. A smaller company like Almy, and they have a little more "QC".
Seeing that pic on my big monitor I see it's a fiberglass surround, not tile. What's on the other side of the wall? If it's just painted drywall, that wouldn't be too hard to fix. (From the plumbers perspective) cut out drywall, move the valve assembly back about an inch and re-drywall and paint. If he's used PEX and not copper that would be no more than an hours job. I would really stress with the builder you're not happy at all with the cosmetics of the job. Don't "ask" him if he can fix it...just say "that's not acceptable".

JAYMEZ
02-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Doesnt look right at all!! Get it fixed

quazimoto
02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Does it have a set screw or something keeping it on? I would just check that. I know the one I just installed in my mother's house sticks out but it looks that it should be flush. I mean ours does stick out but it is mean to stick out since the set screw doesn't go flush into the wall. It all really depends on the design.

Just look for the set screw, take it off and look at the design. It looks odd to me though since it doesn't look to be a set screw design.

C_Dave45
02-07-2010, 02:13 PM
This is how that set should look:

http://www.moen.com/shared/images/ko_webpreview/t2133bn.jpg

The whole valve assembly needs to be moved further away from the inside of the wall. Here's the dimensions specs:

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/t2133sp.pdf

And here's an exploded view of the parts:

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/t2133pt.pdf

Czar
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Finally got the plumber and the builder to come take alook.

Apparently since this is the way that it looks in the showhome, the builder won't correct this. I'm quite disappointed in the builder, but I can see his point. :(

I have a couple of quotes to get this fixed, but just wondering if you guys know of anyone that could do it quickly and with good -- anyone but deerbridge plumbing. There is access from behind (through the drywall though). I can do the drywall repair afterwards.

Thanks!

Oh.. and I guess I need this done on both my showers..

JustinGTP
03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
That's ridiculous that they won't fix it. What is this world coming to? So many people who don't know how to do things properly anymore.

We need more Mike Holmes in this world.

barmanjay
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JustinGTP

We need more Mike Holmes in this world.

If that were the case,.. he would tear out the whole bathroom then decide the house was unfit and build a whole new one,.. LOL

masoncgy
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Wow... so because their showhome tub faucet looks like shit, yours should too?

Incredible. Who is the builder anyway?