PDA

View Full Version : Toyota dealership garages in Calgary...

cars777
02-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi.
I'm a reporter with CBC news and I'm looking for a person who can't get regular service like oil changes, reg. maintenance at their Toyota dealership garage because they're too packed due to the foot pedal recall.
If you...or you know someone who's experiencing this, please shoot me an email.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!

Tomaz
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
There is a story to this? I thought it would have been expected seeing millions of vehicles have been recalled.:dunno:

FraserB
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
No, the story is gong to bash Toyota for not getting an oil change or reg maintenance done in regular time because of the recall. They'll say that a poorly designed product is damaging Toyota's reputation and resulting is crap customer service.

Also, I'm sure that the dealers are splitting the time to minimize the customer impact so that regular maintenance does get done as well as the recall stuff.

Why not call Henninger and ask them to go on camera with you?

lamp_shade_2000
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Its amazing the crap that makes it on the news these days.

crapstixs
02-04-2010, 08:59 PM
it only like .3 of a hour to fix apperently. considering its a warranty repair it would actually take .3. stuff one or two techs doing them all day and the shop would run as normal.
to the op, the media really pisses me off. do you know how many recalls gm, ford, and chrysler have and how many people those vehiacals kill. toyota makes boring but very reliable good qualitly cars.

TYMSMNY
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by cars777
Hi.
I'm a reporter with CBC news and I'm looking for a person who can't get regular service like oil changes, reg. maintenance at their Toyota dealership garage because they're too packed due to the foot pedal recall.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!

I just went in for an oil change and bam... didn't even wait long in their lounge. Had a latte + danish to go with my newspaper. :D

Seriously though... I don't think they'll jeapordize regular service for a warranty fix. Most dealerships have hired more techs or put some on overtime to get it fixed.

Kavy
02-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!

Terrible reporting.

If you want to report on something report on the raise in university costs, that actually effects our future.

In your report make sure to mention where these defective cars where made and what manufacturer made the part.

I enjoy my Toyota and the fact it has been trouble free since I purchased it. As a matter of fact they replaced 2 tires for free when i ran over barbwire.

Maybe do a report on Eastside dodge? And how people have to fight to get warranty work done there

Oh wait that would look bad on NA manufactures right? I mean no one has ever died because of a faulty NA vehicle.............

How many have died or been in accidents because of the pedal issue?

TYMSMNY
02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
^ and don't forget to add that Ford uses the same supplier for those pedals...

Kavy
02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
^ and don't forget to add that Ford uses the same supplier for those pedals...

who also provided Pontiac and GM with the same part. Media swing on this issue makes me sick.

rage2
02-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Yaris just went into the dealership for scheduled maintenance yesterday, no wait.

shutterbug_art8
02-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

who also provided Pontiac and GM with the same part. Media swing on this issue makes me sick.

Don't fu*king scare me, man. I own a 2008 Pontiac...which is in the shop more times than I can count.
Once the fu*king fuel line bursted and pissing fuel everywhere. Left me stranded in -40 weather. I coulda died in a fire...fu*king piece of shit! :banghead:

Kavy
02-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by shutterbug_art8

Don't fu*king scare me, man. I own a 2008 Pontiac...which is in the shop more times than I can count.
Once the fu*king fuel line bursted and pissing fuel everywhere. Left me stranded in -40 weather. I coulda died in a fire...fu*king piece of shit! :banghead:

It is scary how the media is twisting this when they need to look at the home grown issues.

Its funny how many lemons GM can get away with.

crapstixs
02-04-2010, 09:51 PM

hold on, gm says my the best car win. ide rather have a sticking gas peddel than die in a fire

yipb
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM

seems like OP has a story to tell now :)

shutterbug_art8
02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

It is scary how the media is twisting this when they need to look at the home grown issues.

Its funny how many lemons GM can get away with.

You want to talk about lemons? I have my '08 Montana van for 2 yrs now and it currently has 42k km. This is my experience with it so far:

1. power sliding door stopped working (at 1 month ownership)
2. fuel line bursted (at 5 months and 10k km I think).
3. no heat when not in motion
4. blower fan make clunking noise when startup in the morning
5. signal bulb burn out twice so far
6. occasionally doesn't want to start. Needed a boost.
7. DVD player audio stopped working, have to use headphones.
8. brakes squeaks early on
9. CEL come and go.
10. replaced batteries in key FOB twice now.
11. was leaking coolant (return hose)
12. It's making a whumping noise, like wheel bearing.
13. the low tire monitor keep displaying that symbol though we have the correct psi.
14. Auto starter is flaky.

That's all i can think of now.

We don't abuse or drive it aggressively, yet we don't ever see the 8.5 liter/100km (HW) as advertised. It's more like 14L/100km (city) and 12L/100km (HW).

muse017
02-04-2010, 11:38 PM

You want to talk about lemons? I have my '08 Montana van for 2 yrs now and it currently has 42k km. This is my experience with it so far:

1. power sliding door stopped working (at 1 month ownership)
2. fuel line bursted (at 5 months and 10k km I think).
3. no heat when not in motion
4. blower fan make clunking noise when startup in the morning
5. signal bulb burn out twice so far
6. occasionally doesn't want to start. Needed a boost.
7. DVD player audio stopped working, have to use headphones.
8. brakes squeaks early on
9. CEL come and go.
10. replaced batteries in key FOB twice now.
11. was leaking coolant (return hose)
12. It's making a whumping noise, like wheel bearing.
13. the low tire monitor keep displaying that symbol though we have the correct psi.
14. Auto starter is flaky.

That's all i can think of now.

We don't abuse or drive it aggressively, yet we don't ever see the 8.5 liter/100km (HW) as advertised. It's more like 14L/100km (city) and 12L/100km (HW).

Sounds a lot better than my old VW Jetta:banghead: :banghead:

shutterbug_art8
02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
15. flaky fuel gauge....tells me I have 1/4 tank full and the computer even says I have about 150k km left. next morning, the light is on and it won't start. happens twice so far. Now I just fill it when it's 1/2 full.

*** at first I thought someone was stealing my gas ***

Edit: since this thread is about Toyota. I must add that my wife trust our very reliable and dependable 1995 Camry with high mileage more than the 2008 GM van.

Edit II: I must also state that I own other GM vehicles in the past and they were quite reliable. So I'll say my particular van is..ahem..unique.

msommers
02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!

Report something that actually matters in this world. Stray away from the pathetic norm of the media.

black13
02-05-2010, 12:04 AM
It seriously seems to me CBC has a major thing against Toyota. Yea ok big recall happened even though it affected very few and Toyota admitted to the problem themselves.

But listening to CBC radio news, EVERY half hour you guys are reporting this like top story for the past week. And it sounds very biased reporting. What happened to fair and balanced reporting?

Really shows how the news has nothing better to do they just keep on hammering the same story over and over again.

Shlade
02-05-2010, 03:20 AM
haha shutterbug...

Why do you think there are no more pontiacs being made?

Sucks about your ride tho... Thats some crappy ass problems..

heavyD
02-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by black13
It seriously seems to me CBC has a major thing against Toyota. Yea ok big recall happened even though it affected very few and Toyota admitted to the problem themselves.

But listening to CBC radio news, EVERY half hour you guys are reporting this like top story for the past week. And it sounds very biased reporting. What happened to fair and balanced reporting?

Really shows how the news has nothing better to do they just keep on hammering the same story over and over again.

You guys have to understand that it's not personal vendetta. It's news and news sells. This news will be overblown much like the H1N1 virus (and how many of you sheep bought into that and got vaccinated?) but panic sells and thats the business news is in. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer or any bias. There is some panic amongst the thousands of people that own these cars and of course the news is going to feed off that and overblow it. This reporter is only doing his/her job what they were told to report.

You guys all sound like a bunch of whiny, hypocrite, fanboys. :cry: You are all the same people that would be spitefully bashing GM if they were having this problem and you know it so STFU and quit acting like this issue isn't big news because whether you like it or not it is.

dooman24
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM
why are you bashing toyota?

i work for a toyota dealership and we're doing anything we can.

some techs are staying late to roll in as many recalls as they can after their shifts and we're doing all other services at the same time.

maybe some one should do a report on reporters trying to bash people.

Hi.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!

Pacman
02-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by black13

I can't even watch CBC news anymore, due to all the silly, cute news stories they air before REAL national/international news. CBC is a total joke......and the other stations are just a bad.

urban.one
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow... lots of defenders of Toyota. This IS huge news. The best selling car company in the world has problems that with most of its vehicles. Even the CEO is apologizing publicly. Anyone remember when the Ford Explorer has tires that would blow and cause roll overs? That was huge news. This dwarfs that if you look at the number of vehicles involved. This has also been a known problem for quite a while so thats gonna make it even worse in terms of public image.

Toyota chief apologizes
Toyota president Akio Toyoda
Akio Toyoda stops short of announcing Prius recall; sets up committee to raise quality control

Tokyo — The Associated Press
Published on Friday, Feb. 05, 2010 6:33AM EST

Last updated on Friday, Feb. 05, 2010 10:20AM EST

Toyota's president apologized Friday for the massive global recalls over sticking gas pedals as the auto maker scrambles to repair a damaged reputation and sliding sales.

But Akio Toyoda, appointed to the top job at Toyota Motor Corp. (TM-N72.660.881.22%) last June, said the company is still deciding what steps to take to fix brake problems in the popular Prius gas-electric hybrid.

Speaking at a hastily announced news conference that lasted an hour, a stern-looking Mr. Toyoda promised to beef up quality control.

“We are facing a crisis,” he said, publicly confronting the automaker's safety problems for the first time since the global recalls were announced Jan. 21.

He said the company is setting up a special committee he would head himself.

It would review internal checks, go over consumer complaints and listen to outside experts to come up with a solution to the widening quality problems.

“I offer my apologies for the worries,” he said. “Many customers are wondering whether their cars are OK.”

Mr. Toyoda, grandson of the auto maker's founder, said the company was moving quickly on the global recalls covering 4.5 million vehicles for sticking gas pedals, about half of them in the U.S.

Dealers are scrambling to make repairs on the gas pedals, which need a new steel part to solve the sticking problem.

Toyota would fully co-operate with the investigation by U.S. federal authorities into Prius problems, Mr. Toyoda said.

There have been nearly 200 complaints in Japan and the U.S. of drivers experiencing a short delay before the brakes kick in – a problem that can be fixed with a software programming change.

The auto maker has fixed the programming glitch in Prius models that went on sale since last month, but has done nothing yet on 270,000 Prius cars sold last year in Japan and the U.S. The remodelled third-generation Prius went on sale in May last year.

A less-than-perfect Prius, the vehicle of choice for Hollywood movie stars like Leonardo Dicaprio, threatens to be an even more serious blow for Toyota's image than the gas pedal recalls. The hybrid is a symbol of Toyota's technological prowess and ambitions to lead the auto industry in green, low-pollution cars.

Toyota is also investigating possible brake problems with its luxury Lexus hybrid and the Sai compact sedan, both of which use the same brake system as the Prius. Toyota has not received any complaints about the Lexus HS250h and the probe is to ensure safety, it has said. The Sai is not sold outside Japan.

Mr. Toyoda, 53, has been criticized for not coming out sooner to answer questions about the flood of quality problems that have hit Toyota.

Masaaki Sato, an auto industry expert who has written books on Toyota and its Japanese rival Honda, said Friday's public appearance was the company's last chance to keep the situation from worsening.

“He should have come out a week ago,” Mr. Sato said of Mr. Toyoda during an appearance on a popular late night news program following the press conference. “After all the foot dragging, he was pushed into a corner.”

Mr. Sato also criticized Mr. Toyoda for having to be prodded into action in the U.S. by Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who called the Toyota president for talks.

“The issue is a huge problem in the U.S., far more serious than you might think,” Mr. Sato said. “Those who are driving Toyota cars must be worried, and as Toyota CEO he has a responsibility to address their concerns and provide an explanation to the U.S. government.”

Shinichi Sasaki, executive vice-president overseeing quality control, told the news conference he was grateful that Mr. LaHood had pressed Toyota to go ahead quickly with the gas pedal recalls in the U.S.

Toyota did not have a fix for the problem at the time, and it is relatively unusual to announce a recall without a plan for a remedy. Toyota did not come out with a fix for more than a week, further frustrating customers. It also suspended sales and production on eight models in the U.S.

“It would have become even harder to win back the trust of customers, and the damage to the Toyota brand would have been greater,” Mr. Sasaki said solemnly. “It was hard but in hindsight I am grateful to Mr. LaHood.”

U.S. officials have blessed Toyota's solution to the gas pedal problem, a small piece of steel designed to eliminate excess friction in the pedal mechanism, but have criticized Toyota for being too slow in responding to customer complaints.

HondaKid
02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!

CBC start addressing the real issue, that of making us watch the Leafs over and over again. How much pain can a person take? There are universal laws against this sort of treatment.

*I am a Habs/Flames fan.

Sugarphreak
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM

TYMSMNY
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

You guys have to understand that it's not personal vendetta. It's news and news sells. This news will be overblown much like the H1N1 virus (and how many of you sheep bought into that and got vaccinated?) but panic sells and thats the business news is in. It has nothing to do with the manufacturer or any bias. There is some panic amongst the thousands of people that own these cars and of course the news is going to feed off that and overblow it. This reporter is only doing his/her job what they were told to report.

You guys all sound like a bunch of whiny, hypocrite, fanboys. :cry: You are all the same people that would be spitefully bashing GM if they were having this problem and you know it so STFU and quit acting like this issue isn't big news because whether you like it or not it is.

I think most of us understand that it's just news but proportionately... it's way off the mark. Ford does a recall and it barely makes it onto the 11pm news whereas if Toyota/Honda has one it's the "end of the world".

On the same note of disproportionate news broadcast... they are still airing "help Haiti" on the news? I didn't see that huge earthquake in Indonesia get this much publicity... nor stuff in Philippines, or China...

I'm beginning to think how much censorship goes on. *puts on tin foil hat* :rolleyes:

Tomaz
02-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
Wow... lots of defenders of Toyota. This IS huge news. The best selling car company in the world has problems that with most of its vehicles. Even the CEO is apologizing publicly. Anyone remember when the Ford Explorer has tires that would blow and cause roll overs? That was huge news. This dwarfs that if you look at the number of vehicles involved. This has also been a known problem for quite a while so thats gonna make it even worse in terms of public image.

The news is Toyota fucked up and it's fixing it. Not that the service centers not being able to keep up. I can just image some of the interviews already!

Typical "Sheep" - "Uh, ummm, Toyota should have been prepared for something like this. They should have double or triple the techs on staff. They should also put a dealership on every corner like Starbucks so everyone can get fixed instantly. Then after this is all done, they should be able to afford to keep everyone employed and busy so they don't lose their jobs. And, umm, i think Toyota should give me my money back. Maybe they should not be in business. I also demand a unicorn and a million dollars. Everyone deserves that."

By the sounds of it, Toyota is doing everything in their power to fix everything they have done wrong. This is not the first time anything like this has happened with automakers. But this has been the first time where i have seen so much effort to fix everything once the cat was let out of the bag.

HondaKid
02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
If Tiger Woods had been driving a Toyota into that tree, we would have no other news or sports, maybe a bit of weather. I think Cadillac might also have braking issues and this Toyota bashing is a sidestep for Government Motors.

heavyD
02-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

I think most of us understand that it's just news but proportionately... it's way off the mark. Ford does a recall and it barely makes it onto the 11pm news whereas if Toyota/Honda has one it's the "end of the world".

I hope you actually don't believe that statement. Toyota and Honda have had numerous recalls as well that barely make it on the 11 pm news. It's not like this is the first Toyota recall. If Suzuki has the same recall nobody cares because they sell so few vehicles but this is Toyota the number one manufacturer which means a heck of a lot of people are driving vehicles that could possibly go out of control. Now I know that the odds of it happening are very low but the odds were very low that people could die from H1N1 but how many people panicked and camped out for hours just to get a shot? It's big news to many people that own the cars and that's the truth. Please don't make this a North America vs Japan thing because that's just lame.:thumbsdow

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi.

[email protected]

Thanks!!!!
You're a piece of garbage.

heavyD
02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You're a piece of garbage.

Are you getting worried customers at Lexus? Not like you to post such comments and you have been really defensive about this whole thing. If people aren't waiting to get their cars serviced there won't be a story.

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Are you getting worried customers at Lexus? You have been really defensive about this whole thing. If people aren't waiting to get their cars serviced there won't be a story.
This has nothing to do with Lexus as we are not affected by it. It has to do with the news people making a situation look worse than it needs to be. It doesn't matter if they're going after Toyota, GM, BMW etc. the news is doing a good enough job and making people panick and making them angry at dealers who have nothing to do with what's happening. As mentioned in the thread I also have tech friends who work at Toyota dealerships. They are putting in 12 hour days to make sure that everyone is properly taken care of. I took my FJ in the other day, didn't have any problems booking an appointment.

heavyD
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM

This has nothing to do with Lexus as we are not affected by it. It has to do with the news people making a situation look worse than it needs to be. It doesn't matter if they're going after Toyota, GM, BMW etc. the news is doing a good enough job and making people panick and making them angry at dealers who have nothing to do with what's happening. As mentioned in the thread I also have tech friends who work at Toyota dealerships. They are putting in 12 hour days to make sure that everyone is properly taken care of. I took my FJ in the other day, didn't have any problems booking an appointment.

It definately sounds like there isn't much of a story there so not too much to worry about. It's definately being blown out of proportion but I don't know if calling a person just doing their job garbage is appropriate. I always say that my MR2 was the best built car I've ever owned. That doesn't mean I'm going to overlook that Toyota has fucked up.

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM

It definately sounds like there isn't much of a story there so not too much to worry about. It's definately being blown out of proportion but I don't know if calling a person just doing their job garbage is appropriate. I always say that my MR2 was the best built car I've ever owned. That doesn't mean I'm going to overlook that Toyota has fucked up.
I'm not saying Toyota hasn't made a mistake because they certainly have. There are issues with the accelerator pedal and those issues need to be rectified but fishing for negativity to fuel the media hype around the incident isn't the right thing to do. If the OP wants peoples testimonies on experiences with unintended acceleration that's fine but to piss on dealers who are already stressed and either over or under worked isn't cool.

heavyD
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM

I'm not saying Toyota hasn't made a mistake because they certainly have. There are issues with the accelerator pedal and those issues need to be rectified but fishing for negativity to fuel the media hype around the incident isn't the right thing to do. If the OP wants peoples testimonies on experiences with unintended acceleration that's fine but to piss on dealers who are already stressed and either over or under worked isn't cool.

Yeah I definately sympathize with the dealers as they are the ones that have to deal with an issue that is out of their control with customers in this prevailing culture of self entitlement where nobody wants to wait for anything and expect service this minute. Sounds like the local dealerships are in fact doing a good job juggling this issue and regular service so hopefully there's no story here.

shanxk8
02-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Anyone considered that someone may have looked up an email address of a reporter at CBC and trolled?

TYMSMNY
02-05-2010, 04:20 PM

I hope you actually don't believe that statement. Toyota and Honda have had numerous recalls as well that barely make it on the 11 pm news. It's not like this is the first Toyota recall. If Suzuki has the same recall nobody cares because they sell so few vehicles but this is Toyota the number one manufacturer which means a heck of a lot of people are driving vehicles that could possibly go out of control. Now I know that the odds of it happening are very low but the odds were very low that people could die from H1N1 but how many people panicked and camped out for hours just to get a shot? It's big news to many people that own the cars and that's the truth. Please don't make this a North America vs Japan thing because that's just lame.:thumbsdow

Nah, not a comparison between countries.

Definitely the flame is bigger due to the size of Toyota and the amount of cars that are affected.

Did you know that Ford did a recall in 2008 on 14.1million vehicles for a faulty cruise control switch that could catch on fire? How many times was that story on air?

I think the news media + panic modes, as you said, creates an even bigger story. Some of the cars being recalled are from 2005 I think. Its funny to see how people all of a sudden stop driving their toyotas after 4 years of doing so.

TYMSMNY
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Are you getting worried customers at Lexus? Not like you to post such comments and you have been really defensive about this whole thing. If people aren't waiting to get their cars serviced there won't be a story.

They calm customers down by having 2 posters up... in french and in english! :D

Plus the muffins help.