PDA

View Full Version : Management Degree - Possible jobs?

mowglee
02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Hey Beyond, I know its a pretty vague question but I'm currently pursuing my BMgt at the U of L and I'm just wondering what sort of jobs are available for me once I'm done. I have a third year standing but I probably won't be finished for about another 2 years because I'm working a lot.

So if anybody knows what kind of jobs are related to my degree then that would be great. I'm majoring in General Management btw.

Thanks in advance!

Speed_69
02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Isn't this something you should've looked into before pursuing a BMgt Degree? :dunno:

mowglee
02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
Isn't this something you should've looked into before pursuing a BMgt Degree? :dunno:

Ya it is :facepalm: but I started off at SAIT just so I can figure out what I really want to do, and I figured some experience can't be a bad thing. Then I just got into the degree program because I found learning about this stuff somewhat interesting. My goal is project management but I just want to know what jobs people with a degree similar to a BMgt have.

boxer23
02-05-2010, 01:51 AM
project management jobs are usually for people with engineering degrees, or something technical.

drewb
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
What is your major within the faculty of management?

drewb
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by boxer23
project management jobs are usually for people with engineering degrees, or something technical.

Not necessary, my father is a project manager and he has a degree but it is not a technical or engineering degree per say.

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I have that exact degree from U of L and I work in Oil & Gas Marketing.

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by drewb
What is your major within the faculty of management?

Originally posted by mowglee
I'm majoring in General Management btw.

Thanks in advance!

sputnik
02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey Beyond, I know its a pretty vague question but I'm currently pursuing my BMgt at the U of L and I'm just wondering what sort of jobs are available for me once I'm done. I have a third year standing but I probably won't be finished for about another 2 years because I'm working a lot.

So if anybody knows what kind of jobs are related to my degree then that would be great. I'm majoring in General Management btw.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.mckansas.com/images/operators/1000006974/james_w.jpg

lint
02-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Not necessary, my father is a project manager and he has a degree but it is not a technical or engineering degree per say.

You do know what "usually" means, right?

mowglee
02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

http://www.mckansas.com/images/operators/1000006974/james_w.jpg

I'll offer a beyond discount if I became that guy

sexualbanana
02-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Most project management jobs require some sort of certification now, I believe.

jonnycat
02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Apply at a place you'll want to manage someday. Your degree is really only good for getting you in the door when you're short on any management experience. This way it'll be easier to work up to your desired position. Chances of landing a mgmt job anywhere without experience is tough.

lexw
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Wendys.

R-Audi
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a UofL Mngt degree.. did Gas marketing for a while, and now in Commercial Real Estate consulting.
Just make sure you take courses that you think will be beneficial.. I'd suggest a few extra finance, maybe consulting, small business etc

You can apply pretty much anywhere.... go with what you like!
(within reason.. no geology engineering jobs for you!)

Marsh
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have that exact degree from U of L and I work in Oil & Gas Marketing.

Ditto..but I did a co-op with my current company first so that definitely improved the odds..U of L has a great co-op program, i would definitely consider doing that if I were you

97'Scort
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Not to knock your dad, because he might be good at it, but as a technologist I loathe working for non-technical people in a technical field. It's like being stuck in Office Space, getting hammered for obviously useless shit that they think is necessary.

cressida_pimpin
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a BMgt from UofL in marketing and I'm currently doing my MBA in marketing at UCalgary. What I would suggest is that you start to determine what your interests are and then cater your course selection to that. The big four pools to select courses from are:

Human Resources
Marketing
Finance
Accounting (might be limited in Calgary)

When you say "project management" do you really know what the entails? There are so many different types. Specialize in what interests you, that's the bottom line.

sabad66
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I know a guy pursuing that degree, and he is currently on a co-op working in IT Project Management at a major O&G company.

idriveabox
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Same degree for me and the g/f. I work in risk management for a utility company, she works in procurement O&G.

I recommend the co-op program as well.

B20EF
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I work in the hotel industry (my major)
Wife works in banking industry
Good friend is in procurement for an engineering firm

All have that same degree

Wrath
02-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I Have my BMgt from the U of L in Management as well

I work as the Manager of Marketing and Communications for a small/midsize O&G Software Company

Considering my MBA from U of C as well

leftwing
02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
with a general managment degree you can work pretty much anywhere. thats why its called general managment, because its general, you learn a bit about alot of topics.

calgarygts
02-10-2010, 04:06 PM
no matter what try to do a co-op term....then if you like it and aren't a retard you'll probably end up getting a job where you worked if you want. I have the same degree from Lethbridge and wish I would have done that, makes life easier (I would try for a big oil/gas company personally).

lint
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
someone edumecate me, what exactly is taught in a general management degree?

cressida_pimpin
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by lint
someone edumecate me, what exactly is taught in a general management degree?

General Management degree:

Economics (micro/macro)
Finance
Marketing
Accounting
Human Resources
Information Systems
Market Research
Writing
Strategic Management
Ethics
Statistics
International business
Arts requirements (ex. archaeology, drama, philosophy, psychology, sociology)

R-Audi
02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Basically you take what you think will give you the most benefit. I did general, and at the end of the day I was 3 courses away from a Finance degree, yet took a load of small business related courses....

leftwing
02-12-2010, 12:58 PM
im the same way, i have a general managment major, with financial services as my minor, but i will have the equivallent to a financial servies applied degree (without the work term) along with my major of GenManagment. its a very versatile degree.

mowglee
02-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I wasn`t aware of their co-op program being so good I will definitely give it a shot. I still need to do some research but this is definitely a big help. Thanks again guys!

UndrgroundRider
02-21-2010, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Not to knock your dad, because he might be good at it, but as a technologist I loathe working for non-technical people in a technical field. It's like being stuck in Office Space, getting hammered for obviously useless shit that they think is necessary.

I loathe working for people who have degrees but are still incompetent in the field their degree is in. Because then not only do you have to deal with their incompetence, but you have to deal with them thinking they are competent.

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Basically you take what you think will give you the most benefit. I did general, and at the end of the day I was 3 courses away from a Finance degree, yet took a load of small business related courses....

Yeah same here, at the end of it all, I was 1-2 courses away from a couple different things. Aside from the required courses, I just picked was likely to be the least work.

On another note,

If there is one thing I learned, its that a degree means jack shit in the vast majority of situations. Very few companies even check to see if you have a degree, let alone your marks, so there is little incentive to shoot for a 4.0 unless you are in law, medicine, etc. or need to get into another program/school. At least in my situation, and pretty well every single person I know, I would have regretted it big time if I had abandoned my social life to get a 4.0 all throughout post secondary.

Through my travels, countless managers, VPs, and CEOs have told me that they don't care about the degree at all, and would take someone with a few years experience over someone with no experience and a PhD or masters. There are just too many "book smart" people with all the impressive papers/documents but are borderline retarded otherwise.

If your competent, you can quickly and easily learn any job and excel at it, even if you forget every last thing you learned in school. I think companies are starting to realize this more now, and put more emphasis on personality, competency, and work ethic during the selection process. YMMV, but I've yet to see/hear a single thing that would make me think otherwise.

I started as a summer student and was kept as an employee afterward, but Co op programs are an excellent way of doing it as well. You just need to get your foot in the door and build some contacts. If people know who you are and are impressed with what you do, they usually couldn't care less about your degree or grades in post secondary.