PDA

View Full Version : U of A breaks Guinness World Record for most players in 1 single game of Dodgeball

Atriux
02-05-2010, 09:35 PM
1200, players, 600 balls, 1 gym... = ??? An awesome time. Previous record was San Diego University with 450 players.

Date Broken: Feb, 5th, 2010

I dunno if people would find this interesting at all, but I'm a student at the UofA who found this really interesting :)

hHoT72jcL-g

dj_rice
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Now if only they had this much enthusiam with the Oilers hockey team to win games

JordanLotoski
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Why does the U of A have 600 dodgeballs?

Atriux
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I think they pretty much bought it for the record, they're now being distributed towards all of the organizations that participated (from my understanding)

LDL (residence dodgeball for example)
and a large number of other organizations who planned this.

From what I know, there's 4 smaller dodgeball tournaments being held through organizations around campus in the following week or so. Most of the balls will probably go to that.

liquidboi69
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I am also from UofA, and I think it was pointless.

There wasn't even Guiness Officials there to determine it was an official record braker.

Just for bragging rights.

Damn I miss Dodgeball...

Also to answer Jordan's question: UofA is big on dodgeball, as the whole Lister Residence competes against each other. Lister alone easily has over 1200 residents. Not surprising they decided to buy some extra balls for the later part of the season haha

adidas
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Why would u sit out if u got hit? lol its not like anyone would notice. And id prob just stay at the back of the pack until a few players are left.

Atriux
02-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Why would u sit out if u got hit? lol its not like anyone would notice. And id prob just stay at the back of the pack until a few players are left.

They had people trying to side-ref... didn't work out to well. I went off when I thought it skimmed my shorts.... this girl I saw after got hit 12 times before going off (it was WAY to hard to officiate...) ah well.

And I was reading up on it, it won't officially be considered in the Guinness world record for a few months, but it still should after a while.

And yes, especially in Lister Residence, dodgeball is HUGE (there's a regular season that starts from late October, and you play a game a week until mid Feb, then a couple weeks later playoffs start). Just some insight xD.

liquidboi69
02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
No where, have I read that it is considered official. So I'm just curious to as how Guiness can officially determine it being a valid record.

I always thought it was quite a process to make sure everything is valid and what not.

Atriux
02-06-2010, 01:29 AM
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2010/02/05/12764326-qmi.html

Towards the end, not sure on the validity though. Last sentence pretty much says that, everything has to be sent in then they'll review it.

Sugarphreak
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM

ExtraSlow
02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Dodgeball is awesome, as long as you don't have douchbag whiny chicks who complain about you throwing "too hard." It's fucking dodgeball! you can't just throw underhand.

V6-BoI
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Join a Dodgeball recreation league

http://www.calgarysportsclub.com/dodgeball/index.shtml

I hear some of those dodge ball leagues are pretty intense. Some teams get really really competitive, and people get injured playing it.

5000Audi
02-06-2010, 06:16 PM
thats why UofA costs to much to go to.. they spend all your tuition on dodge balls...

Atriux
02-07-2010, 02:43 AM
^
This was a thought that crossed my mind before as well, then I realized it's pretty much the same in my department for other schools in the surrounding area.

gqmw
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
thats why UofA costs to much to go to.. they spend all your tuition on dodge balls...

Then how come UofC wants to raise tuition...they don't even have 600 dodgeballs :(

It'd be pretty sweet to participate that day...especially if I was feeling midterm frustration...I would've loved to take my anger out on other students. You're guaranteed to hit at least one person per throw...