PDA

View Full Version : Low-Carb Recipes

A790
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Post here if you have any good low-carb recipes! I'll start with....

... Cam's Delicious Carb-Reduced Chili!
Makes 8 servings. Each serving: 660 calories, 36g fat, 37g carbs, 48g protein.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour

Ingredients Needed:
+ Two medium tomatoes (remove if you want to reduce carbs further)
+ 1/2 medium yellow onion
+ 1 large green pepper
+ Two cans (284ml) of mushrooms (with or without stems)
+ 4 tsp chili powder (or to taste, whatever)
+ 2 tsp olive oil
+ 1 large can (18oz) of kidney beans (do 12oz to reduce carbs further)
+ 2lb of lean ground beef
+ 46oz tomato juice
+ Tobasco sauce

Preparation:

+ Brown ground beef in a sauce pain. Drain grease/

+ Saute onions and green pepper in olive oil.

+ Combine beef and green peppers/onion in a big pot. Mix.

+ Add chili pepper, beans, and tomato juice.

+ Add some tobasco (I added like 20 "squirts" since I like it spicier)

+ Stir everything, cover, and let simmer for an hour or so.

When serving, shred some cheese on top! NOM NOM.

Enjoy :)

spike98
02-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I do something similar but to cut cals and fat i use ground turkey instead of beef.

nonlinear
02-07-2010, 11:52 PM
that looks really good! but can you comment on the meat:veggie ratio? i.e. is this more of a meat-based sauce with veggies, like a ragu? or is it like a stew with equal parts meat and veggie. what is the consistency? do you have any pics?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: also, what do you think about adding a scoop of sour cream at the end, when you top it off with cheese?

A790
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I do something similar but to cut cals and fat i use ground turkey instead of beef.
Sounds good- I'll try that next time!

Originally posted by nonlinear
that looks really good! but can you comment on the meat:veggie ratio? i.e. is this more of a meat-based sauce with veggies, like a ragu? or is it like a stew with equal parts meat and veggie. what is the consistency? do you have any pics?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: also, what do you think about adding a scoop of sour cream at the end, when you top it off with cheese?
Definitely more meat that veggies. I'd say like 3:1 ratio haha. As far as sour cream goes... do it up man, it's your food! I prefer low carb (37g isn't "super low", but it's decent for a post workout meal).

nonlinear
02-08-2010, 12:55 AM
sounds damn good... i just bought a pound of ground beef tonight that i was going to use on dope nachos tomorrow night, but i just might use it to make this instead (half the recipe). mmm :drool:

max_boost
02-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Too lazy to make my own. Can you just make some extra, put it in a tupperware container and I'll swing by to pick it up?
haha :D

A790
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Too lazy to make my own. Can you just make some extra, put it in a tupperware container and I'll swing by to pick it up?
haha :D
Done. $34.50 ;)

mr2mike
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Don't have a specific recipe but ALive Magazine generally has some healthy ideas.

http://www.alive.com/recipe.php

Darkane
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Looks like a tasty recipe.

Wonder how the consistency would be if you substituded Sugar free ketchup and water for the tomato juice. Would save lots of carbs there. Maybe add some corn startch to thicken it a little.

Darkane
02-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Couple Desserts:

1)Sugar free Jello, topped with 95% fat free cool whip. Only 3 carbs in 3tbsp's of Coo-whhhhhhhhhip.

2) Sugar Free/fat free Jello Pudding:

-Packet of pudding
-1.5cups of Natures Breeze UNSWEETENED Almond milk (this shit is good with 1 carb per cup)
Mix as required
Let cool in fridge for 20min or whatever and top with 95% fat free whipped cream.

8 carbs per serving, makes 4 servings.

3) Protein Jello

-Packet of sugar free jello
-2 scoops of flavour protein
-mix in half serving whipped cream
-let stand in fridge until consitency is achieved, and top with the other half of the whipped cream

Use Vanilla protein with orange jello for Creamsickle. Use chocolate protein with orange jello for Terrys Chocolate orange flavour. Chocolate and strawberry are also excellent.

4) Protein Fudge (One of my favorites)

-2scoops of a "thicker" protein. A whey/cassein blend works best here. Biotests Metabolic drive is awesome here.
-1-1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter. (I like almond butter here)
-A splash of unsweetened Almond milk, add until a thick consistency is achieved. You'll know when you get it.
-Place in the Freezer for 30-45min, leave out for 5 min and top with whipped cream if you want.

This is an excellent pre-bed snack

5) Ice Coffee

-Packet of Instant coffee, or brewed and cooled
-Ice
-Unsweeted Almond milk
-Splenda
-Vanilla extract

I add 5g of Leucine as well for a little amino acid kick.

These are bare minimum desserts as well, I Think I've come up with a Crustless pumpkin pie that has 8g of carbs/servings and should in theory taste amazing. Haven't made it yet, my GF is upset I'll basterdize her recipe with my physique freidnly alternative ingredients haha.

Out

mr2mike
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Protein Jello, LMFAO.

I don't know why but I find that funny.

Darkane
02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Protein Jello, LMFAO.

I don't know why but I find that funny.

Actually, it's ironic. 100g of gelatin has 86g of protein. So in essense it is protein jello ;).

I left out my anabolic fruit punch jello. That is the real deal!

jaysas_63
02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Couple Desserts:

1)Sugar free Jello, topped with 95% fat free cool whip. Only 3 carbs in 3tbsp's of Coo-whhhhhhhhhip.

2) Sugar Free/fat free Jello Pudding:

-Packet of pudding
-1.5cups of Natures Breeze UNSWEETENED Almond milk (this shit is good with 1 carb per cup)
Mix as required
Let cool in fridge for 20min or whatever and top with 95% fat free whipped cream.

8 carbs per serving, makes 4 servings.

3) Protein Jello

-Packet of sugar free jello
-2 scoops of flavour protein
-mix in half serving whipped cream
-let stand in fridge until consitency is achieved, and top with the other half of the whipped cream

Use Vanilla protein with orange jello for Creamsickle. Use chocolate protein with orange jello for Terrys Chocolate orange flavour. Chocolate and strawberry are also excellent.

4) Protein Fudge (One of my favorites)

-2scoops of a "thicker" protein. A whey/cassein blend works best here. Biotests Metabolic drive is awesome here.
-1-1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter. (I like almond butter here)
-A splash of unsweetened Almond milk, add until a thick consistency is achieved. You'll know when you get it.
-Place in the Freezer for 30-45min, leave out for 5 min and top with whipped cream if you want.

This is an excellent pre-bed snack

5) Ice Coffee

-Packet of Instant coffee, or brewed and cooled
-Ice
-Unsweeted Almond milk
-Splenda
-Vanilla extract

I add 5g of Leucine as well for a little amino acid kick.

These are bare minimum desserts as well, I Think I've come up with a Crustless pumpkin pie that has 8g of carbs/servings and should in theory taste amazing. Haven't made it yet, my GF is upset I'll basterdize her recipe with my physique freidnly alternative ingredients haha.

Out

These are some amazing ideas buddy!! :thumbsup:

if ur into eating low starch, and love bread, try gettin ur hands on this soy-protein based bread coaled Joesphs. they have a lotta diff types of bread, my fav is the tortilla with each piece having 70 cal, 1.5 g fat, 8gs protein, and 11 gs of carbs (7 of which is fiber) so u really only have about 4 gs of digestable carbs with an 8g protein intake

cut those up bake em for around 15 min at 400ish C, and you got yourself low carb nachos

Jeremiah
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
sorry bro 37 carbs is not low carb LOL... but it does sound delicious... might try it when i have a cheat day

Jeremiah
02-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

These are some amazing ideas buddy!! :thumbsup:

if ur into eating low starch, and love bread, try gettin ur hands on this soy-protein based bread coaled Joesphs. they have a lotta diff types of bread, my fav is the tortilla with each piece having 70 cal, 1.5 g fat, 8gs protein, and 11 gs of carbs (7 of which is fiber) so u really only have about 4 gs of digestable carbs with an 8g protein intake

cut those up bake em for around 15 min at 400ish C, and you got yourself low carb nachos

Yuuuuuuuup ive been doing the Josephs Pita Nachoes for the past year, such a great idea.. one day i got jealous because my girlfriend was having nachoes and then i tried that and it was delicious!... i wouldn't cook them for 15 minutes though, normally 3-5 on each side will suffice, i normally burn them haha.. also darkane, i love that almond joy drink, i never thought of using that with sugar free jello pudding im excited to have pudding again!

one sweet dessert ive had is sugar free chocolate melted down (has 0 carbs if you minus the sugar alcohols by the total carbs) (also be careful with sugar alcohols because they are pretty much a laxative and they can slow down weight loss depending on the person) add a two tablespoons of peanut butter and a tspn of regular butter. Freeze and then whip up some heavy cream, cut the chocolate/peanut butter in pieces and add the whipped cream on top...

jaysas_63
02-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

Yuuuuuuuup ive been doing the Josephs Pita Nachoes for the past year, such a great idea.. one day i got jealous because my girlfriend was having nachoes and then i tried that and it was delicious!... i wouldn't cook them for 15 minutes though, normally 3-5 on each side will suffice, i normally burn them haha.. also darkane, i love that almond joy drink, i never thought of using that with sugar free jello pudding im excited to have pudding again!

one sweet dessert ive had is sugar free chocolate melted down (has 0 carbs if you minus the sugar alcohols by the total carbs) (also be careful with sugar alcohols because they are pretty much a laxative and they can slow down weight loss depending on the person) add a two tablespoons of peanut butter and a tspn of regular butter. Freeze and then whip up some heavy cream, cut the chocolate/peanut butter in pieces and add the whipped cream on top...

where have you been getting Josephs in Alberta??? iv been eating it since i came down to boston for school, but when i came back to calgary on break i must have called 15 different specialty stores (including those for diabetics) and couldnt find it anywhere!

also how much do u get a pack of tortillas for if you dont mind me asking??

spike98
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
sorry bro 37 carbs is not low carb LOL... but it does sound delicious... might try it when i have a cheat day

37 Carbs is very low carb. Not everyone is doing the palumbo diet.

jaysas_63
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM

i think its important to distinguish between different types of carbohydrates. 37g of carbs coming from fiber, from pasta, and from vegetables are very different things, and our bodies go about digesting them in different ways.

so if you think a 37g serving of starchy pasta is low carb, then you're wrong. but if those 37gs of carbs come from a balanced meal, perhaps composed of milk (lactose) whole grains (fiber) and vegtables then maybe it is low carb!

people eating atkins style diets are ridiculous, sure you'll lose weight, but good luck keeping it off, not too mention the adverse health effects you'll encounter with not having any available sugars driving your body into a state of permanent ketosis

i agree to cut out processed sugars, and to cut out strachs (like potatoe, pasta, white rice, white bread) but their is a need for carbs that could come from fruit, vegtables, beans, whole grains, milk etc etc.

A790
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
It's not "ultra low", but in comparison to how much protein/calories is in the serving, it's low. As well, the carb sources are varied and nutritional. It's not sugar.

I use it as a pre or post workout meal. Works out well for me. Since I started my TCD last month I've lost 6 lbs, and my lifts have continued to go up.

Time to buy new pants soon :(

Jeremiah
02-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

where have you been getting Josephs in Alberta??? iv been eating it since i came down to boston for school, but when i came back to calgary on break i must have called 15 different specialty stores (including those for diabetics) and couldnt find it anywhere!

also how much do u get a pack of tortillas for if you dont mind me asking??

no problem. I order them from the low carb grocery

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=132_215&products_id=1867&osCsid=82b199567f417d28d1b465649fd58aea

Shipping is normally quite fast and they last a long time.

I order 3 or 4 at a time and freeze them and use them as i need them

umm what?

37 per serving (seems like a small serving too) is not VERY LOW CARB, also chilli isn't an extremely high carb dish so :dunno: it depends on how much beans you use and can be made lower carb but whatever, it seems like a great recipe and i'm sure lots of others will enjoy it.

I would go without the mushrooms (personal choice) 1 tomato, and instead of tomato juice would use a can of tomato paste and 12oz of beans as advised. I might use Chorizo instead of ground beef, and add some garlic and loads of cayenne too! (i like it hawt)

JordanEG6
02-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Damn, I gotta try those desserts Darkane mentioned. Sounds good. Now I don't need a cheat day.