PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Mike's Closed?!

masoncgy
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Well... it looks like the Mr. Mike's that had opened up in Southland Crossing (Macleod @ Southland) has already bit the dust... drove past on Macleod and all the windows were papered up and the signs removed, so no Mike Burgers for me & the Mrs.

Anyone know when this shut down?

nonlinear
02-08-2010, 03:14 PM
wow, that place didn't last long. i know you liked their burgers, but other than that i've heard nothing but negative reviews about that place. i'm guessing they closed because their food sucked and they had trouble keeping customers. :dunno:

for your burger fix, what about White Spot across the street? they have pretty OK burgers IMO.

sputnik
02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
No big surprise.

Every time I went there for lunch it was dead empty.

masoncgy
02-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
for your burger fix, what about White Spot across the street? they have pretty OK burgers IMO.

hahaha... that's exactly where we went instead... :)

They've opened up Mr. Mike's in Airdrie and in Red Deer too... so it'll be interesting to see if those two locations last...

QuasarCav
02-08-2010, 03:37 PM
That location is a black hole for new restaurants. Put the Red Robin back there and there won't be any problems.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2010, 03:57 PM
the Mr Mikes in GP was busy last time I was in it.

sillysod
02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
That location is a black hole for new restaurants. Put the Red Robin back there and there won't be any problems.

i concur!

adidas
02-08-2010, 05:24 PM

x127312321321345

nonlinear
02-08-2010, 05:26 PM
what other restaurants have failed there?

i live right near there, and there are several thriving restaurants in the area. I don't think the location has much to do with it. i think the failing of mr. mikes had more to do with shitty food and service.

John Gilchrist gave it a 5/10, and that REALLY means something since we know he usually gives nothing lower than an 8 or 9.

n1zm0
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
^ the piano bar deal, and there was one before that, forgot what it was, was mentioned in the 'you know you're calgarian when' thread

x3

iirc it was there the longest out of all of them

teknical
02-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Burger Inn IMO is the best burger place in Calgary and its in the brick plaza right near southland & macleod.

dj_rice
02-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Boogies Burger FTW

nonlinear
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by teknical
Burger Inn IMO is the best burger place in Calgary and its in the brick plaza right near southland & macleod.

you've got to be kidding me. everything here is frozen, and low quality. the only thing special about this place is the diversity of meat options, but i would hardly call it good and it's CERTAINLY not the best burger place in the city :nut:

ExtraSlow
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
A co-worker recommended LoungeBurger. I'll try that sometime, but for now, Boogies is my pick.

KELSTAR
02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
^ the piano bar deal, and there was one before that, forgot what it was, was mentioned in the 'you know you're calgarian when' thread

x3

iirc it was there the longest out of all of them

Red Robins closed in 2004
New York New York
Bentleys
Mr Mike's

All closed between 2004 and now. I agree that Mr Mike's wasn't good food or service based on my three visits there but the location is a death sentence for restaurants. However, Jack Astor's just keeps on going!

TomcoPDR
02-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Yea, I like Red Robins there the best

nonlinear
02-10-2010, 01:23 AM
that would be a good spot for a Chipotle. most definitely.

{or Muco Burrito).

HiTempguy1
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy

They've opened up Mr. Mike's in Airdrie and in Red Deer too... so it'll be interesting to see if those two locations last...

Mr. Mikes in Red Deer has been open for at least two years. I believe it is doing fine, always people in there whenever I go (smugglers cove sirloin, om nom nom) :D

Cos
02-10-2010, 07:58 AM

Sorath
02-22-2010, 06:22 PM
why dont you try just next door, tommy burger bar, i find it pretty good. nothing beats delux burger in edmonton though, imo anyways

InRich
02-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I had a really good burger at the speak easy glenmore... one of the best i've ever had the other day.

masoncgy
02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
^ Fish Burger?

Wrath
02-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by KELSTAR

Red Robins closed in 2004
New York New York
Bentleys
Mr Mike's

All closed between 2004 and now. I agree that Mr Mike's wasn't good food or service based on my three visits there but the location is a death sentence for restaurants. However, Jack Astor's just keeps on going!

It was Fuddruckers before all of those....What a FANTASTIC burger joint!!

nonlinear
02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
^^haha, wow, blast from the past man! fuddruckers was the shit. i think i only went once when i was a kid, but i remember me and my brother thinking that the burgers were giant, and how damn cool it was that you could put your own toppings on them. hahah. i wonder if there are any left in the states?

Mixalot27
02-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Wrath

Wasn't Fuddruckers where Jack Astor's is now?

n1zm0
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Wrath

Fuddruckers was where jack astors is now(which has done pretty good since then), I know this for sure because I went to tons of bday parties there when I was a kid, same plaza tho

dino_martini
02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Tommy Burger bar has great burgers. The onion rings are really good as well

sgt_hawk
02-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

i concur!

I cant count how many have been through there in the past 12 years of living in braeside.

We should definitely bet on how long the next restaurant will last

Masked Bandit
02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Why can't anything survive in that location? It's a prime spot. It's like it's cursed or something.

aaronck
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
There's no curse-I went to this place on it's opening weekend-when they sell you a ribyeye for $20 that looks like it came from the Safeway meat section, something is wrong. 2 weeks later I went back for lunch, the place was dead and we STILL couldn't get service. The "famous" Mikes burger was expensive, and wasn't as good as the Burger Inn for 1/4 the price.

nonlinear
02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
^^that's saying a lot because burger inn sucks!

brownchild
02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Personally, I think the best burgers in Calgary are at Rocky's Burger Bus in foothills industrial, but I still have to go try Lounge Burger's kobe beef burger.

HHURICANE1
02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Why can't anything survive in that location? It's a prime spot. It's like it's cursed or something.

The Red Robin was there for years and was super busy until some moron decided to change the menu. I went just after their final menu change and the place was a ghost town. Went from lineups most weekends to no one in the place. When the server asked what I would like I said that there wasn't anything I wanted, all the good stuff was gone. He said "Ya, we've been getting that a lot lately." Shortly after they were gone. You would think management would have caught on and made some changes quick to the old menu to save the business. Don't screw with what works.