PDA

View Full Version : What are you favourite (easy, fast, tasty) recipes?

The BMW Guy
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Being a student, I'm getting really bored and sick of eating rice and ground beef with steamed veggies. So I am looking for new recipes to try out.

Just wondering if you guy's know of any recipes that are cheap, easy, fast and above all, tasty.
I am by no means a talented chef, but I can cook most things.

Thank you in advance!

ArjayAquino
02-08-2010, 10:23 PM
You could buy a jar of curry like thai red curry or butter chicken. Then all you have to do is cut up some chicken breast fry it up and then dump the curry in lol. It is really easy and it tastes pretty good.

Bizzareo
02-08-2010, 10:36 PM
www.onlinecollege.org/2009/10/13/100-delicious-dirt-cheap-recipes-for-the-starving-student/comment-page-1\

Also check out my post on chocolate crepes

slinkie
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
+1 for the curry in a jar

also i found some in like a flat rectangular thin cardboard box, tan coloured, at superstore, 'shit was so cash', just fry up the chicken, put in milk etc , drop on rice

Dumbass17
02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
i just bought some ranch shake n bake
throw a chicken breast in it, bake for 20minutes..bam.
make some sidekicks with it.

i really enjoy this lately
fry up a diced chicken breast
add Old El Paso Fajita seasoning mix
add cooked rice
add veggies (i just defrost some frozen vegs in the microwave)
add shrimp
season/hot sauce to taste
quick and easy!

the following is DELICIOUS (despite the ingredients) and easy, i make this about every two weeks and just freeze it for lunches.

4 chicken breasts (or two)
half a small jar of apricot (or peach) jam
half a small bottle of russian salad dressing
half a pack of onion soup mix

place chicken in a decently deep oven dish
mix ingredients in bowl, smother over chicken breasts
cover in foil
back at 350C for 1hour.

eat with rice. the sauce or whatever goes awesome on rice. i add pepper to taste.
i've shared this recipe with a few ppl and they all loved it. it sounds gross but it's damn tasty!

Dumbass17
02-09-2010, 10:15 AM
also M&M's is a godsend

i always try new items from that place

the honey garlic chicken breasts are awesome

jdmSiR
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Make Tacos.

JAYMEZ
02-09-2010, 10:46 AM
First thing that came to my mind was a Curry.. Lots of selections in Sobeys.. Soo good :thumbsup:

liquidboi69
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
What curries do you guys suggest? I have that powdered stuff from that big Indian brand that has a yellow blue and red bag.

That stuff is just disappointing. I am looking into trying pastes, and are they expensive?

legendboy
02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Tomato Soup and Noodles

Make campbells tomato soup with milk, don't burn it! Add a can of diced tomatoes or diced fresh tomatoes. If you add a can, strain the juice or it will curdle with the milk.

In another pot, cook some pasta of your choice (anything but spaghetti)

Combine noodles in soup when done.

Add sriracha hot sauce, pepper and parmesan cheese.

Enjoy! (its super good)

http://static.blogcritics.org/09/10/09/115849/091006sriracha.jpg

19fury69
02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Pick up some fettuccini noodles, a small carton of half and half cream, some mozza, cheddar, parmigan, and a shrimp ring.
Cook the noodles, heat up the cream and cheese in another pot, keep stiring it. defrost the shrimp ring in the sink under COLD water, take all their tails off.
When all the cheese is disolved into the cream and the noodles are cooked and strained, throw the shrimp in the sauce and let them warm up a bit. Serve and enjoy.
If you get everything timed right it should take about 10 minutes total. Its really cheap as well as almost fancy. I think last time everything to feed 4 was around 10 bucks.

Sasuke_Kensai
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
This is kind of obvious, but spaghetti's always an old standby haha

For a substitute cream sauce, you can just use a can of mushroom soup. You could add this to the rice/beef combo to change it up a little bit, and use it for other things as well. Also, I find that onion and garlic tend to make a lot of things better.

Another one, tuna casserole, just mix everything together:
-Bunch of pasta, something like fusilli, shells or macaroni
-Bunch of frozen veggies (peas/corn/carrots/green beans)
-Can of tuna
-Couple scoops of mayo

My mom always fried up a decent quality steak, then used the juices to make awesome fried rice that was moist/oily yet crispy (I can never get this one right though - harder than it seems?)

Greek-type salads with lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber, and feta. Feta or parmesan will make almost any salad much tastier. You can also throw in shaved nuts, orange pieces, pineapple, etc.

I would look into researching good enhancing spices/foods, like onions or feta cheese - that way you can make your own enhancements for a countless variety of dishes, without having to remember recipes word for word. Also, those curry blocks someone mentioned from superstore are tasty :)

Sasuke_Kensai
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Garlic toast - spread margarine or butter on bread, sprinkle lightly with garlic powder, shred cheddar cheese on top, and toast in toaster oven for a few mins. Can chuck a little parmesan on top after as well. (not too healthy, and more of a snack)

For another simple side, you can throw some balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil (or even just olive oil) onto a plate, then dip into it with focaccia bread - this is at some italian-style restaurants for free though.

Crymson
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I like to stick with the rice.

Usually once a week, i'll make about 6-8 cups of dirty rice and put in the fridge in a big tupperware. Then throughout the week just fry it up or warm it up with chicken, beef, pork, etc... Or like it was suggested before, cook up soem chicken in a butter chicken sauce and eat it overtop.

I typically don't like rice, but it's delicious if you do it up by frying an sauteing an onion, green ontions, diced peppers and chipped mushrooms in garlic. Then adding about 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water and a messload of salt. Toss in your 3-4 cups of rice when it's boiling, turn it off and let it sit for 45 minutes with the lid on.

It's just handy to have a pile of this stuff in the fridge becuase even if you're too lazy to make something to go with it you can eat a bowlful and it's not just plain rice.

I like it for breakfast too -- fry a can of baked beans and toss in a cup of the rice and it's gooooood. Toss a fried egg on top for a delicious gallo pinto!

OCDP
02-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Chicken Parmasan..

Pan fry some chicken breast, season it with herbs and spices, brown it up then reduce heat, add prego original/traditional tomato sauce, cover and simmer. Sprinkle on some mozza, leaving it covered and let melt, the more the better. Don't be shy with the prego sauce either.. as you will see below.

Boil some noodles, once completed serve chicken, add noodles and sauce as desired. Done.

My quick and easy dinner, always tasty

Vince1
02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Guacomole and nachos...

3 tomatoes
3 avocados
1 cilantro bunch
1 lemon
1 lime
hint of garlic
salt and pepper
1 fresh jalapeno

Mash up the avocados with the lemon and lime juice freshly squeezed, chop up everything else and mix it all together. Salt and pepper to taste. All the above will cost like 7 or 8 bucks and is plenty of dip for 2 people.

Then make nachos however you like them, there's always cheese and tortilla chips on sale at Safeway.