PDA

View Full Version : Need help: building a bathroom

Billy_Billions
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a undeveloped basement that I'm looking to put a bathroom into. There is currently no plumbing in the area I'm building in so I'll need concrete cut, and pipes laid for a shower, sink and toilet.

PM me for more details.

Kloubek
02-09-2010, 03:33 PM
If nobody can help you out, pm me. I know a plumber.

...not sure if he could cut the concrete though - you'd have to ask him.

C_Dave45
02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Sent you a PM

drclark
02-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Can you still rough-in the plumbing after the house is built?
I imagine it must be quite expansive to have it done.

TKRIS
02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Sledgehammer. Smashy-Smashy.

I had to take out a big section of my floor because the morons didn't put a riser, or box in around the location of my tub drain. So I went exploring. A few hits with a sledge and the concrete breaks right up, then I just filled the holes with redimix once I was done.

Kloubek
02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Sledgehammer. Smashy-Smashy.

I had to take out a big section of my floor because the morons didn't put a riser, or box in around the location of my tub drain. So I went exploring. A few hits with a sledge and the concrete breaks right up, then I just filled the holes with redimix once I was done.

Seriously? I don't think the concrete is supposed to crumble with a hit from a sledge. It is supposed to be a minimum of 4 inches thick, and is often significantly more.

I took a jackhammer to the basement in my last place, and it was a total bitch even with that. Sure, it put a hairline crack in it right away... but to actually bust it up was a major pain.

TKRIS
02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Sure it does. That's how I found my drain. That's how I found my neighbour's drain. That's how my buddy who owns a plumbing company finds his customer's drains.
It's just 4" 20 MPA concrete. It's not like it's heavily reinforced with rebar of wire mesh or anything.

The first few hits won't seem like it's doing anything. Once you get past that, you can rip through it pretty easily using a 20-30lb sledge.

Sledgehammer works better than a hammer and chisel. Because the concrete has nowhere to go, you're not going to be able to "cut" through it. It's all about blunt force. Smash it up and it will crumble.
Hammer/chisel (like jackhammering) works well to cut through concrete if it can move laterally, but not if it's locked in place like a floor.

EDIT: If you'd have used a sledge to knock a hole through the floor, then used the jackhammer to basically "stretch" the hole out, you'd have had a lot easier time.

C_Dave45
02-11-2010, 06:50 PM
rofl....uhh...its much easier and cleaner to rent a concrete saw from HD. cut a "channel" and then pry it out with a crow bar. Couple of smacks with the sledge if you want smaller pieces.

drclark
02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Ok. I am a newbie on home renovation.

If the basement does not have a drainage pipe rough-in can you still put one in?

How would you do it??

Cos
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
that is what the whole thread has focused on. Piping with no bathroom is called roughed in plumbing.

see sledge comments on how to get the hole going, then lay new pipe, tie into existing system, and fill back over with concrete.

Billy_Billions
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMp1Gq3-zgI

I was thinking something more like this then I remembered how messy it gets. maybe a diamond tipped blade on a circular saw and a jackhammer to finish it off would be best.

drclark
02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Does the kitchen drain pipe connect to the toilet drain pipe?
Just wondering how that works?

codetrap
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I just rented a jackhammer from HD for the day. It was the most fun I had with the home reno's. Totally got into with the loud rock music and everything. :D

beyond_ban
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Have you thought of the alternative to roughing in new plumbing? Why don't you get a macerating pump? One unit can handle the toilet, sink and shower. A lot easier to install, and it almost guarantees that your toilet never plugs again.

http://www.saniflo.ca/SANIPLUS.aspx

Billy_Billions
02-23-2010, 02:29 PM
^

looks interesting but I already bought the toilet we're going to use. Fuck...I gotta get back on this.

JRSC00LUDE
02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
rofl....uhh...its much easier and cleaner to rent a concrete saw from HD. cut a "channel" and then pry it out with a crow bar. Couple of smacks with the sledge if you want smaller pieces.

Ding-Ding-Ding! We have a winner :thumbsup:

TKRIS
02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
That depends if you want to go rent a concrete saw for such a small job. Those fucking things take forever too (at least the last one I used did).
Presuming you just need a 10-15' long trench, I'd have it finished with a sledge by the time you go back from the rental shop with a concrete saw.

Sure, go rent a concrete saw and cut a trench if you want. But it's not ridiculous to suggest that he simple punch a trench through with a sledge. Seeing as how this is a 1-off thing, that seems like a pretty cheap, fast way of doing it to me.

Kind of like telling someone who's changing their ball joints to take the knuckle assembly to a machine shop to have them pressed out. Sure, you can do that. Or you could just smack 'em with a big ass hammer.

sillysod
02-23-2010, 04:19 PM
ive used a sledge on three floors and a concrete saw on two.

unless its a huge job the sledge is waaay better. you get gassed out a lot with the concrete saw and have to keep taking breaks, plus it makes a really big mess of the entire work space.

the floors are really easy to break up with a sledge.