PDA

View Full Version : Numark NS7 opinions?

gd3_kid
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, I just came into a decent sum of cash and I really want to upgrade my DJ equipment. I'm currently running 2 Technic 1200's, a Vestax VMC-002, and Torq Connectiv.
It was my first setup ever when i started close to 1.5 years ago and its been awesome to learn on. But now that I'm progressing, I'm starting to notice some of Torq's limitations (mainly instability and freezing periodically...very annoying)

Anyways, I've been reading a lot about the NS7 and it sounds like the perfect set up for me....REAL motorized platters with REAL vinyl (even though they're just for feel), ability to cut, loop, and remix in virtually the same way as a CDJ, AND it comes with Serato itch, which I've heard nothing but good things about (despite it not being the most feature packed DVS out there).

So I'm really close to pulling the plug on this purchase, but I wanted to get some opinions on the unit from people with first-hand experience. I know its not the most prevalent unit in the DJ community, but anybody that has actually felt the system, could you let me know what your thoughts were? Is it good enough for a bedroom DJ to progress with (i.e. start playing at clubs, bars, house parties, etc.?)

And finally, would you guys know of any places in Edm/Cal where potential buyers can get a hands-on demo?

Thanks for the help!

BlackRadon
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
well ive was thinking about them too. they are big and heavy..good and bad. there are a few great threads on the DJforums. Might want too search that.

Questions. With all that money you are going to spend on ns7, why dont you get a OP system..like SSL or traktor pro or something along those lines? you could even find a nicer mixer if you wanted for the money you would spend.

you could even go with a vci-300?

What kinda music do you play also?

gd3_kid
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I checked out djforums...most threads I found were people kind of speculating though (based on Numark's reputation) but not many people had hands on experience.
Scratchworx's review was a HUGE help in getting info and it's pretty much what got me interested in the NS7. I kept reading reviews and they all seemed to have nothing but good things to say.

And the unit is heavy, which your right is both good and bad...but I look at it as a replacement for my turntables and not a digital controller cause it has real motorized platters...so from that perspective, its much easier for travelling and set up.

Plus, I think the metal construction and weight that comes with it is reassuring...I think I'd be worried if it was mostly plastic.

And actually, I was originally looking at picking up some CDJ's and getting SSL to go along with it, but 2 CDJ-900's @ ~1500 each, plus SSL @ ~600-700(?) and even just a DJM-400 @ 700, I'm looking at around 4500 for my set up.
Now, I'd totally be willing to pay that, but I looked at the features I wanted from CD's and looked at the NS7, and figured I could get all those features PLUS keep the feel of vinyl at a MUCH cheaper price, AND have a system i could rock easily at house parties (just plug in a laptop and go).

I mostly play hard house and I like to use a lot of hip hop samples, but I'll throw together some happy hardcore, trance, or top 40 sets so I don't get bored lol.

kokanee27
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about the NS7 to be honest,
But i would never buy it simply because if i wanted an all in one, the vestax vci-300 is way more attractive,
smaller and lighter would be key to have if you wanted an all in one unit.

However with the NS7 getting such strong reviews such as the one on skratchworx, the announcement of the V7 from numark seems very intriguing to me,
basically just the platter section of the NS7, and 1 deck can operate two virtual decks,
plus it still leaves the option of picking your own mixer which i like

Also let me add, if you go the cdj + SSL route, I'd suggest using cdj-400's with serato,
I know the platters are smaller but the integration between the cdj and serato is SOO nice, and much more affordable then buying overpriced cdj-900s to use with serato
(i use 400's with serato btw)

BlackRadon
02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
You are looking for brand new prices too. there are deals too be had, Mostly from the states but thats nots really a huge deal. Like kokanee said. nothing but good really. Seems like a pretty soild rig from what i read.

I have both a vci-100 and a 300. Love them both. the 300 is pretty wicked tho. Price is right too.

I dont really know/heard of anyone who has or carries a ns7. I think there are a few on the easy coast.

You would be selling you TT's and all the other gear im guessing?

Check this thread out..tons of info and he owns and uses its.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187606

kokanee27
02-10-2010, 01:03 AM
dont want to de-reail thread, but blackradon, i assume you use both traktor and serato?
which one do you prefer?
I just sold my serato to upgrade to the sl3, but now am thinking about switching to traktor

DannyO
02-10-2010, 01:48 AM
I don't have any experience with either the NS7 or VCI300, but can definitely vouch for Serato's software, its pretty much rock solid, only had 1 crash with it and that was with one of the first versions released, although Traktor has become very stable as well.

Also I'd have to also go with the setup mentioned above, 2 CDJ-400's and SSL would be a deadly little setup, for bedroom DJing I think the Numark should be fine, I know they have improved in reliability over the past few years, but I personally do not trust there products much (although there TTX are rock solid) therefor I'd want to stick to the makes like Pioneer, Vestax etc when playing something like a house party (if you would be using your own gear).

As for mixers, there are a LOT of great choices out there, if you want quality and reliability over anything else, I'd recommend either Rane or Ecler (they have some nice small mixers in the Nuo range, and some awesome mixers in there Evo range), best advise I can give for this though, is don't buy Behringer.

Heads up about Denon though, I have there X1500 and the phono inputs on it seem to of shit the bed, its never in a club and only maybe 5 years old or so, should last MUCH longer than that.:(

Canucks3322
02-10-2010, 02:08 AM
I personally like the look of the VCI300 better...but my sister's friend who is a seasoned DJ reccomends the NS7...isn't Vestax just better in quality anyways.

BlackRadon
02-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Yes ive used traktor pro with the vci-100 and itch with the vci-300. They both have there pros and con too eachother. They are pretty made too be used with the midi controller in mid. Its really almost personal preference too. Some live by traktor other serato. I like itch tho, but like i said before it was made too be used with the vci-300.

Its a great little unit. If you like scatching and such its great, same with the ns7 great for that. You can put the vci-300 in your backpack with you macbook and thats pretty all you need. and some speakers. ns7..not so much haha. probly have too get a flightcase or something for it, but if you really dont plan on moving it much that doesnt really matter.

gd3_kid
02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey guys thanks for the feedback.

haha, I was pretty set on the NS7 before reading everything, but now I'm hearing some instability issues with Itch and Windows? Thats one of the biggest reasons I want to get away from Torq!
I have NO experience or expertise in tweaking windows, so I'd prefer to just have a plug and play experience that was reliable....apparantly ITCH is much more stable with a MAC, can anybody confirm this?

@BlackRadon, yes if I pick up the NS7, I'd most likely be selling my current set up. I'd love to keep my decks around just for nostalgia, but it might not be the best financial deicison. Honestly though, I feel like crap everytime I think about selling my 1200's haha

And I'm kind of second guessing myself now haha...being able to throw a VCI-300 in a backpack and go is a VERY nice feature...I always looked at the NS7 as a replacement for my TT's though and not a controller so size wasn't really an issue for me...but damn, portabiliy sounds nicer and nicer the more I think about it.

Also, the CDJ-400 is starting to look a lot nicer...I've never been a huge user of effects, but the ones built into the 400 would sound really cool with my style of music. Also, theres the advantage of picking your own mixer and running full out SSL.

Any more thoughts? I guess on NS7 vs. VCI-300 vs. CDJ-400 haha

kokanee27
02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
just to add, using the effects on the cdj-400s when using serato does not work

the effects work great on a usb or cd source but dont work with serato,

However i am hoping it will be possible to reassign the effects buttons to serato effects when ssl 2.0 finally drops

BlackRadon
02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Well. thats the bad thing about going digital. There are soo many opitions out there its kinda crazy. If you dont really want EFX, then the 300 is a better option then too the 100. The vci-100 is more programable and has more bottons.

As for the windows problem. I really havent heard much. Win7 or XP? i read some ppl having problems with 7 but not on XP. Something about having problems about the drivers for the cdj-400 not being able to run with W7 64bit. You have enought time too research more into tho. I really not too sure.

Thats why i bought the 300. its a great little package that you can pretty much bring anywhere. the vci-300 has great platter control and is adjustable for your needs. Ive heard TONS of ppl liking the ns7 for sctaching and such. But same goes with the vci-300. With the music you play i dont think its a HUGE deal if you sctaching aspect is lacking. Plus, for the price of the vci-300 you could keep your TT's and with the money you saved you could buy SSL and have both.

Thats pretty much why i buy controls. they are small and get the job done. the 300 was probly the best thing ive bought in awhile its really fun and easy too use. itch is great.

Best thing too do is tons of researching. Watch videos,read reviews.

On and site note. IF you do end up selling your TT. you sould PM me when you if/do want to sell them. I might pick them up haha.

gd3_kid
02-11-2010, 09:59 AM
@ BlackRadon, yeah I'll definitely let you know if I end up selling my Tech's!

As for the VCI, I've been doing some more research on it, and I'm really liking the size, performance (especially of the platters) and ease of use with it. There are a few things that are kind of bugging me though, and I was hoping you might be able to give me some feedback on them:

First, the VCI has only 3 cue point buttons...Even with Torq, I'm used to having 5 hot cue presets, and i almost always use them all (i rarely use less then 4 on a track). BlackRadon, have you found this to be limiting/annoying at all? or have you found any ways around having only 3 buttons?

Second, reviews I've been reading have talked about the pitch slider being "unvconventional" and uneccessarily complicated. Apparantly, its not just as easy as sliding the pitch fader up and down. Is any of this accurate? Or am I missing something here?

Finally, I know the NS7 is really big, but if I did manage to get into clubs, how realistic do you think it is to be able to hook up my NS7 controller to the club's system? I know places usually have their own equipment, but even if they do, it would probably just be a matter of unplugging one of their CDJ's and hooking my controller up to one of the channels on their mixer and then firing up the laptop (cause the soundcard interface is built into the controller).
I'm wondering if there would be space though, which is another advantage to the VCI. Anybody have any experience or have seen the Ns7 in any clubs recently?

THanks

BlackRadon
02-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Yes, it only has 3+1 temporary. Its doesnt really bother me becase ive been used too it. Its the same as the vci-100. Ive also read ppl complaining about that too, i think i read on dj forums that they are working on the newer softwear where it will "make it better" type of deal. With saying that. i think the ns7 has 5 que points you can set..i think.

Here is a really good review on the 300 if you havent seen it already...he ask serato about pitch vader quesion you had. Take a look. Pretty kool size comparison too the ns7.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/vci300.php

gd3_kid
02-13-2010, 02:02 AM
So I went to Axe music today to demo the NS7...I gotta say I was VERY impressed.

The cues and looping functions were incredibly easy to work with and I know I would be using the halving button (cuts loops in half over and over) a lot during my sets
The fader start is pretty cool too, great for beat juggling.

The platter worried me at first...when the guy first set it up and I tried spinning it, it didn't even register in ITCH. I had to apply quite a lot of pressure just to get it to recognize I was touching it. Turns out, you really need to tighten something on the spindle...after we did that it worked almost flawlessly...I'm not a scratch DJ, but the very basic scratches I do use I could pull off easily on the NS7, I didn't experience any noticeable lag or drift.

And it's not as heavy as I was expecting it to be..sure its' not even in the same league of portability as the VCI-300 (which was actually much smaller then I was expecting it to be), but NS7 is definitely something I could travel with to parties, etc. Plus, if you have limited space, if you don't use the laptop stand, the unit has a pretty small footprint (or maybe I'm just used to a 2 deck + mixer set up). but I can't imagine many clubs, even with their own equipment, not being able to accomodate this thing.

Anyways, that demo has really pushed me in the direction of the NS7, and it looks like thats gonna be my next purchase!

BlackRadon
02-14-2010, 12:10 AM
wicked. Hope t works out for you man.

psycoticclown
02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Anybody have experience with the Stanton SCS.3D and SCS.3M: http://www.enterthesystem.com/system3/

Every review says they are really good, they are small and relatively cheap also. Thoughts?

Canucks3322
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
^ hey that looks pretty cool, never seen that, how much is it???

I wanted something a LITTLE bit better so I picked up the Numark Stealth controller today....300 bucks can't really go wrong, I'm still a beginner so this is good....will probably go up to the VCI300/Itch combo next, the NS7 is wayyyyyy too much money to be spending on a hobby haha

PS...anyone know anyone that wants to buy a 1 month old Numark Total Control, great for learn the basics of mixing on, I will also include Traktor LE with it (came with my new Stealth and I already have it), no audio interface though

psycoticclown
02-16-2010, 08:15 PM
They're only $240 each brand new from Long & Mcquade or Axe. A lot cheaper if you order online, some places are selling them for $150 each.

gd3_kid
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
^ hey that looks pretty cool, never seen that, how much is it???

I wanted something a LITTLE bit better so I picked up the Numark Stealth controller today....300 bucks can't really go wrong, I'm still a beginner so this is good....will probably go up to the VCI300/Itch combo next, the NS7 is wayyyyyy too much money to be spending on a hobby haha

PS...anyone know anyone that wants to buy a 1 month old Numark Total Control, great for learn the basics of mixing on, I will also include Traktor LE with it (came with my new Stealth and I already have it), no audio interface though

haha, IMO if you really want to get into Djing, even as a hobby, 1650 (the price of a new NS7) is really not that much money...DJing is an expensive hobby and high quality DJ gear is not cheap, but its not cheap for a reason.

Its like dropping a couple grand on a set of Taylor Made golf clubs, or a turbocharger for your car....you gotta pay to play.

Canucks3322
02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
^ haha yea I know...I seen that NS7 in videos, there's a reason why it's the mother of all MIDI controllers right now...:thumbsup: you are lucky

gd3_kid
02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Just picked up my NS7 from Axemusic yesterday.

First impressions: my god is this thing built like a rock....every button, switch and knob feels solid, and the cross fader in particular is a joy to use (coming from my Vestax VMC-002, which wasn't the worst, but certainly in the lower range).
The platters are incredible as well, really sturdy and very high torque. This thing isn't as heavy as I was expecting...I kept reading that it was ridiculously large and heavy, but for me thats not the case...like I said before, I viewed this as a TT+mixer replacement (even though its a controller at heart) and in that sense this thing is much smaller then my old 1200's set up (probably about 60-70% of the size, and WAY lighter) so its a nice change for me....way less wiring too. Plus, the laptop stand is a very nice, high quality extra....even though i probably won't use it, it just helps reassure me that this is a professional-grade product (or close to it)
Having said that, if comparing to OTHER controllers, this thing is a BEAST...I can't even imagine how someone might cross shop a VCI with this if I was just looking at size and weight.

I haven't installed itch yet...I have a feeling I'm gonna have problems on my 2 year old Windows Vista machine, but we'll see what happens.

I'll let you know how it runs on my PC, but so far...VERY impressed with the build quality and presence of the NS7.

Canucks3322
02-28-2010, 03:38 AM
^ I'm gonna be ready to move up from my newbie Numark Stealth Controller soon to something more professional, and from what I've read, this is very professional as far as DJ controllers are concerned...where did you buy this in Calgary and how much??????

Canucks3322
02-28-2010, 03:41 AM
Nevermind, just read it, Axe Music lol...do they have layaway plans?? haha

psycoticclown
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Gah, jealous at your NS7. Just got my SCS3 system, pretty good, really flexible and pretty cheap too. Tons of fun.

Donmega
03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
The NS7 is so much fun to use :)

Canucks3322
03-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Ok, so is this gonna be the new industry standard??? I mean, is this what DJ's in the usual clubs are gonna be using in say 2 years???? The reason I ask is we all know this is where the industry is moving....with more and more DJ's moving to MP3's, the CDJ's are gonna go the way of the turntable...... I know Vestax is making it's own controller with a real moving turntable on it and it will be sold on it's own so you buy 2 and the mixer to make a set....any other ones coming out???

jazzyb
03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
hey guys,

I'm looking for an affordable midi controller which has stereo out and mic in, any reccomendations??

I'm not looking to become a DJ just something to play around with.

Canucks3322
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
I still got my Numark Total Control for sale, you just need to buy the audio input (150-ish?), would be cheaper than buying the whole kit brand new....I think the next cheapest you'd go with is the Numark Omni Control which goes for 650-ish?

jazzyb
03-04-2010, 05:22 PM
canuck check pm