PDA

View Full Version : E36 dying while driving problem

eg_eric
02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
hey Beyond, i don't know if I can post here. have an auto '94 320i sedan and was hoping to see if someone has had a similar problem i do.

While driving my e36, the engine shuts off. It's not a low-rpm sputter shut off but rather a driving at 1,500-2,500 rpm at about 50km/h and it will just suddenly die, and all the cluster lights turn on. When idling it never dies.

I'm not sure what could be the problem could be, but i'll mention some of the things that might be related.
- The car has been sitting for 5 months
- I recently changed the dme that came from another 320i,
- The car muffler sounds like there is a misfire in it,
- When you press on the gas it doesn't feel like the car pulls like it should (Air sensor maybe?)
- Power steering rack looks like it's leaking
- The car has overheated before
- Has Auto Starter

Any ideas?

Clever
02-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Have you tested the battery? Used to happen to my car until I replaced the battery, and it did happen after the car was garaged for about 3-4 months.

eg_eric
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
aha, It could well just be the battery. It was dead when i tried to start it up again, and I gave it a jump start (and it was cold outside).

I just took it for a drive for an hour and it hasn't died again. I'll go get the battery tested, and see if it's unable to hold a charge.

Clever
02-09-2010, 09:41 PM
It'll also tell you how your alternator is from a load test. That could be it as well.

97'Scort
02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Did you wand-wash it?

G-ZUS
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Did you wand-wash it?

i have seen a post by OP saying he wand washed it and friend his DME

eg_eric
02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Don't think it's a DME problem this time, and it was an auto car wash that fried it the first time. never had a problem with wand wash.

Anyway I seem to have figured out the problem(s).
1. Battery was indeed no good anymore, bought a new one, car fired right up and without struggle.
2. One of the spark plugs was not tightened all the way causing no contact, thus the misfire and lack of power feeling is gone now.

Also, as a precaution, I bought a new fuel pump and installed it, gave it an oil change, replaced the rad, new BMW coolant, and a squash air freshener. :thumbsup:

It hasn't turned off on me again yet, and it's running SMOOOOTH. Will post if anything comes up again.

:burnout:

xxxazntigerxx
02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
fuel pump