PDA

View Full Version : Removing old marks on transcript? Possible?

UndrgroundRider
02-11-2010, 10:07 AM
My wife is looking to go back to the UofC. She was a student there back when she was 18, but did not complete her degree. Instead of withdrawing from her courses she simply stopped going. Brilliant, I know. Anyway, now she has several 0's on her transcripts and the admissions board did not accept her application. Is there anything that can be done about this?

The rest of her grades are A's or A+'s.

GQBalla
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
unfortunately there's no way

ercchry
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
apply with highschool marks
take classes that she still needs
????
degree

UndrgroundRider
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
apply with highschool marks
take classes that she still needs
????
degree

This is what she tried to do, but apparently everything is all linked together with her Alberta Student ID and it automatically found her old U of C transcripts. Unless you know of any secrets to bypass this?

Her high school marks are all 85%+, so there's no need to upgrade anything. And she is considered a mature student now...

ercchry
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
only other thing i can think of then is MRU or sait and transfer to U of C?

GQBalla
02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
talk to administration and see why she was denied?

unfortunately when looking at 2 transcripts compared to each other, they are goin to take the one with out any 0s on it

colinxx235
02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
as well I was under the impression that after xx number of years your previous courses became "outdated" and no longer valid...?

V6-BoI
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
as well I was under the impression that after xx number of years your previous courses became "outdated" and no longer valid...?

I've heard about that too, but I think that's after 10 years.

magicalpoop
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Impossible. You must speak with an admissions officer and go through a long process. I would imagine with several 0's, your wife was required to withdraw. You only have to wait 1 year before readmission.

But she cannot simply go online, she will most likely have to book an appointment; talk to an admissions person; write up a letter why things will be different this time around.

Doesn't matter if she's a mature student or 10 years have passed, once you have a R.T.W. status - you have to manually get it lifted I believe.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/transfer_withdraw

hampstor
02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
She'll probably have to prove herself to them by going to another school, getting good grades there and reapplying at the UofC.

That's probably her best chance of getting back in. Consider taking a similar program at another institution on a transfer program where you know the courses she takes will be transferable as pre-reqs.

I've had friends who had had an RTW and that's pretty much the only way you're going to get back in after the admission board denies you. The terms might have changed since then, but he had to do 1 full year at another institution (he went to MRC) before they'd even consider him again.

best of luck

urban.one
02-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Bad grades will always stick with you. Its worse than a criminal record which youre able to get a pardon for.

Talk to to an admissions counselor. You wont be able to get the bad grades off the transcript but you may be able to get special consideration for your application.
An option may be to enroll as a continuing ed student and take some courses that way and then reapply to the faculty.

Cos
02-11-2010, 06:10 PM
you can take the classes again, do better and they are replaced. You would have to apply for general studies and talk to the admissions people but that is the best I can think of.

gatorade
02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I dont think old marks get replaced I took a class with one prof got an f, then the same class with another prof and got a a-

rixxx
02-12-2010, 12:54 AM

Spoons
02-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by rixxx

Yea and the lower mark is on your transcript but doesn't count towards your GPA

No both marks are still considered towards your GPA.

msommers
02-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Get her to go to the registrar and ask to be given names for appeal board and/or someone higher up dealing with application review/assessment. I had an issue with my application my first year at the UofC. It wasn't because of marks though.

The girl I talked to was Kathy Brownlee, email here:
[email protected]

I just checked the directory and it seems she is in Quatar. I'd try emailing and explaining the situation regardless, and she should know who to contact if she is no longer situation in the registrar deparment. I'd go to the registrar in addition to emailing.

Best of luck.

ps. the process of appeal and review is long as fuck, even when it is a simple fix.

EDIT: You can also try here - http://www.ucalgary.ca/ses/contact

rinny
02-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

No both marks are still considered towards your GPA.

This.

rixxx
02-12-2010, 02:07 PM

UndrgroundRider
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for all the help. She contacted admissions, and did not have a RTW. The reason she was denied was because her GPA was too low (including the 0's she had). She was told to take three courses through another institution and get A's, which would bring her GPA up enough. She can also take courses that offer transfer credit, so the plan is to just do one semester somewhere else.

Spoons
02-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
Thanks for all the help. She contacted admissions, and did not have a RTW. The reason she was denied was because her GPA was too low (including the 0's she had). She was told to take three courses through another institution and get A's, which would bring her GPA up enough. She can also take courses that offer transfer credit, so the plan is to just do one semester somewhere else.

Easiest way. Appeal boards are full of assholes too. My friend suffered under depression, parents divorcing, and his brothers death, all well documented and with proof. They told him no. Lawsuit? Yes. But who wants to deal with that.

Honestly go somewhere else than U of C. It is all fine and dandy if you do EXACTLY what they want, but any complications, they avoid you like the black plague. Mind you continuous hikes in tuition costs, etc. U of C is a school that thinks they are Harvard when they don't know shit.

I have a very biased opinion, but I have been through mounds upon mounds of shit with that school, and I will NEVER touch it again. EVER. Whats happening now is not even a dent in the surface on what they can pull. I have one yearish of engineering under my belt that does me shit, and out one years tuition. I should have just handed U of C my first years cost and just left, cause they pretty well stole it. One big headache.

UndrgroundRider
02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I have a very biased opinion, but I have been through mounds upon mounds of shit with that school, and I will NEVER touch it again. EVER. Whats happening now is not even a dent in the surface on what they can pull. I have one yearish of engineering under my belt that does me shit, and out one years tuition. I should have just handed U of C my first years cost and just left, cause they pretty well stole it. One big headache.

I went to the UofC for two years before GTFOing... I could rant for hours about how much I hate that place. The only reason she is going to the UofC is because it's much closer for us, and we can't leave Calgary. It's the only university I've ever attended where they don't seem to realize YOU are the customer.

I spent some time at the UofA and UBC, and wow, what a difference. If only I could deal with living in Edmonton... but I digress.

Spoons
02-13-2010, 04:03 PM

I went to the UofC for two years before GTFOing... I could rant for hours about how much I hate that place. The only reason she is going to the UofC is because it's much closer for us, and we can't leave Calgary. It's the only university I've ever attended where they don't seem to realize YOU are the customer.

I spent some time at the UofA and UBC, and wow, what a difference. If only I could deal with living in Edmonton... but I digress.

To be honest if she is just looking for her bachelors, I would suggest her just staying with MRU. It is a university now, and as much as people say the school you go to matters, for a bachelors? Not so much anymore.

Plus I am sure tons of kids come out of UofC with a bachelors in commerce thinking they are the shit and companies have seen that. To be honest with the stuff that has been happening to UofC and the all around displeased students, MRU might be better than UofC pretty soon here. I know so many people who have dropped UofC to go to MRU.

gqmw
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM

To be honest if she is just looking for her bachelors, I would suggest her just staying with MRU. It is a university now, and as much as people say the school you go to matters, for a bachelors? Not so much anymore.

Plus I am sure tons of kids come out of UofC with a bachelors in commerce thinking they are the shit and companies have seen that. To be honest with the stuff that has been happening to UofC and the all around displeased students, MRU might be better than UofC pretty soon here. I know so many people who have dropped UofC to go to MRU.

I completely agree with this post, I'd totally go to MRU for the smaller class sizes if it wasn't so far away from where I live. Where as UofC takes me like 10 minutes to get to.

UndrgroundRider
02-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by gqmw

I completely agree with this post, I'd totally go to MRU for the smaller class sizes if it wasn't so far away from where I live. Where as UofC takes me like 10 minutes to get to.

Yup, we're in the same boat. 10 minutes to UofC, 45 to MRU if there are no accidents on deerfoot :rolleyes:

GT4rally
02-22-2010, 01:45 AM

Yup, we're in the same boat. 10 minutes to UofC, 45 to MRU if there are no accidents on deerfoot :rolleyes:

Yeah, but the way better parking situation at MRU makes up for it. I still can't believe I paid $1000 for an art parkade pass at U of C! I paid $180 for the whole year parking at MRC 2 years ago... and the lot was right next to the school.

gatorade
02-22-2010, 04:13 AM
1000 dollars to park per year at uofc?

magicalpoop
02-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by gatorade
1000 dollars to park per year at uofc?

It's 150$ per semester to park at MRU. Next year the parkade is finished so there will be no parking problems.

honestly, going to UofC sucks dick in regards to financial costs, parking, and teaching quality - that is for your undergrad.

Can't say much about it's graduate stuff.