PDA

View Full Version : Buying Car From US

BigShow
11-29-2003, 05:49 PM
I've tried searching

If I were to win an auction on eBay, for a car in the U.S. And I wanted to go there to pick it up and drive it back, what are the costs and taxes I'd be looking at?

Does anyone have personal experience?

oasis
11-29-2003, 06:37 PM
i just imported a car for my GF about 3 weeks ago that we bought on ebay ,it was a bit of paperwork and some fees but other then that it was no big deal, here's some info you'll need:

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/README.html

www.riv.ca

these are the fees you'll have to pay at the boarder.
RIV fee = $182.00 CND
A/C tax = $100.00 CND
7% GST
6.1% DUTIES on import cars

on my GF's car (98 328ic cab) we had to install daytime runing lights and french/english warning labels for the aig bags.

mike

ehos
11-29-2003, 11:23 PM
How much did you wind up paying in total? (Ie GST and duty?)

Just wondering how they figured out how much your car was worth etc.

How much hassle etc was it? And how much for the federal inspection/daytime lights etc?

Sorry for all the questions!

max_boost
11-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Oasis, did you get a good deal because that is quite a bit of work considering there are a few E36 cabs around

oasis
11-30-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Oasis, did you get a good deal because that is quite a bit of work considering there are a few E36 cabs around

i could'nt find any nice ones in canada for a good price it seems like people are asking an avg. of about 28 and up. I found some out east in the mid to low twenty's but they where all auto's. After everything said and done the car ended up costing just under $23000.00 cnd i thought it was a steel for a 98 with just over a 100k, plus the car is from texas so it's prob never seen winter.

mike

Weapon_R
11-30-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by oasis

i could'nt find any nice ones in canada for a good price it seems like people are asking an avg. of about 28 and up. I found some out east in the mid to low twenty's but they where all auto's. After everything said and done the car ended up costing just under $23000.00 cnd i thought it was a steel for a 98 with just over a 100k, plus the car is from texas so it's prob never seen winter.

mike

Didn't FD just buy a 1997 for 20k? About the same mileage too?

max_boost
11-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by oasis

mike Dam buddy, that is a sweet ass deal!!!:thumbsup: Congrats on the purchase