PDA

View Full Version : Insurance questions

Boostzilla
02-11-2010, 03:03 PM
hey guys I drive a s13 180sx and im currently paying $200 a month for just basic coverage (pl pd). Ive been shopping around to try and find a company that could give me a better rate, but as soon as I mention that the car is RHD they freak out and refuse to insure it, let alone offer collision coverage. Just wondering who you guys are insured through and where I could possibly get collision coverage? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

ercchry
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
if you are paying that for plpd per month... collision is not going to be worth while

but pm maskedbandit, Bill is my broker and got me a much better rate then i use to have

BrianV
02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
My RHD is insured with Aviva. Its under as a special interest vehicle and cost me $264 a year. Only works if its not your primary vehicle though. I'm in Ontario, but I'm pretty sure Aviva is Canada wide.

ercchry
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by BrianV
My RHD is insured with Aviva. Its under as a special interest vehicle and cost me $264 a year. Only works if its not your primary vehicle though. I'm in Ontario, but I'm pretty sure Aviva is Canada wide.

pretty sure that will never happen in alberta

friedn00dles
02-11-2010, 03:21 PM
At my brokerage

The following companies do not offer Section C coverage to imported right-hand vehicles:

ING
Pembridge

The following companies will offer Section C coverage to imported right-hand vehicles, subject to additional underwriting and restrictions:

Aviva treats each risk on its own merit. They do not decline section C just because it is a right-hand vehicle however, it is a component in the assessment of each risk and plays a role in determining whether they will offer or not. These risks should be referred.

Dominion will request an appraisal if Section C coverage is desired. They advise most of these vehicles do not have proper VIN's and have to be rated by price.

Economical will offer Section C coverage to these types of vehicles but they will also apply an SEF19 to the vehicle and use the rate groups that correspond to the purchase price provided by the insured.

SGI applies a 50% surcharge to all Section C coverage for imported right-hand vehicles.

When its all said and done. Economical's rates aren't bad for full coverage on a RHD

Boostzilla
02-11-2010, 03:29 PM
very detailed answer great thanks a bunch

Masked Bandit
02-11-2010, 04:08 PM
At $200 a month I'm going to guess you haven't been driving all that long and you've got a few "sins" on your driving record?

Boostzilla
02-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I've been driving for 5 years so that's not the problem...but ya there are a few "sins" as you put it on my record. Lol well one of them comes off my record next month thankfully