PDA

View Full Version : SpeechEasy. Does it help?

travism91
02-12-2010, 02:14 AM
SpeechEasy is basically an anti-stuttering device which is placed in ones ear. This device is equipped with digital technology that facilitates delayed audio feedback of the persons voice to inhibit stuttering. I don't know if it could be possible to make one from scratch without SpeechEasy's medical "secrets".

Anyway recently I was at my little bro's parent/ teacher meeting and noticed some of his pears taunt and make fun of him because of his stuttering in class. He has been stuttering since he could talk and I really think enough is enough. He is a very bright little dude that likes to express his opinions but is too afraid/ anxious because of this problem.

If anyone has ever heard or know of someone who has used this and had a drastic change in their ability to communicate, i would appreciate the feedback.

http://www.speecheasy.com/

http://www.speecheasy.com/

gqmw
02-12-2010, 03:19 AM
How bad is the stuttering? I think the rude comments will stop eventually, once he hits a certain age. Although if it's really that bad then yeah you should probably try something. I can't comment on the speacheasy though, didn't know about it till you linked us.

Masked Bandit
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
All I know is that stuttering can be pretty damaging from an emotional perspective so I would try anything I can to help the guy out.

PureDeXteritY
02-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I saw a 20/20 special on this device, hosted by John Stossal (he used to stutter). This device seemed to have work well for the girl on the show. However, they mentioned that it does lose its effectiveness once the user gets use to the audio feedback.

It doesn't seem like a long term solution.

USED1
02-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I would look into getting a speech therapist. I know that they are available through most school boards.

Shunsui
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Speech therapist I think is the best choice. My friend back in middle school used to have it and he used a speech therapist over the summer and it was completely gone.

travism91
02-12-2010, 02:49 PM
He has been seeing a speech therapist for the past 1.5 years with no improvements. I'm only worried now because he will be attending high school soon. Everyone knows how much little mongral high school kids act toward one another.